Roush blower discussion

corepwn

Established Member
I may be mistaken but one of the issues with the Magnusen blower was that the throttle body was a fixed single blade unit where the Roush has the ability to bolt on different TBs. The Mag. also rides the front of the crank snout instead of the first sheave like the Roush which puts more stress on the crank IMO.

There is no cutting of the fascia for the heat exchanger, and the timing cover grinding really isn't bad.

Here's mine after the timing cover grinding.

7Tfnj.jpg

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
I will be going SC in the next 60 days. From the research I've done, the Mag. is certainly easier to install. Pound for pound, it does make about the same HP that Roush does.

However, the Roush has so many more shops working out great tunes, e.g. VMP, Brenspeed, etc. The different variables like pulleys, intakes, etc. have all been perfected, where as the Mag. is still relatively new.

Tucker

I got mine for the '11 from VMP and then swapped it on my '13.

198731_10151177760702155_7563819_n.jpg

With a good tune you can make 600 on 8.5 PSI, 650 on 10.5 PSI and we made close to 700 RWHP on 14 PSI (look for this in an upcoming 5.0 article)

Jay

corepwn

Established Member
With a good tune you can make 600 on 8.5 PSI, 650 on 10.5 PSI and we made close to 700 RWHP on 14 PSI (look for this in an upcoming 5.0 article)

Jay

The 14psi dyno number seems a little off. I thought Justin was putting down around 700rwhp with 12-12.5psi and his auto when he ran his 9.7s.

Either way, 600-650 is easily obtained as you're one of many to prove.

.. plus there's track results to back up the dyno sheets. For some reason you still can't find a single person with an unmodded hellion kit and a track pass.

Tucker

The 14psi dyno number seems a little off. I thought Justin was putting down around 700rwhp with 12-12.5psi and his auto when he ran his 9.7s.

Either way, 600-650 is easily obtained as you're one of many to prove.

.. plus there's track results to back up the dyno sheets. For some reason you still can't find a single person with an unmodded hellion kit and a track pass.

As you know getting a good boost reading in impossible with the location Roush gives us, so it's really hard to tell the exact boost.

When we did it, the belt was slipping and fuel pumps were maxed, so on went a tighter belt and a JMS PowerMax BAP

I was pretty stoked to see those numbers with a 900 mile car ;)

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Magnuson vs. Roush is there a real power difference? Or are they both basically the same 2.3 TVS units underneath? Also, how does the Magnuson compare price wise? These look like a great way to go. Do they slam you back in the seat and whine like the 03/04 Cobra's?

From what I've seen # for # the Roush seems to make more torque and the Magnuson makes more power. I believe it comes from the Roush kit having more intake volume, but that's just a theory. They both use the same 2.3 TVS rotor pack from Eaton. As mentioned earlier the 5.0 is typically less violent than and 03, and that's basically all in the tuning.

Good questions. It's my understanding that the Coyote is much smoother and not as violent as the Cobras. That's why I made this thread though, to get some first hand experience from owners of these setups.

Btw, so far from I have read I like what I see about the ease of install with the Magnunson blower, but it seems to make less power but the write up I've read so far was only on 7lbs of boost where most people with the Roush are running 9-10lbs. I'm still reading though, I'd imagine it picked up at least 1lb of boost with the CAI change. Going to go read that now. :)

I have some smaller pulleys to try in the next couple months. Should be making my rounds to get things installed, tuned, and tested after SEMA.

I may be mistaken but one of the issues with the Magnusen blower was that the throttle body was a fixed single blade unit where the Roush has the ability to bolt on different TBs. The Mag. also rides the front of the crank snout instead of the first sheave like the Roush which puts more stress on the crank IMO.

There is no cutting of the fascia for the heat exchanger, and the timing cover grinding really isn't bad.

Here's mine after the timing cover grinding.

7Tfnj.jpg

The Magnuson shares the main FEAD belt.

I will be going SC in the next 60 days. From the research I've done, the Mag. is certainly easier to install. Pound for pound, it does make about the same HP that Roush does.

However, the Roush has so many more shops working out great tunes, e.g. VMP, Brenspeed, etc. The different variables like pulleys, intakes, etc. have all been perfected, where as the Mag. is still relatively new.

The Roush blower definitely has more aftermarket support at this point, but I'm working with quite a few vendors to try to get more parts out there for the Magnuson. You should see a few more parts and upgrades trickle out after SEMA.

What's the realistic lifespan of a boosted Coyote motor with the stock internals?

Depends on way too many variable to put a specific number on.

As you know getting a good boost reading in impossible with the location Roush gives us, so it's really hard to tell the exact boost.

When we did it, the belt was slipping and fuel pumps were maxed, so on went a tighter belt and a JMS PowerMax BAP

I was pretty stoked to see those numbers with a 900 mile car ;)

What size injectors are you running Jay?

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
What's the realistic lifespan of a boosted Coyote motor with the stock internals?

As with any power adder setup, it's all in how you treat it and the tune. My 93 Cobra made over 500rw on the stock block for many years and the taboo thing is anything over 450rw on a stock block it's a "ticking time bomb". That is only true if you are beating the crap out of the car at every red light like a maniac. lol A bad tune or a bad tank of gas with an aggressive tune are the silent killers to worry about. Which is why I don't mess with "canned" tunes.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
By the way, I finished reading both those articles on the Magnuson blower. I really like what I see with exception of the Frankenstein CAI. I'd seriously consider that blower if that issue is worked out sometime soon. :)

Travis - I hope you don't mind if I bend your ear a little bit at SEMA on this set up. :)

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member

Jay

I see a bunch of dress up parts under dat hood I wants!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
By the way, I finished reading both those articles on the Magnuson blower. I really like what I see with exception of the Frankenstein CAI. I'd seriously consider that blower if that issue is worked out sometime soon. :)

Travis - I hope you don't mind if I bend your ear a little bit at SEMA on this set up. :)

I'll be there all week. Did you see the pic I just posted of the new intake pipe?

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
I think the Magnuson looks like an aardvark on your engine and as already pointed out you're limited on throttle body. Go with the Roush then you have the platform to bolt on a 2.9 or even 4.0 down the road if you go nuts. Having owned a 2.3 Whipple I think it's got nothing on a TVS.

jojobee

Established Member

Jay

600 on 8.5 psi with a good tune !

What supporting mods in there to reach 600 with a 82 mm pulley

I have a Vmp tune and 85 mm pulley (8 psi) and im around 520!

Users who are viewing this thread