Roller Rocker Upgrades?

AaronK

Established Member
A friend and I are doing a similar build on our 03 Cobras. Without going into too much detail, it'll be a built motor with a 4.0 Whipple and anticipating around 27-30 lbs of boost. Custom cams and ported heads as well.

I spoke to MMR about a few things, and they recommended to upgrade to the Jesel Roller Rockers (Modular Engine Components)

I've never heard of people upgrading the Cobra roller rockers but then again, I don't know too many people with such a custom, high-power build. It's hard to justify another $3,700 for roller rockers, but if I'm putting a large amount of money into valves, springs, cams, etc, I would hate to have a roller rocker break and damage something.

Has anyone had any experience with these? Are there any other alternatives? And is upgrading them even necessary?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
A friend and I are doing a similar build on our 03 Cobras. Without going into too much detail, it'll be a built motor with a 4.0 Whipple and anticipating around 27-30 lbs of boost. Custom cams and ported heads as well.

I spoke to MMR about a few things, and they recommended to upgrade to the Jesel Roller Rockers (Modular Engine Components)

I've never heard of people upgrading the Cobra roller rockers but then again, I don't know too many people with such a custom, high-power build. It's hard to justify another $3,700 for roller rockers, but if I'm putting a large amount of money into valves, springs, cams, etc, I would hate to have a roller rocker break and damage something.

Has anyone had any experience with these? Are there any other alternatives? And is upgrading them even necessary?

How high do you plan on twisting this thing? I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but those are oriented for very high rpm usage.

Your predetermined red line should be dictating whether you need these not. Not some random guys on a forum, and that includes me. Ultra high rpm opens up a whole can of NEW WORMS because of the physics involved get pretty crazy exponentially.

AaronK

Established Member
How high do you plan on twisting this thing? I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but those are oriented for very high rpm usage.

Your predetermined red line should be dictating whether you need these not. Not some random guys on a forum, and that includes me. Ultra high rpm opens up a whole can of NEW WORMS because of the physics involved get pretty crazy exponentially.

What would constitute "ultra high" ... I'm planning on spinning around 7,200 rpm. Too high??

TRBO VNM

While I am not an engine builder, I know plenty of people who spin the stock engine to 7000. Jimmy is probably talking about 8000 plus?

AaronK

Established Member
While I am not an engine builder, I know plenty of people who spin the stock engine to 7000. Jimmy is probably talking about 8000 plus?

That's what I would consider high...

I'm more or less trying to find out if MMR were just being "salesman" or if this is really something I should invest in. Because MMR never asked about my RPM range or redline...

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Stockers pop off now and then. Is that a result of the followers themselves?

Ironhand

Banned
Stockers pop off now and then. Is that a result of the followers themselves?

No, that is due to valve float. The secret to spinning a mod motor high is springs, titanium retainers, and lighter after market valves. It keeps the moving mass down and you can spin the motor to 8-9K if the cams allow you to do so.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
the jesels aren't worth the money for your application- however if you are bound and determined to use different rockers- I suggest the ford GT rockers as they are lighter than the stockers, and can be had for a very reasonable price- modular headshop offers them. pretty sure Nick will back me up on that suggestion, but no 7200rpm is not high at all.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The Jesels are great but the average guy does not need them, a great upgrade for the money is the Gt500/Ford GT supercar rocker Products » Modular Engine Components » FORD » PN#444874 Ford GT Supercar /GT 500 Roller Rockers

They are a direct replacement, lighter and stiffer which means less deflection and more lift

MMR

vegasgt500.jpg

Scotty B

Established Member
I run them in my PS motor with the rev limiter at 9500. I have the early aluminum version. I dont like the fact that you cant remove the intake rockers without removing the cams. I think they fixed that with the newer steel version. Other than that, I have had no problems with them. I would think the biggest benifit is from the solid lash adjusters. What are you looking to run for seat pressure on the valve springs? higher seat pressure + rpms + leaky lash adjuster = problems. I think the recommendation for the GT rocker as a upgrade, is a good one at the RPM you are talking. Not sure what rpm the jesels would become necessary. I only have experience at 7000 and 9500. I dont run them in my engine that turns 7000. too much trouble setting the valve lash.

Users who are viewing this thread