Roll racing...... WHY???

Payne Racing 67

Established Member
Last edited:

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
I want to know what kind of suspension and tires these guys have to be concerned about breaking axles on the street?

Tractionless1

Established Member
Roll Racing.....WHY?

......because it takes brains to get a high hp car to hook and there aren't many of them left anymore.

Was talking with a friend about not even watching roll racing on vid. He noted there's not point might as well just bring out dyno sheets! :lol:

F8l Vnm

Established Member
I prefer the rolls better. As most has stated, easier, less problems for the car , no traction and driver mod excuses. Now granted , there is also bickering going on with roll races but for the most part roll races detemrine the faster car and not the better driver or the car with better traction.. Simple. some of you dig guys take is so personal . lol

SD_Stang

Established Member
Dig>Roll Anyone with high horsepower and cookie cutter tires can roll race. Traction can win or loose races.

Edit the problem I see is that eventually there will come a time when a roll race guys pulls up to a light and gets broke off by a slower car because he has no traction. If the roll racer has an ounce of competitiveness he'll feel like he just took a bite of a shit sandwich and won't like the taste in his mouth that no traction leaves.

So do yourselves a favor and be well rounded and not one dimensional or eventually you'll have a bad taste in your mouth.

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
It didn't go to Sd and won't because it doesn't need to and I didn't want it to.

I find it funny that some of the same who say Dig shows the better driver also say if you want to see who is really a better driver go to a road course.

Make up your mind, does dig show better driver or do I need to go to a road course?

So far we have these excuses,
Sticky tires will win from dig
Better driver wins from a dig
Don't want to break things
Wrecks and cops from stopping

That last one is a hoot.
Never once heard of that one but have seen wrecks on the top end pulls and cops also nail roll races.

So it sounds like some need to practice, get better tires, upgrade axles, etc.....

Sounds like dig shows the faster car also, that would the one who got off the line, maintained traction and didn't break.

Saying you lost a dig race because you didn't have sticky tires and he did is no different than saying you lost a roll race because he was turbo and you are NA.

Set up and driver plays a part in both.

We could argue this all night.

Bottom line is different strokes for different folks.

I'll take the dig personally.
Any race is good enough for me. I also said a dig shows who's the better launch driver, not the better driver :shrug:
Not everyone can shift and make the car look like its an auto but also not everyone can launch the car as well as others. The main problem with dig that a lot of people fight with is traction which sticky tires helps improve it by a huge amount or fixes the problem.
With the rest I agree, I dont mind either one.

Still, to show who really has the better driving skills, you need a road course since it uses all of the above and more.

voodoo21

Double Tap
Established Member
Wow, you guys must all have some BIG HP cars to all be worried about breaking things....
Roll race proves nothing. Wanna know who the better driver/car is? Only way to do it is from a dig!

Really? Better car/driver......Depends on how the car is set up...etc

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Dig>Roll Anyone with high horsepower and cookie cutter tires can roll race. Traction can win or loose races.

Edit the problem I see is that eventually there will come a time when a roll race guys pulls up to a light and gets broke off by a slower car because he has no traction. If the roll racer has an ounce of competitiveness he'll feel like he just took a bite of a shit sandwich and won't like the taste in his mouth that no traction leaves.

So do yourselves a favor and be well rounded and not one dimensional or eventually you'll have a bad taste in your mouth.

What standard, sub 800hp roll racing guys are having traction issues? Most guys are gonna have enough tire to hook at 40-60mph. I doubt anyone out there is running a 500hp fwd civic with only 195's up front, or a 700hp gt500 with anything less than 10.5" DR's out back.

Eventually there will come a time when a drag racing guy gets smashed by a stockish AWD car because of just that, traction. Been there before. And no, I wasnt in the losing car, I was an intersection ahead because I had the traction from the dig and not enough HP and enough RPM to jump across the intersection and make the guy next to me (easy 350-400hp fbody) go "holy ****" to what he thought was a modded 1st gen (stock with fmic+3" turboback). Its not hard when you just mash the gas right before it turns green, hit about 5k and a few psi of boost and slip the clutch out and ride it out from 1st to 2nd while the other guy is spinning, then shut down lol'ing at how lame running from a dig is. A boost controller and i wouldve stayed in it through third before he even stopped my pull.

Last edited:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I like both- OP, if you don't like roll racing then don't do it!! Problem solved right:shrug:

What's your next thread - chocolate ice cream sucks!! Who agrees:lol:

72SBC

Established Member
What standard, sub 800hp roll racing guys are having traction issues? Most guys are gonna have enough tire to hook at 40-60mph. I doubt anyone out there is running a 500hp fwd civic with only 195's up front, or a 700hp gt500 with anything less than 10.5" DR's out back.

Eventually there will come a time when a drag racing guy gets smashed by a stockish AWD car because of just that, traction. Been there before. And no, I wasnt in the losing car, I was an intersection ahead because I had the traction from the dig and not enough HP and enough RPM to jump across the intersection and make the guy next to me (easy 350-400hp fbody) go "holy ****" to what he thought was a modded 1st gen (stock with fmic+3" turboback). Its not hard when you just mash the gas right before it turns green, hit about 5k and a few psi of boost and slip the clutch out and ride it out from 1st to 2nd while the other guy is spinning, then shut down lol'ing at how lame running from a dig is. A boost controller and i wouldve stayed in it through third before he even stopped my pull.

My stockish gt500 looses traction at 60mph, I'm way under 800whp.. Also rwd will beat awd everytime if the person knows what they are doing in a serious race. This is coming from someone with quite a few years of street racing experience and won a few bucks from it. Never have I or my buddies lost to any AWD car and I've raced everything from big turbo Evo's to big turbo Skylines. RWD is king for serious stuff.:beer:

Last edited:

NEp8ntballer

Established Member
I want to know what kind of suspension and tires these guys have to be concerned about breaking axles on the street?
star specs and coilovers. I'm worried about it spinning, then finding a spot with good traction and the shock of it grabbing takes out an axle.

boduke0220

Established Member
yea im just going to stop in the middle of the interstate because some guy on the internet called me a pussy for roll racing lol....not

boduke0220

Established Member
It didn't go to Sd and won't because it doesn't need to and I didn't want it to.

I find it funny that some of the same who say Dig shows the better driver also say if you want to see who is really a better driver go to a road course.

Make up your mind, does dig show better driver or do I need to go to a road course?

So far we have these excuses,
Sticky tires will win from dig
Better driver wins from a dig
Don't want to break things
Wrecks and cops from stopping

That last one is a hoot.
Never once heard of that one but have seen wrecks on the top end pulls and cops also nail roll races.

So it sounds like some need to practice, get better tires, upgrade axles, etc.....

Sounds like dig shows the faster car also, that would the one who got off the line, maintained traction and didn't break.

Saying you lost a dig race because you didn't have sticky tires and he did is no different than saying you lost a roll race because he was turbo and you are NA.

Set up and driver plays a part in both.

We could argue this all night.

Bottom line is different strokes for different folks.

I'll take the dig personally.

oh and +1

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Dig is the only thing we can do at the track where I do ALL of my racing. I don't really have a choice.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
"Rollin aint Racing"

But the new crowds prefer to go from a 40 because all they need to do is mash the peddle. Also some have figured out that a decent big HP car may even slip from a 40 and that gives them a chance to jump out front for a few secs, and put the flashers on. Then you get the "I was ahead and shut down" excuse as soon as you pull their slow stuff.

But these are the things you deal with in a street race. From a roll or a dig sometimes. Better to just hit the track...that way you see that BIG ASS BLOODY CLOCK will not lie about how fast or slow you really are.

Users who are viewing this thread