Roll racing...... WHY???

wieduwilt

"30 clips in a mag"
Established Member
Race from a dig to find the better driver, though the car has some to do with it.

Race from a roll to find out who's got the faster car. It basically eliminates the driver element.

mrlrd1

Established Member
Nothing like a roll vs dig argument to weed out all the manual trans pussies. Typical manual trans guy says he likes to shift gears, and that automatics are boring and predictable. Yet that same manual trans guy wants to go from a roll to eliminate any chance of error with the poor trans choice. :bored:

Build a car, not just a motor. You can't race a car without a driver, and you can't race a driver without a car. You race both. Don't like breaking parts? Can't hook? Ditch the manual trans and street tires or put some REAL effort into your car, not just a dyno. Roll racing is for guys with more money than brains or talent.

RedBeauty84ZX

Established Member
Some people don't care who the better driver is, all they want to know is which car has the better power:weight ratio and is ultimately the faster car. Roll racing tells you this, dig racing allows other factors to be more important.

Poppacapp

Established Member
Nothing like a roll vs dig argument to weed out all the manual trans pussies. Typical manual trans guy says he likes to shift gears, and that automatics are boring and predictable. Yet that same manual trans guy wants to go from a roll to eliminate any chance of error with the poor trans choice. :bored:

Build a car, not just a motor. You can't race a car without a driver, and you can't race a driver without a car. You race both. Don't like breaking parts? Can't hook? Ditch the manual trans and street tires or put some REAL effort into your car, not just a dyno. Roll racing is for guys with more money than brains or talent.

I couldnt care less how dig only racers feel. I prefer rolls not because I cant drive..but its what I prefer. Simple as that. I dont preplan races and if i see another car riding along on the highway and they want to play, it will be a roll. Or we could just be dumbasses and stop in the middle of the road like the diggers do.

mrlrd1

Established Member
I couldnt care less how dig only racers feel. I prefer rolls not because I cant drive..but its what I prefer. Simple as that. I dont preplan races and if i see another car riding along on the highway and they want to play, it will be a roll. Or we could just be dumbasses and stop in the middle of the road like the diggers do.

Impromptu roll races are one thing, and aren't really that bad, as long as it's not moon racing. :lol1: Setting up a roll race is a whole other level of stupid. I equate setting up a roll race with your stopping on a busy highway to go from a dig.

I just sit back and laugh at those who preach about manual trans cars requiring skill to drive. Yet when an auto car pulls up, they want a roll race that negates most driver skill. No kidding?

Last edited:

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Nothing like a roll vs dig argument to weed out all the manual trans passes. Typical manual trans guy says he likes to shift gears, and that automatics are boring and predictable. Yet the same manual trans guy wants to go from a roll to eliminate any chance of error with the poor trans choice. :bored:

Build a car, not just a motor. You can't race a car without a driver, and you can't race a driver without a car. You race both. Don't like breaking parts? Can't hook? Ditch the manual trans and street tires or put on the REAL effort into your car, not just a dyno. Roll racing is for guys with more money than brains or talent.
I detect much anger in your post. You must have been smashed on the highway by a higher hp car with a manual trans? I'm pretty sure my car has real effort into it, but apparently that's not real enough for you? We have very few spots to race from a dig in this town and every spot is an 1/8th mile or less. That isn't a race. I'd be happy to have you ride shotgun in my non real car as I brake boost the shit out of it, while watching for my shift light, simultaneously making sure my wideband doesn't go lean, all the while banging the next gear on the 50 to 150 mile non real roll race. You sound like a big blowhard with a slow car who doesn't know what the **** he's talking about.

Last edited:

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
It's easy to throw roll racing under the bus when youre making all of 300hp. I would imagine you probably arent even spinning when you launch with your DR's. It costs you a lot less to hook from a dig than others who need more than just tires, because when you make more power, it's a little more sketchy and not as safe. Especially in IRS cars.

My C5 Z wasn't set up for digs. It was a roll racer. I'm not ashamed to say it. I wasn't about to spend all the money on suspension mods and tires just to impress anyone else or make it a track car. I was fine with my 40 rolls where I could hook and generally so could the guy next to me, and I wouldn't have to worry as much about someone crashing into me off the line. I would only race from a roll in that car because it was on street tires and I didn't feel like breaking it from hard launches. If you wanted to go from a roll, that's fine, but that was my reasoning.

In my stock 02 Formula, ill go from a dig all day long on street tires.

Last edited:

ACJ

Established Member
Some people don't care who the better driver is, all they want to know is which car has the better power:weight ratio and is ultimately the faster car. Roll racing tells you this, dig racing allows other factors to be more important.

There's a App for that ! Roll racing enter your Power to weight ratio :shrug:

Sick03Vert

Banned
Impromptu roll races are one thing, and aren't really that bad, as long as it's not moon racing. :lol1: Setting up a roll race is a whole other level of stupid. I equate setting up a roll race with your stopping on a busy highway to go from a dig.

I just sit back and laugh at those who preach about manual trans cars requiring skill to drive. Yet when an auto car pulls up, they want a roll race that negates most driver skill. No kidding?

You sound like someone with an automatic who got raped from a roll. Just saying.

I prefer rolls because I hate breaking shit. Maybe you need more power. ;-):burn:

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
You cant just compare power to weight ratio and assume the car with the better number is going to win. Even in a roll race you still have to factor in gearing, traction and missed shifts if its a manual. Hell, even heatsoak, bad gas or a myriad of other factors can come into play on any given day that can determine the winner of a roll race.

adidasUNT8

Established Member
I've NEVER lost a roll race. :read:

Breaking shit? Build a better CAR!

You gotta pay to play. Alot of that is breaking shit. Alot of breaking shit is launching hard at low speeds/digs. There is a lot more stress on the suspension and more importantly drivetrain.

Please enlighten us about your better car...

Sick03Vert

Banned
You gotta pay to play. Alot of that is breaking shit. Alot of breaking shit is launching hard at low speeds/digs. There is a lot more stress on the suspension and more importantly drivetrain.

^this.

In for the education I'm apparently about to receive. :bored:

:pop:

mrlrd1

Established Member
You've NEVER lost a roll race? :bored:

No. Never. You're not too bright, are you? I don't roll race :nonono:

I've got a heavy, high 10 second car on a "weak" trans, stock driveshaft, and "weak" 10 bolt rear. 1.49-1.55 60' times like clockwork. No broken parts here.

Poppacapp

Established Member
Dig racing is for people who already know they will lose, but can blame the loss on spinning. :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread