Rocky Mountain High Mile Racing in Colorado September 4-6

Bad Company

Established Member
I have a stock 8.8 that I may part with but to be honest, any good upgrade will weld the axle tubes when installing 9" ends and a regular GT s197 8.8 is fine for that IMO.
Good luck.
-J
From my understanding the 13/14 GT500s have a larger pinion bearing compared to the any of the other Mustang 8.8 rear axles housings. This is why I was trying to find a 13/14 GT500 axle housing. I was planning on having the axle tubes welded to the center housing during the course of building a rear.

SteveWK

Established Member
Let's get a roll call.............

Who's Participating?

NMav
kpinco
Norton
93 347 Cobra
Van@Revan Racing

I called the Country Manor in Watkins, CO., and they still have rooms available. They asked me if I wanted smoking or non-smoking - lol. I still may make it out there. I just don't know yet. I realize you are looking for a final roll call of actual drivers, but I would be participating vicariously from the sidelines.

Last edited:

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I called the Country Manor in Watkins, CO., and they still have rooms available. They asked me if I wanted smoking or non-smoking - lol. I still may make it out there. I just don't know yet. I realize you are looking for a final roll call of actual drivers, but I would be participating vicariously from the sidelines.

I usually make Stillwater in about 8 hours with fuel stops so Wichita to the east of Denver could be done in right about 6. Or are you flying?

SteveWK

Established Member
I'll be out there Sunday watching. Anybody else from here going out?

I thought about it, but haven't followed through with it. Firstly I don't know if I would be allowed to park anywhere near the pits and have to walk 10 miles to see any of you or what? I'd be going to meet other forum members. Is anyone going to still be there Sunday?

Beercules

Established Member
I want to, but I recently curb checked my front wheel at a drive thru and cut into the sidewall. Might have to drive the GF's car down to visit.

Tire.jpg

Last edited:

Bill H...

Established Member
Wish I could have made this event. Was there at Colorado Springs in June for the half mile. My son ran his '14 GT500 at the half mile. I didn't run my GT500 as it would have been a long walk back to Oklahoma if my car broke.

My son was at the mile event yesterday. Ran around 174. He should be there today and tomorrow too.

Bill H...

Van@RevanRacing

We had three drivers of the car I was driving. I made a total of four passes shaking off the rust. Need some seat time.

The third driver of the car go it up over 200 MPH and then ran out of talent as he went through the mile and through the braking zone. He turned the wheel in the grass and the car rotated. Mostly cosmetic damage and nobody from our camp as injured.

Bad Company

Established Member
We had three drivers of the car I was driving. I made a total of four passes shaking off the rust. Need some seat time.

The third driver of the car go it up over 200 MPH and then ran out of talent as he went through the mile and through the braking zone. He turned the wheel in the grass and the car rotated. Mostly cosmetic damage and nobody from our camp as injured.
Van...........this might be a dumb question on my part. After reading this post, are you saying that the braking zone wasn't long enough to bring the car to a safe speed before running out of tarmac? That part of the braking zone is in a grass run off area at the end of the airport runway.

Enlighten me, because of the wording in your post, you have me seriously scratching my head.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Van...........this might be a dumb question on my part. After reading this post, are you saying that the braking zone wasn't long enough to bring the car to a safe speed before running out of tarmac? That part of the braking zone is in a grass run off area at the end of the airport runway.

Enlighten me, because of the wording in your post, you have me seriously scratching my head.

I'm not Van but, having participated in the event on Saturday and Sunday, I was there for some of the runoffs. (There were a handful of them, so Van's third driver was not alone.) The "problem" for that handful of drivers was that the braking zone wasn't long enough FOR THEM to bring their cars to a safe speed for the turn back through the pit area. Since we were using an airport runway, those who ran off the end did so into a grassy area that bordered the runway.

BTW, Van, it was a pleasure to finally meet you. Congrats to you and your team on some GREAT passes!

For anyone interested, I posted a summary of my experience, here, in the Regional Forums.

Last edited:

SteveWK

Established Member
1) Glad everyone survived the inaugural event.

2) Wish I could have been there.

3) The "Talent", I have my theory on that one.

4) Hugs, I love racing.

Steve

Van@RevanRacing

It was the third driver of the car. It was his first pass over 200 MPH and at that speed he didn't use the braking system to its full capacity and simply ran out of braking room. The end came up to fast because he wasn't depressing the brakes hard enough after the mile. Just an error in judgement.

I'm not Van but, having participated in the event on Saturday and Sunday, I was there for some of the runoffs. (There were a handful of them, so Van's third driver was not alone.) The "problem" for that handful of drivers was that the braking zone wasn't long enough FOR THEM to bring their cars to a safe speed for the turn back through the pit area. Since we were using an airport runway, those who ran off the end did so into a grassy area that bordered the runway.

BTW, Van, it was a pleasure to finally meet you. Congrats to you and your team on some GREAT passes!

For anyone interested, I posted a summary of my experience, here, in the Regional Forums.

Great finally meeting you too bud. I had a great weekend. We had a broken belt tensioner that we discover late Friday and finally secured a new one late Saturday afternoon. The car we were all piloting was rock solid.

Consecutive passes all weekend. 202 MPH, 205.2 MPH, 207.9 MPH, 203 MPH (hot lap), 210.1 MPH and a final 203 MPH when the car went for an off track excursion. For three different drivers to make six consecutive passes over 202 MPH is an accomplishment in and of itself. We would have gone for one more had it not been for the off track excursion.

looking forward to Texas.

Van

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Wow awesome runs especially at that DA! How were the Hellcat's running?
Indeed! DA was over 8100 feet!

I wasn't paying close attention but, IIRC, there were two Hellcats there. A stock Charger and a modified (~800HP) Challenger. As I recall, the stock Charger ran ~170MPH, while the modified Challenger managed about ~175MPH. (Anyone paying closer attention, please chime-in if my recollection is off.)

Bad Company

Established Member
It was the third driver of the car. It was his first pass over 200 MPH and at that speed he didn't use the braking system to its full capacity and simply ran out of braking room. The end came up to fast because he wasn't depressing the brakes hard enough after the mile. Just an error in judgement.
Van
I can understand the error, I was just surprised by the way you originally worded it. It had me questioning if the braking area was too short for the speeds being achieved by the cars. You'd be amazed at the length of distance covered to bring 80,000+ lbs down to regular cruise speeds when you get above triple digits when you run out of gear to go any faster. That what is called being young, dumb and having fun. LOL

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Van, it was good to meet you! Steve, yourself, and I did indeed talk briefly about being able to slow down on that fairly short shut-down area. Downshifting made a big difference in slowing the car. The guys doing 180+ must have really been on the brakes hard.

As for the Hellcats, the modded Hellcat is running E85, pullied, and tuned. I saw a couple of 178 passes out of it, not very impressive for those mods. That stock Charger ran 170 on one run but was 168 pretty consistently.

Van@RevanRacing

Van, it was good to meet you! Steve, yourself, and I did indeed talk briefly about being able to slow down on that fairly short shut-down area. Downshifting made a big difference in slowing the car. The guys doing 180+ must have really been on the brakes hard.

As for the Hellcats, the modded Hellcat is running E85, pullied, and tuned. I saw a couple of 178 passes out of it, not very impressive for those mods. That stock Charger ran 170 on one run but was 168 pretty consistently.

I had one customer pick up some MPH based on some coaching and that's always gratifying. One little change and break 170 MPH which was his personal goal. I really didn't pay much attention to the Dodge's out there.

Van

Users who are viewing this thread