Rocky Mountain High Mile Racing in Colorado September 4-6

Bad Company

Established Member
The '07-'12 brakes are interchangable with the '13-'14 brakes, so I can't imagine if Currie is employing the OEM hardware to the housing that you couldn't swap components. To upgrade my 2012 to 2013 rear brakes, I just needed the OEM backing plate and larger rotors. The 2012 calipers fit with no issues.
The calipers are the same from 2005 to 2014, but the caliper mounting brackets that bolt to the housing are different for the 13-14 MY. Why? Because the 13-14 GT500 rotor is 1" larger in diameter. This means the caliper needs to move out from the centerline of the axle by a 1/2". Yes I can change the brackets for the earlier model year cars and reuse my existing calipers. But I would also have to change to the smaller diameter rotor, while giving up some rear axle braking capabilities.

What I'm trying to do is remove the existing wheel bearing hub assembly from the axle housing. Weld a new wheel bearing housing for the larger Torino 9" bearing and retainer plate. This eliminates the need for C-clips to hold the axles in the housing. The problem is everybody that makes the 9" wheel bearing hub utilizes the Torino bolt pattern for the retainer plate. The 8.8 wheel bearing hub has a different bolt pattern. Currie is not only making the hub, but the are also making a new caliper mounting bracket to bolt to the old pattern. The problem is they aren't making one to bolt the caliper in the correct location for 13-14 GT500 larger diameter rotor. Everybody keeps telling me to convert back to the 12 GT500 rear brakes and I don't want to do that. My next thought will be to sit down with a machinist and make a caliper mount to fit the Torino ends or make axle ends to fit the 9" bearings and retainers while using the stock 8.8 bolt pattern to use my existing caliper mounts.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Van, I sure there is some power loss with the higher altitude. Any idea how much slower cars run up there vs. Beeville?
I'm not sure how it translates in speed but, FWIW, SAE correction factors on the dyno pulls I did with my car and my truck (two separate dynos on two different days) were 1.26 and 1.25, respectively.

Van@RevanRacing

I have made my arrangements. Checked the calendar and I have a football game on Thursday night with my wife and son. So I'm flying in Friday afternoon. Really looking forward to the event and meeting all of you guys! :beer:

SteveWK

Established Member
I think I might just drive out there to watch. I have 18k miles on the car and about 6 track days. The clutch is on borrowed time I fear, otherwise I would consider registering. Any specific hotel everyone is staying at?

Steve

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I'll be registering this evening! I'm thinking I'll skip Friday, it'll be tough to get time off in September.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Excellent! kpinco and I are only registered for Saturday and Sunday too.

Well I'll be seeing you guys there, I'm registered!

For the 1/2 Mile event I bought an open-faced Shoei helmet. Is it gonna be legal for this event or do I need to sell it for another one?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks Van. At this time I doubt my car will be finished for this event. I also think I should upgrade the rear axles, while also converting to the Torino 9" style wheel bearings. So at least if there is an axle failure, the axle and tires stay on the car. Would you know of anybody that makes a set of aftermarket caliper brackets to retain the larger stock 2013-14 brake rotors and calipers while doing the Torino 9" axle bearing and retainer plate conversion ?

Not paying attention to some of our rear end build threads, but will save you some funds for the engine :)
I have the Moser 9" end kit with ABS rings on their axles and brake brackets, it is advertised for the earlier brakes, but my stock brakes bolted right up.
While you're upgrading make sure to get the ARP wheel studs, trust me they might not even be enough.
-J

gt347mustang

Established Member
I'll be there spectating. I would run my car, but it was on the limiter in 5th gear at the recent half mile event in Colorado Springs. I can't shift to 6th for fear of blowing the trans.

Anybody need an extra pit crew member?

Bad Company

Established Member
Not paying attention to some of our rear end build threads, but will save you some funds for the engine :)
I have the Moser 9" end kit with ABS rings on their axles and brake brackets, it is advertised for the earlier brakes, but my stock brakes bolted right up.
While you're upgrading make sure to get the ARP wheel studs, trust me they might not even be enough.
-J
Thanks biminiLX

I talked with the guys at Moser and yes they have a 9" axle wheel bearing kit that retains the stock 8.8" bolt pattern for the stock caliper mounting brackets. This allows you to retain the larger stock 13/14 brakes. You do have to use Moser axles and wheel bearing retainer plates. When I do it, I plan on upgrading everything. The guys at Moser stated with my power levels that I'd more than likely break the differential unless I installed a spool, which isn't going to happen. I'll upgrade to 33 spline axles with a Wavetrac and hopefully since I'm not going to run slicks or drag radials I break traction before I break parts.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Correct, my car is what allows them to say it works with the '13-14 ;-)
When I ordered they could only say '07-12 but we thought it would work.
I run their full set-up with 33-spline Tru Trac
-J

Thanks biminiLX

I talked with the guys at Moser and yes they have a 9" axle wheel bearing kit that retains the stock 8.8" bolt pattern for the stock caliper mounting brackets. This allows you to retain the larger stock 13/14 brakes. You do have to use Moser axles and wheel bearing retainer plates. When I do it, I plan on upgrading everything. The guys at Moser stated with my power levels that I'd more than likely break the differential unless I installed a spool, which isn't going to happen. I'll upgrade to 33 spline axles with a Wavetrac and hopefully since I'm not going to run slicks or drag radials I break traction before I break parts.

Bad Company

Established Member
Correct, my car is what allows them to say it works with the '13-14 ;-)
When I ordered they could only say '07-12 but we thought it would work.
I run their full set-up with 33-spline Tru Trac
-J
I was hoping to find a new axle housing to start with, but from what everybody is telling me Ford has had them on a National Back Order for a while now. It may be a while before I start this project, but I believe it is worth it for the safety factor alone. Since I'm more interested in street and mile events I'm going to try a 33 spline Wavetrac. But I want Moser to start with a new 13/14 GT500 axle housing.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a stock 8.8 that I may part with but to be honest, any good upgrade will weld the axle tubes when installing 9" ends and a regular GT s197 8.8 is fine for that IMO.
Good luck.
-J

NMAv

Established Member
Going to setup camp around the 3/4 mile marker as it is a good place to see the cars pass as well as the finish. Hope to see lots of new faces and a few familiar ones there.

Users who are viewing this thread