Retirement and social security

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone on here retired early and wait to draw social security or are thinking about it? I really do not want to work until I am 67 or 70. I have a wife 22 years younger than me and a 14 month old son that I want to enjoy time with, so I am thinking of retiring at 62, drawing retirement, and working part time for a while. That is just 7 years off for me.
I’m with you. I’ll take the money and run the instant I’m eligible.

cobracide

Established Member
Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Not sure how SS works regarding starting early or whatever and it affecting the amount.

I know all the retirement professionals say to retire and take a pension as soon as possible.

Working longer to increase the amount slightly will never make up for the years you could’ve been taking it.

Might be an exception if you get a totally different bracket or pension deal due to promotion of some sort.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
7105D313-D1CD-463D-99D9-E54F7D33B212.png

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Reminds me of going TAD to a Carrier in Norfolk. I'm from Minehunters and Minesweepers, they Small Boys. Would take 15m to get from one end to the other and then going down into areas was like that picture above. Nuts.

JimCSHO

Established Member
Does it reduce the monthly amount, or just how long you can draw? IE do I have to live to 103 years old to see any difference?
When you take it early (like at 62) it reduces the monthly amount. It never reduces how long you can take it because you take it for as long as you live regardless.

Going back to work and taking the hit (lost $1 for every $2 of earning) meant that I was still contributing and building my "credits" again so at "full retirement age" of 66 the penalty for working was not in effect and I got my SS with no reduction (i.e. I get social security and my wage both). Then because I have decided that I enjoy what I do and have continued working, each year the SSA recalculates my benefit and I get an increase in my monthly payment beyond the cost of living adjustment because of additional earning calculations.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i'm sure i'll be taking it asap (62). i'd rather have the money to spend and enjoy, even if it's a lesser amount. with my luck i would wait until 67 or whatever just to try to get a bigger payment then die the next year

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
My aunt and uncle regret taking it at 62. Bunch of reasons i guess. All i know.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
When you take it early (like at 62) it reduces the monthly amount. It never reduces how long you can take it because you take it for as long as you live regardless.

Going back to work and taking the hit (lost $1 for every $2 of earning) meant that I was still contributing and building my "credits" again so at "full retirement age" of 66 the penalty for working was not in effect and I got my SS with no reduction (i.e. I get social security and my wage both). Then because I have decided that I enjoy what I do and have continued working, each year the SSA recalculates my benefit and I get an increase in my monthly payment beyond the cost of living adjustment because of additional earning calculations.
Can you hold off on the SS until 67, but still retire? Just wait to draw SS?

MG0h3

Established Member
In 20 yrs when I’m eligible, the start age will probably be 95.

“Haven’t touched SS”.

Paid 8500 SS tax last year

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I’m
Can you hold off on the SS until 67, but still retire? Just wait to draw SS?
you file for SS to start it. Once you create an account on the SS site it tells you year by year what your $ amount is at a given age from early to late retirement

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Lets talk about how your family gets all the money left over after you die.....oh wait. Well let's talk about how SS isn't a slush fund.....oh wait. Ok fine....we can talk about how on the average by the time you die you will have recieved everything you put in.....damn. Well atleast those who didn't put into it can't get anything from it....SHIT!

JimCSHO

Established Member
i'm sure i'll be taking it asap (62). i'd rather have the money to spend and enjoy, even if it's a lesser amount. with my luck i would wait until 67 or whatever just to try to get a bigger payment then die the next year
The only way to crunch the numbers and decide whether to take SS early or wait to "full retirement age" or later is to answer the question I raised earlier.

When do you intend to die?

In other words, you can't know when the "best" age is to start collecting so decide what works for you with what you KNOW today

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread