Retirement and social security

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Anyone on here retired early and wait to draw social security or are thinking about it? I really do not want to work until I am 67 or 70. I have a wife 22 years younger than me and a 14 month old son that I want to enjoy time with, so I am thinking of retiring at 62, drawing retirement, and working part time for a while. That is just 7 years off for me.

Adower

Established Member
Anyone on here retired early and wait to draw social security or are thinking about it? I really do not want to work until I am 67 or 70. I have a wife 22 years younger than me and a 14 month old son that I want to enjoy time with, so I am thinking of retiring at 62, drawing retirement, and working part time for a while. That is just 7 years off for me.
How is your health? What about the overall health of your family lineage? I think that plays a big part in taking SS. My wife's family, dang near every one of them has lived to 95+. You'll have to run the numbers to determine.

sleek98

Established Member
Also watch working part time while drawing SS before your full retirement age. If your earning too much they will penalize you 1 dollar for every 2 dollars you make over the limit, currently around 21,00.

Meaning if you earn 35,000 while drawing ss at age 62 then you will lose 7,000 of your benefits.

JimCSHO

Established Member
I took my retirement and SS at 62, not that big a bite. But, I got bored and went back to work. Like sleek said, you can only earn so much before they start taking some away. I earned "too much" so didn't get any SS payments for a couple of years until I hit "full retirement age" and then I get SS and pension and my salary. And my SS keeps going up because I am still working so it's like I never took the early hit.

The problem with waiting is you have to answer one question: When do you plan to die? That's the only way to know whether it is better to take the reduced amount or not.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I took my retirement and SS at 62, not that big a bite. But, I got bored and went back to work. Like sleek said, you can only earn so much before they start taking some away. I earned "too much" so didn't get any SS payments for a couple of years until I hit "full retirement age" and then I get SS and pension and my salary. And my SS keeps going up because I am still working so it's like I never took the early hit.

The problem with waiting is you have to answer one question: When do you plan to die? That's the only way to know whether it is better to take the reduced amount or not.
Does it reduce the monthly amount, or just how long you can draw? IE do I have to live to 103 years old to see any difference?

TORQUERULES

Established Member

Attachments

• DSC_5275.jpg
    DSC_5275.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 137

Users who are viewing this thread