Respectable modification?

black pearl 5976

I’ve a 1997 svt cobra with only about 70,000 miles, her only modifications are 4.10 rear end, lowered suspension a tune and wheels. Completely stock aside from that I would like to know all that is to know about this beautiful piece of art especially for maintaining peak performance currently the engine is bone stock n/a down to the factory exhaust manifolds and all, I was blessed to find this vehicle and as my choice daily driver I would like to know about reducing her carbon build up and prolonging the life of this beautiful beast and I must admit I have been shunned for directly asking about emissions and how to make it run right when I started the engine swap into my 1997 mustang gt of replacing its 4.6 sohc. My goal is to improve gas mileage I already decided pro charger if I'm intended for forced induction but my biggest goal over gaining power is improving gas mileage and efficiency.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Someone must be an english major.

There isn't some magic trick to gaining a bunch of MPG. It's all about the maintenance. Such as good spark plugs, clean the air filter, make sure the MAF isn't gunked up. Headers and exhaust might help and a decent tune might get you a couple MPG, but I wouldn't expect to suddenly go from something like 18mpg to 25mpg. These cars just aren't made for it.

black pearl 5976

There isn't some magic trick to gaining a bunch of MPG. It's all about the maintenance. Such as good spark plugs, clean the air filter, make sure the MAF isn't gunked up. Headers and exhaust might help and a decent tune might get you a couple MPG, but I wouldn't expect to suddenly go from something like 18mpg to 25mpg. These cars just aren't made for it.
Complete emissions delete really skyrocketed my sohc mpg but everything you speak is very true and much appreciated

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Want better gas mileage? Buy a fuel efficient car or throw in different gears.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

I_like_turtlez

Established Member

I mean.. no

You can lean out the fuel trims and get 30mpg+ for sure, bone stock they get 25mpg highway all day if you keep it under 70mph

I've seen a 400hp corvette get 41mpg with the 6 speed

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
"Knowledge that's been sadly covered up"?? What are you trying to say/imply?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
these dont have carbon buildup issues like something that only had a direct injection system. The IMRCs can get gummed up but thats about it.

4.10s and boost are not going to help with fuel efficiency - your right foot is the biggest determining factor on that one.

as for the rest, I dont think anyone really knows what you're referring to.

Stalkerfiveo

Established Member
If you wanted better fuel economy, 4:10s weren’t the best option.

That said, if it’s a DD, do the MMR head cooling mod ASAP. My 97 Cobra is at Kurgan right now due to an overheated and failed driver side cam that caused even more damage when it completely let go.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Funny thing, when I went from 3.27's to 3.73's in my 98 GT the MPG went up. The consensus at the time was the shorter gears made it easier for the engine to keep the car moving. When I put 3.90's in my 01 Cobra the MPG didn't take a hit. At least on the freeway. Stop light to stop light was a lot more fun.

JMO, but I don't think gears are the MPG killer most think they are. Under normal circumstances at least. I'm sure going to 5.13's on a 26" tall tire and blasting down the freeway at 90mph might have a small affect on things.

freebird50

Established Member
I’ve a 1997 svt cobra with only about 70,000 miles, her only modifications are 4.10 rear end, lowered suspension a tune and wheels. Completely stock aside from that I would like to know all that is to know about this beautiful piece of art especially for maintaining peak performance currently the engine is bone stock n/a down to the factory exhaust manifolds and all, I was blessed to find this vehicle and as my choice daily driver I would like to know about reducing her carbon build up and prolonging the life of this beautiful beast and I must admit I have been shunned for directly asking about emissions and how to make it run right when I started the engine swap into my 1997 mustang gt of replacing its 4.6 sohc. My goal is to improve gas mileage I already decided pro charger if I'm intended for forced induction but my biggest goal over gaining power is improving gas mileage and efficiency.
Who gets a cobra and cares about gas mileage?

Users who are viewing this thread