Replacement Parts for these Cars are too Expensive.

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
Just wanted to see if you guys had the same opinion.

Got a third brake light from LMR to replace my cracked one.. Jesus Christ that was pricey.

Continuing the general clean up on my car, and in the market for various stock parts. They're all too expensive. Don't even try to buy HE brackets or a spoiler.

I think the problem is every highschool kid with a V6 wants a Fobra --- lame. :cryying: New rule, if you buy an 03 or 04 Cobra rear bumper, and you don't have an 03 or 04 Cobra, your name goes on the list of people who don't get a ticket on the space ship when the asteroid is heading towards earth.

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Yep, but everyone else will say it's just normal production car. The youngest ones are about 11 plus and the oldest pushing 13 years old. It's going to be like finding a tail light for a 68 GTO eventually.

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
Time truly has flown, got this car brand new.

I now know how the 2001 Cobra guys must feel when a tail light breaks. I will officially never poach a set of 01 tails, even though they are super sweet.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I concur, got mine new as well. Mine will be have been with me 13 years July 1st of this year. Hard to believe.

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
When I was in the market for my first Cobra a good buddy of mine said this "those cars are cool, but you'll pay Cobra price for everything." He wasn't joking one bit...everything you buy for these cars brings a premium over a part for a like year non-cobra mustang. Welcome to our world.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Yeah the parts available are definitely pricey. Just wait until you break a part and find out its discontinued. I recently broke a heater hose that connects at the firewall and could not find one anywhere. Luckily, I found a member on here that had basically a brand new one he took off his car.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
It takes some dedication to fully swap a GT front end over to a cobra front end! LOL At least you guys have some of it to start with, I did it last year and easily between the hood, bumper, chin spoiler, fog lights and bezels I had well over a grand. I've never looked at it as trying to be like a cobra, it's just a better looking/fitting piece than the stock one. Plus the stock GT bumper is just not a big enough opening for a heat exchanger IMO and a stock GT hood doesn't fit with the Tork Tech kit :mj: I've never understood why people with GT's put the rear cobra bumpers on their car though, unless you take the time to get it completely shaved down or buy one like that they just look so tacky.

But it is rather crazy the price they charge for some of the 03/04 cobra factory parts. Even the cowl panel in front of the windshield for all 99-04 cars is ridiculous to get an oem one!

Last edited:

dom418

Established Member
Unfortunately this is the issue when cars start to age as ours have. Little things start to break and it becomes expensive to fix.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
When I was in the market for my first Cobra a good buddy of mine said this "those cars are cool, but you'll pay Cobra price for everything." He wasn't joking one bit...everything you buy for these cars brings a premium over a part for a like year non-cobra mustang. Welcome to our world.

....cheaper than buying Shelby parts; why I have decided to stay behind the wheel of a Cobra

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Part of the problem is there wasn't very many Terminators made (compared to GT's and V6's). Cost per part goes up when not many are made to meet a limited demand, so in that sense, guys buying Terminator parts for their GT's actually helps.

That said, there is some price gouging happening any time the word Cobra is associated with a part.

TRBO VNM

The 3rd light and chin spoiler have been expensive for a while. Pretty soon stock parts won't be found and if someone makes aftermarket it will be expensive. I think there is a place making billet rear spindles and they are pretty pricey. just part of owning an older car. I think ford is only required to produce parts for 7 years after the last date of production.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
And why are the alternator brackets so damn expensive? I see them on ebay all the time for 100-150 dollars.

cj428mach

Established Member
Its kind of a double edged sword. I like that so many parts on a Cobra are cobra 1 off specific parts but because of that it makes them expensive.

Coming from the 4th gen Fbody world where the only difference between a z28 and an SS was a spoiler, hood, cat back and wheels, I appreciate the uniqueness of a Cobra. I remember looking under the hood on my friend 94 Cobra and seeing all these unique parts some of them like the ABS block even saying Cobra right on it I was blown away by how much was different than the gt model. I kinda like it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Unfortunately this is the issue when cars start to age as ours have. Little things start to break and it becomes expensive to fix.

That is so true. I guess the positive side of this is that parts are at least available for those who own Terminators.

masterjr33

Established Member
just bought a set of timpkin fron hubs for 35$ each.
Just got a new antenna for 19.99$.

Its just the cobra specific parts.
nothing you cant take the opportunity to upgrade from.

Users who are viewing this thread