Removing the Stock Lower Pulley

95PGTTech

Established Member
Depending on what else you are doing, you can remove the radiator and you'll have enough room for an impact gun. I was a SVT certified tech so they supplied an allen key big enough for that for my 1/2" gun and one for the Lightning, as well as some other "specialty" tools specific to the SVT vehicles. It looks to be your average 14mm allen socket.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I used the jack handle, bfh method. Car in gear, put the end of the handle on one of the arms and pop it downward (make sure you are going in the right direction) and off it comes.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
After taking on many projects because of the wonderful write ups found on this site by fellow owners that love their cars, here’s my contribution.

This is a dedicated to all those that have found themselves faced with the seemly impossible task of “Removing the stock Lower Pulley.” I'm a visual learner so I put up plenty of pictures of almost everything I did.

***The FULL Metco instructions are at the end***

What’s needed:

1 - Hex tool - (Comes with Metco Lower Pulley Kit)
1 - 19mm Socket
1 - 18 inch / 1/2 inch breaker bar
1 - Jack
2 - Jack stands
IMG_0714.gif

PREFACE
First, before I get into it, I want to give some background information on what the Lower Pulley actually looks like. This will prove helpful for those of us who never saw a stock lower off the car.

The stock lower isn’t just a ring. It is a full cage with a ring affixed to it. This ENTIRE thing is one piece and comes off as one piece.
IMG_0650.gif

IMG_0649.gif

IMG_0658.gif

IMG_0653.gif

On the back of the pulley is a nice size screw/threaded hub that actually screws into the crank balancer.
IMG_0654.gif

IMG_0657.gif

IMG_0656.gif

IMG_0655.gif

In the center of the front of the lower pulley/cage is a hex hole.
IMG_0659.gif

A special tool came with my Metco Lower Pulley kit. The tool, a double sided hex tool, has a big side and a small side. The smaller side fits right inside the front of the lower pulley assembly. ^^^^^^^ Pic right above
IMG_0660.gif

IMG_0661.gif

Ok, enough talk, let’s gett ‘er done.

1. Put the car in 6th gear and put up the E-Brake. Put the front of the car on jack stands. Do not extent the stands. Leave them on their lowest setting. As you can see, my wheels are still on the ground.
IMG_0664.gif

2. Under the car, it should look like this...
IMG_0666.gif

I’ve already followed the directions that came with my Metco kit and removed all the necessary bolts to free the cage. That never seems to be the problem, that’s why this write up is focused on getting the stock lower off.

3. Put the supplied tool into the front of the lower pulley assembly
IMG_0672.gif

IMG_0675.gif

4. Put the 19mm socket on the breaker bar. Now put the socket over the back of the tool.
IMG_0680.gif

The breaker bar should be around the 6:30 position from the front of the car. You may need to adjust the socket on the tool so the you can position the breaker bar in the correct position.
IMG_0682.gif

The lower pulley is threaded backwards so Righty/Loosey, Lefty?Tighty. You are going to be turning the breaker bar clockwise. Reference the preface pictures of the hex hole and you'll see what it says on it!

HERE’S THE CURE FOR GETTING IT OFF!!!

5. Take the jack and position it so the end of the breaker bar is sitting in the cup of the jack. I jacked it up with my left hand while holding the breaker bar in position.
IMG_0684.gif

IMG_0688.gif

IMG_0691.gif

6. Put the jack bar into the jack and jack it up. PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE BREAKER BAR, MAKING SURE ITS STRAIGHT AS ITS BEING JACKED. The space between the top of the breaker bar and the bottom of the balance is the same. Thats how you can assure you are jacking it up straight.

I put this picture here so you can see what "INCORRECT" looks like.
IMG_06961.gif

This is the "CORRECT" way. As you can see the green lines are even from the top and bottom.
IMG_06971.gif

And here's the same image without the drawing so you can see it clearly...
IMG_0697.gif

7. Now jack the end of the breaker bar up. The jack is now acting as your super human strength to break the pulley loose. ***It should be noted that the ring will turn a little before the gears actually catch and prevent the pulley from rotating any further. Your jack should have enough lift to break it loose. If not, adjust the position of the breaker bar and try again.
IMG_0699.gif

IMG_0700.gif

IMG_0701.gif

IMG_0702.gif

IMG_0703.gif

You will hear a loud POP!!! Its normal. I didn’t read the Metco directions thoroughly to know that it was suppose to happen so it scared me. I thought I broke something. Again, it’s normal.

After you hear that Pop, lower the jack and move it to the side. You no longer need it.

8. Get under the car and begin to turn the pulley with your hand (continue turning clockwise). It should turn easily.

As you turn the lower pulley, you will start to see the silver threads of the screw/hub. Continue turning until it comes out.

IMG_0706.gif

IMG_0708.gif

IMG_0711.gif

If you’ve properly removed all the bolts holding the cage to the car, you should be able to pull the cage assembly off.
IMG_0713.gif

DONE.

Here are the remaining directions from Metco on how to install your new kit. They are pretty much straight forward.
Good luck.

***METCO DIRECTIONS***
img007.jpg

img008.jpg

img009.jpg

img006.jpg

img011.jpg

img010.jpg

nice write up BUT.... all the pictures are GONE can you reupload them or something ?

thanks

brian

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
ok so my metco tool broke off in the cage. i got it out. it was fully in there. is there any ideas that you guys suggest. i used the 4 ft breaker bar and then i used a pipe for leverage but that only created to much torque and it sheered off right at the spot where the allen bit reduces to the correct size for the cage.

so now do i call metco and get another tool or get one from the tool truck....

also the car was in 6th gear with the e-brake applied.

i was thinking of using my torch to heat the cage up. any other ideas guys? im sure this is not the first time this has happened.

and lastly yes i was going clockwise or "right" i know its reverse threads :D

Last edited:

Planter

Banned
ok so my metco tool broke off in the cage. i got it out. it was fully in there. is there any ideas that you guys suggest. i used the 4 ft breaker bar and then i used a pipe for leverage but that only created to much torque and it sheered off right at the spot where the allen bit reduces to the correct size for the cage.

so now do i call metco and get another tool or get one from the tool truck....

also the car was in 6th gear with the e-brake applied.

i was thinking of using my torch to heat the cage up. any other ideas guys? im sure this is not the first time this has happened.

and lastly yes i was going clockwise or "right" i know its reverse threads :D

you might give this a shot.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ower-crank-pulley-w-engine-trans-out-car.html

Jmccormick

TERMN8D
Established Member
Anyone know the size of that Hex bolt?

I don't have the metco kit and I am not switching, just need to remove the pulley to get the timing cover coated.

Thanks!

Jmccormick

TERMN8D
Established Member
Can this lower be removed from the cage?

I would like to get the cage powder coated to match the rest of my front drive.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
more kudos for this method. i tried this for the first time today with success on my 113k mile terminator. in the 10 yrs that i've owned it i have taken apart almost everything else on the car (i think i still have the dash lol) but not this, and based on the stories i've read i really was not looking forward to it. so i bought a 3/4 20" breaker and the metco tool. wouldn't budge by hand (even with extensions) top or bottom, but this jack method worked great.

oh, forgot to mention that i already had ford special service flywheel locking tool otc 303-673

thanks again for postin this how-to thread, redpoison!! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread