Removing the Stock Lower Pulley

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
After taking on many projects because of the wonderful write ups found on this site by fellow owners that love their cars, here’s my contribution.

This is a dedicated to all those that have found themselves faced with the seemly impossible task of “Removing the stock Lower Pulley.” I'm a visual learner so I put up plenty of pictures of almost everything I did.

***The FULL Metco instructions are at the end***

What’s needed:

1 - Hex tool - (Comes with Metco Lower Pulley Kit)
1 - 19mm Socket
1 - 18 inch / 1/2 inch breaker bar
1 - Jack
2 - Jack stands
IMG_0714.jpg

PREFACE
First, before I get into it, I want to give some background information on what the Lower Pulley actually looks like. This will prove helpful for those of us who never saw a stock lower off the car.

The stock lower isn’t just a ring. It is a full cage with a ring affixed to it. This ENTIRE thing is one piece and comes off as one piece.
IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

On the back of the pulley is a nice size screw/threaded hub that actually screws into the crank balancer.
IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

In the center of the front of the lower pulley/cage is a hex hole.
IMG_0659.jpg

A special tool came with my Metco Lower Pulley kit. The tool, a double sided hex tool, has a big side and a small side. The smaller side fits right inside the front of the lower pulley assembly. ^^^^^^^ Pic right above
IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

Ok, enough talk, let’s gett ‘er done.

1. Put the car in 6th gear and put up the E-Brake. Put the front of the car on jack stands. Do not extent the stands. Leave them on their lowest setting. As you can see, my wheels are still on the ground.
IMG_0664.jpg

2. Under the car, it should look like this...
IMG_0666.jpg

I’ve already followed the directions that came with my Metco kit and removed all the necessary bolts to free the cage. That never seems to be the problem, that’s why this write up is focused on getting the stock lower off.

3. Put the supplied tool into the front of the lower pulley assembly
IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

4. Put the 19mm socket on the breaker bar. Now put the socket over the back of the tool.
IMG_0680.jpg

The breaker bar should be around the 6:30 position from the front of the car. You may need to adjust the socket on the tool so the you can position the breaker bar in the correct position.
IMG_0682.jpg

The lower pulley is threaded backwards so Righty/Loosey, Lefty?Tighty. You are going to be turning the breaker bar clockwise. Reference the preface pictures of the hex hole and you'll see what it says on it!

HERE’S THE CURE FOR GETTING IT OFF!!!

5. Take the jack and position it so the end of the breaker bar is sitting in the cup of the jack. I jacked it up with my left hand while holding the breaker bar in position.
IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

6. Put the jack bar into the jack and jack it up. PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE BREAKER BAR, MAKING SURE ITS STRAIGHT AS ITS BEING JACKED. The space between the top of the breaker bar and the bottom of the balance is the same. Thats how you can assure you are jacking it up straight.

I put this picture here so you can see what "INCORRECT" looks like.
IMG_06961.jpg

This is the "CORRECT" way. As you can see the green lines are even from the top and bottom.
IMG_06971.jpg

And here's the same image without the drawing so you can see it clearly...
IMG_0697.jpg

7. Now jack the end of the breaker bar up. The jack is now acting as your super human strength to break the pulley loose. ***It should be noted that the ring will turn a little before the gears actually catch and prevent the pulley from rotating any further. Your jack should have enough lift to break it loose. If not, adjust the position of the breaker bar and try again.
IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

You will hear a loud POP!!! Its normal. I didn’t read the Metco directions thoroughly to know that it was suppose to happen so it scared me. I thought I broke something. Again, it’s normal.

After you hear that Pop, lower the jack and move it to the side. You no longer need it.

8. Get under the car and begin to turn the pulley with your hand (continue turning clockwise). It should turn easily.

As you turn the lower pulley, you will start to see the silver threads of the screw/hub. Continue turning until it comes out.

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

If you’ve properly removed all the bolts holding the cage to the car, you should be able to pull the cage assembly off.
IMG_0713.jpg

DONE.

Here are the remaining directions from Metco on how to install your new kit. They are pretty much straight forward.
Good luck.

***METCO DIRECTIONS***
img007.jpg

img008.jpg

img009.jpg

img006.jpg

img011.jpg

img010.jpg

Last edited:

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
really good photography
i for the life of me could not stop the crank from turning, so i stuck a phillips screwdriver in one of those holes in the outer ring of the damper and wedged it against the cage to stop it from turning and pop like you said.
excellent instructs and photos

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Nice write-up. On a side note, how often does the inner belt need to be replaced?

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
really good photography
i for the life of me could not stop the crank from turning, so i stuck a phillips screwdriver in one of those holes in the outer ring of the damper and wedged it against the cage to stop it from turning and pop like you said.
excellent instructs and photos

Did you use the jack method?

Did you put the car in gear?

Nice write-up. On a side note, how often does the inner belt need to be replaced?

I'm not sure

Excellent!!
side note #2 does anyone make a "cage/brace" for an aftermarket pulley?

Not that I know of. I dont think so.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Great info...now I just gotta decide what lower I wanna run...Great contribution...you did well...

twhitey

Established Member
Thanks I plan on doing my blower swap and add a metco 4lb lower tmrw i was really wondering how i was going to break that nut free.

GrayGhost03

Established Member
good write up but ive dropped the trans to pull the motor so i cant put it gear. could i use an impact to get it off with a screwdriver wedged in the cage?

mu22stang

Established Member
Finally someone sheds a little light on the subject. Did it look worn at all?

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
Finally someone sheds a little light on the subject. Did it look worn at all?

it had normal wear. It had the typical cracks on the belt from obvious belt wrap wear but the cracks were not down past the ribs and into the actual meaty part of the belt. I finally changed the blower belt at 88k miles and it had been on there since about 10k miles. :beer:

mu22stang

Established Member
Good deal :beer: I'm planning on changing mine at around 60K unless someone chimes in telling otherwise. I'm at 34K right now but the engine will be stock for a while - I'm going to finish the chassis, suspension, and cooling before I touch the powerplant.

twhitey

Established Member
I used the jack and pry bar method with the car driven up on ramps. Car was in 6th gear with the parking brake on and someone pressing the brakes.
This worked great was the easiest part of the whole thing! Thanks for the write up

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
I used the jack and pry bar method with the car driven up on ramps. Car was in 6th gear with the parking brake on and someone pressing the brakes.
This worked great was the easiest part of the whole thing! Thanks for the write up

:beer: I would've used ramps too, but my car is lowered and I couldn't drive up them. Glad it worked out!

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
if ya change the inner belt.. be sure to change the inner idler pulleys.. knock out multiple birds with one stone.. maybe even a water pump... like I did.

Users who are viewing this thread