Remove "Helper" Spring or Not?

Did you remove your "helper" spring?

• No. Never drove w/o the spring in place.

Votes: 38 40.4%
  • Yes. But I put it back on (didn't like the feel)

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Yes. Love it. Keeping it off.

Votes: 49 52.1%

• Total voters

jojobee

Established Member
Still thinking about it, mine stayed to the floor 4 times already..
What about a different spring rate maybe it would be the best of both worlds..

SirJAG

Established Member
It's 5 min. Just do it. But make yourself drive it a week. It will feel odd at first. But it's much stiffer and easier to find engagement point. My wife likes it much better now.

gamecock426

TwinTurbo5.0
Established Member
just took mine out and definitely a completely different feel. A lot heavier pedal but a lot more feeling to it. Something always felt off about the super soft stock setup and I think this was exactly it.

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
just took mine out and definitely a completely different feel. A lot heavier pedal but a lot more feeling to it. Something always felt off about the super soft stock setup and I think this was exactly it.

Hardcore thread revival... But like others have said, it's a band aid fix. If you're having high rpm lockout, you need a new clutch and clutch line.

Haven't had a single lock out or sticking with JPC SS line, MGW RS, Exedy Stage 2, Spec Al fly, Redline MTL

D1984

Whining
Established Member
I removed mine a few months ago and it feels way better without the spring, with more predictable engagement and more of a mechanical feel. The pedal effort went up maybe 10% but to me it's still easy, and there is maybe 1cm of play at the top if that. Guys who bitch about the clutch pedal effort are probably used to Hondas. Hell, I can't stand the clutch pedal on the newer cars, feels like a wet noodle to me.

D1984

Whining
Established Member
Hardcore thread revival... But like others have said, it's a band aid fix. If you're having high rpm lockout, you need a new clutch and clutch line.

Haven't had a single lock out or sticking with JPC SS line, MGW RS, Exedy Stage 2, Spec Al fly, Redline MTL

I just went with DOT4 fluid in the factory lines and don't get high RPM lockout. Well, every once in a while I'll get what I think is a hint of it, but not enough to have to pull the pedal back with my foot like before. I think the clutch is the biggest issue though. It still seems like I have to force it into gear at high RPM

Stang Lover

Established Member
I was reading about this yesterday and apparently some experienced the slave cylinder prematurely wear out and eventually fail. Something about the pedal not traveling back all the way up to it's original position and having a light constant pressure on it at all times. The steeda spring seemed to help most that had problems.

Canadian5.0

Established Member
Removed mine and thought it was a little too stiff. Went to reinstall and broke the plastic follower. So after a week of not having it I was used to it and when I jumped in my buddies car that still had the spring I thought the stock spring was garbage. Much better w/o IMO.

DaBigBone

Established Member
I keep seeing people talk about this... I'll probably pop mine off this weekend to see how I like it

Silbult14

Established Member
Interested in seeing what everyone thinks of removing the helper spring. I personally enjoy my car much more after removing that pesky spring.

The overall feel of the clutch is greatly improved. As for solving the sticking clutch pedal issue, that is to be determined. It does make the pedal stiffer, but not stiff enough to bother me what so ever.

Needless to say, I am keeping the spring off...
I removed the spring from our '13 and the top 1" or so of freeplay does feel kinda vague, sometimes I just pull it up with my toe like mentioned....doesn't always do it :shrug:

My petite wifey (4' 10") likes it just fine too & I'm glad since it's her DD.

Dan
Actually I split the difference and replaced the stock spring with the Steeda spring. It's a noticeable improvement over the stock spring, but not a night and day difference either. Unfortunately the plastic pin on the top part of the factory spring holder got broken in the process of removing the stock spring. I managed to fix it, but if anyone that has removed their spring and is sure they don't ever want to put it back contact me and I'll buy you old plastic parts from you.

Users who are viewing this thread