Remove "Helper" Spring or Not?

Did you remove your "helper" spring?

• No. Never drove w/o the spring in place.

Votes: 38 40.4%
  • Yes. But I put it back on (didn't like the feel)

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Yes. Love it. Keeping it off.

Votes: 49 52.1%

• Total voters

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Be carefull when you take the spring out guys , i dont know if this happened but i've heard stories where guys have broken the spring out and lost their cruise control in the process. I have not taken mine out, and don't intend to. I'm having my Paxton installed today along with a new spec 2+ clutch and a JPC clutchline kit and billet urethane motor mounts. I like they stock feel, never had an issue with the feel!

lsxjunkie

Established Member
Be carefull when you take the spring out guys , i dont know if this happened but i've heard stories where guys have broken the spring out and lost their cruise control in the process. I have not taken mine out, and don't intend to. I'm having my Paxton installed today along with a new spec 2+ clutch and a JPC clutchline kit and billet urethane motor mounts. I like they stock feel, never had an issue with the feel!

There's a "clutch released" trigger switch down there. It extends when you push the clutch in. If you break it while pulling your spring, the switch will always be extended, making the car think the clutch is always partially depressed, which automatically cancels the cruise control. This is covered in the directions for removing the spring.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member

no bueno. I'm not doing this. I've broken enough things.

NickSezz

Established Member
If removed correctly, the chances of breaking anything are minimal.

I am going to try and work on another "fix"

thebreather

Established Member
took it out yesterday..feels perfect now.used to feel like the gas pedal.now i can rest my left foot on there in traffic...i think they put it in for small women?

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
If you take out the clutch sensor and unclip the the hydraulic shaft from the side, its very simple and u def dont have to worry about breaking anything..lol Like stated above, no prying and it literally falls right out!

NickSezz

Established Member
I think im gonna try it tomorrow if it don't rain

images

Couldn't help myself..

Nuar

Established Member
Took mine out today, so far its alright. Ill give it a few days to get use to it.
Did a quick romp through the gears once and i still fealt the pedal get slightly lazy, but no where near what ut was before. Ill put the JHR clutch line ive got lying around in next.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I plan to swap out the clutch when the blower goes on. Good to know I don't need that spring then either.

I got a new Paxton and spec 2+ clutch and the Jpc clutch line upgrade and urethane motor mounts. i have yet to feel a reason to remove the spring. I will also tell you this, i can feel the clutch much better with a flat padless shoe, like a sandal over say a sneaker! The newer clutch releases alot sooner then the stock clutch!

96svtdriver

Established Member
Removeing the spring is a band-aid fix. Dot 4 fluid, JPC clutch line and no problems at all. I have not had a high RPM clutch pedal sticking problem since.

-Thomas

I just went to the GT500 pedal setup. That spring was a real pain in the rear to deal with all the bind it creates. I haven't changed to DOT4 or the JPC line yet, but in the short term, removing that spring is a great thing to do. All Ford was trying to accomplish with that spring was making an easier shift for the lazy people out there.

Nuar

Established Member
Update, my high rpm issue is gone ornalmost gone after removing that pos spring.
I like the feel of the pedal, my pedal barely has any play at the top, the engagement point is very easy to feel now at the very top of the pedal's travel.
I did a few hard romps through 1,2,3,4 and the pedal was good and performed like it should.
I will still do the line since i already have it, but for the time being, this was a very quick easy fix to a VERY annoying problem.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Got sick of the stiff pedal, put the spring back in, drove through town enjoying the soft pedal, hammered on it twice, clutch stuck twice, spring coming back out

BTW: You need another choice in your poll... "Took it out, don't really love how heavy it is in Main St traffic, but still better than a sticking clutch" Or however you wanna word it ;-)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread