Remove "Helper" Spring or Not?

Did you remove your "helper" spring?

• No. Never drove w/o the spring in place.

Votes: 38 40.4%
  • Yes. But I put it back on (didn't like the feel)

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Yes. Love it. Keeping it off.

Votes: 49 52.1%

• Total voters

NickSezz

Established Member
Interested in seeing what everyone thinks of removing the helper spring. I personally enjoy my car much more after removing that pesky spring.

The overall feel of the clutch is greatly improved. As for solving the sticking clutch pedal issue, that is to be determined. It does make the pedal stiffer, but not stiff enough to bother me what so ever.

Needless to say, I am keeping the spring off...

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Removeing the spring is a band-aid fix. Dot 4 fluid, JPC clutch line and no problems at all. I have not had a high RPM clutch pedal sticking problem since.

-Thomas

NickSezz

Established Member
Removeing the spring is a band-aid fix. Dot 4 fluid, JPC clutch line and no problems at all. I have not had a high RPM clutch pedal sticking problem since.

-Thomas

True. But I am trying to use this thread to see if the members here prefer the "feel" w/o the spring or with the spring in place rather than it actually fixing any mechanical issues.

I am a pretty good manual driver, but with that spring in place it was difficult to drive smooth 100% of the time. I had my tuner make my throttle input insanely responsive making the issue more pronounced. Now, with that spring removed I feel like I am back in my 05 Mustang. Responsive and smooth.

I had no idea that spring was responsible for the "bouncy" clutch engagement.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
The spring is in place for a reason, helps the pedal have a snappy feel, Ive driven a car without the spring before and your right it feels like a s197 (feels like crap).

-Thomas

alex12gt

Established Member
Pulled the spring when I first got my car and liked it.....now I've got a jpc line,dot 4 and a mach 600 clutch still with no spring and its perfect

NickSezz

Established Member
Pulled the spring when I first got my car and liked it.....now I've got a jpc line,dot 4 and a mach 600 clutch still with no spring and its perfect

I plan to swap out the clutch when the blower goes on. Good to know I don't need that spring then either.

302vin

Established Member
I like my clutch pedal more after I removed it. Already did the line and fluid. It was more for a feel

ViciousJay

Established Member
The spring is in place for a reason, helps the pedal have a snappy feel, Ive driven a car without the spring before and your right it feels like a s197 (feels like crap).

-Thomas

:dw: not sure if serious? I couldn't feel the clutch engage in high or low spots, after ripping it off it felt like a new car.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
can someone take a pic of a finger pointing towards the spring? I don't think mine has it.

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
2013GT500ClutchAssistSpring2_zpsdc86265b.gif

ViciousJay

Established Member
Completely serious.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

start doing so squats then cuz it sounds like you left foot isn't getting enough of a workout, on top of that there is absolutely no snappiness in with in on, if anything it feels like im driving a 1987 Toyota Tercel

csb85

Established Member
It wasn't cooperating with me so I was being a little rough with it and it ended up breaking.

Users who are viewing this thread