refused warranty repair

RB88

Established Member
Ok.. I have an '04 Mystichrome which has a creak in the steering... so wanting the best service experience I choose a mid size Lincoln-Mercury dealer that two guy's I know work at(service). I drop the car off on Tues morn @ 8 A.M. the service writer tells me he will call later in the day to let me know what's goin on. I call @ 3 P.M. he tells me that they have not looked at it, it will be the next day before they can get to it. I am not thrilled, but I remain agreeable. I get a call today saying that they will not work on it due to It having an expensive paint job...(scared of the liability)I tell the guy thats rediculous, and that I will be right over to discuss the matter. The service manager comes out lookin for a fight by saying he can decide whether to fix , or not fix any car. He walks away without answering any questions....I call him a smarta@@ as he walks away. I then end up the the Gen Managers office, where I get an apoplogy. I take my car back home. Is this nuts, or what:shrug:

TRBO VNM

I have had something similar but not to the full extent as that. That is BS and by not working on it they are breaking the Ford warranty contract. being that it is a lincoln mercury dealer and not an actual ford dealer, they might be able to say that, but I am not certain.

TXRDRNR

Never follow.
Established Member
Sounds like an issue for the regional manager to me.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
If your paint was an issue, they obviously expect to mess up typical painted cars?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think your first mistake was going to a Mercury dealer. JMO. I would have stuck with a good SVT dealer. JMO.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by 03yllwguy
If your paint was an issue, they obviously expect to mess up typical painted cars?

My first thought too.
"So, does this place make a practice of screwing up paint jobs?"

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
"creak in the steering" probably means that rack bolts need to be retorqued

many have had that done although it has apparently come back in some cases

torque specification is 35 lb/ft if you decide to do this yourself

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
I will repeat...

They probably did you a favor, at least you know they are screw ups...

I wouldn't take my car anywhere that wasn't an SVT Dealer... I didn't think NONsvt dealers could work on SVT cars...

Jpjr

Established Member
Originally posted by 351MachOne
I will repeat...

I wouldn't take my car anywhere that wasn't an SVT Dealer... I didn't think NONsvt dealers could work on SVT cars...

-Some people use the exact opposite logic. If you've modded a Cobra and want somebody with no background to cover warranty repairs.. you would stay away from an SVT dealer.

RB88

Established Member
Originally posted by 351MachOne
I will repeat...

I know two guy's who are techs there, thats why I chose this place. It states in your owners manual that any FLM dealer can do the work. Perhaps they did do me a favor..however my point is they should not have the option to work on it,or not.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Jpjr
-Some people use the exact opposite logic. If you've modded a Cobra and want somebody with no background to cover warranty repairs.. you would stay away from an SVT dealer.
That would be true IF they know the Cobra and therefore what they're doing. My SVT dealer had specific service staff that were authorized to work on SVT vehicles. I remember once a "unauthorized" person worked on my car and the sales manager went ballistic. ;-)

03SilverBullet

Spray the house down!!
Established Member
Why didn't you take it to Town and Country Ford in Bessemer. I purchased my cobra there and modding the sh#t out of mine and had no issues with the warranty. I even had my cluctch replaced twice under warranty and I only have 6000 miles on the car
Changed to a spec 3 to fix the clucth problem

Stanged96

Established Member
Non SVT dealers can do repairs, but be prepared for the rep to come out to take a look at the vehicle.

Xjman1

Established Member
Funny thing is alot of these, mine included have/had crappy painting from the factory. Walk away from a descent paint job and refuse to repair a crappy factory job, kinda leaves us stuck in the middle??

jshen

Established Member
They sure Did!

Originally posted by Narcosynthesis
They probably did you a favor by not touching it.

If somebody gave me the same response...from a dealer other than the SVT dealer...I'd go elsewhere as I would think they don't know how to do the job...

NCStanger

Established Member
This sounds really strange to me. Why did they wait 2 days to come to this conclusion. I'd look my car over really well to see if they did touch it and blemish it someplace or anything you can see different. Sure hope they didn't drive it! What did your 2 buddies say about it? Why would it matter what kinda paint job you had when you weren't even bringing it to them with a paint issue? This is got to be the most oddball reason I've ever heard of. I'd surely never go back there for anything. Glad you call the MF a smarta$$. I can't stand pricks!

Users who are viewing this thread