Recommend me a battery please!

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
Hey gents!

So I recently got a new Everstart battery under warranty (don't ask me, it's what the previous owner put on to replace the stocker before it was the Bullsnake). But when datalogging, it seems that i'm getting nowhere near the 14v that people say I should, I get instead around 12.5 or so. I recently replaced my alt with a Start 'N Charge, so I think the battery is the culprit of the low voltage. The car starts and runs fine, however, I'm just worried about longevity.

Some major factors that came into play:

Car is an 01 Bullitt with 03/04 Swap. Walmart battery would probably be fine if I didn't have the swap or any major hardware following:
Killer Chiller
Triple Return-Style Pump System w/ Walbros
50w Retrofitted HID Setup

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Battery voltage is a dependent on the alternator when it running, not the battery.
also, extra load on the system is supplied by the alternator not the battery.
a wal-mart battery is fine. if you want a high end battery get an Odyssey.

ODYSSEY Batteries - Official Manufacturer's Site

check the ground to the alternator. measure the voltage between the alternator case and the battery -. it should be minimal (<0.5V) if to high it will not properly regulate, and you will get a low reading.

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
Battery voltage is a dependent on the alternator when it running, not the battery.

check the ground to the alternator. measure the voltage between the alternator case and the battery -. it should be minimal (<0.5V) if to high it will not properly regulate, and you will get a low reading.

Gotcha :beer:

Now, I will say that I was seeing those 12.5 readings when it was around 110 here, would that be part of the issue? With the new Alternator (Start 'n Charge 160amp) I replaced the wire between the alt and battery with 2-gauge Wire, so I would imagine that should supply more than enough power to the battery itself.

WOTjunkie

SvtP Resident Asshole
Established Member

I use Ford Motorcraft. never had a voltage issue.

OEM Motorcraft or Duralast Red Top!

You guys are all wrong, Energizer Lithium D cell batteries :-D

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Gotcha :beer:

Now, I will say that I was seeing those 12.5 readings when it was around 110 here, would that be part of the issue? With the new Alternator (Start 'n Charge 160amp) I replaced the wire between the alt and battery with 2-gauge Wire, so I would imagine that should supply more than enough power to the battery itself.

What RPM were the measurement taken at? if at idle then 12.5 is probably OK. measure at 2000 RPMs, it should be ~14V.

if you measure the voltage from the alt case to the alt output is it the same as the battery + to -?

If you felt it necessary to upgrade the + cable to 2ga, think about doing the -cable too.

that lithium battery is cool too... but $1000? that's an expensive diet.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

When I replace factory, I use Interstate Megatron batteries and love them. I also use a battery tender since this is not my daily driver

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
What RPM were the measurement taken at? if at idle then 12.5 is probably OK. measure at 2000 RPMs, it should be ~14V.

if you measure the voltage from the alt case to the alt output is it the same as the battery + to -?

If you felt it necessary to upgrade the + cable to 2ga, think about doing the -cable too.

that lithium battery is cool too... but $1000? that's an expensive diet.

When I get to play around with the car this friday I will check it out. My previous alt was outputting about 10-11 volts or less, but this new one seems not to drop below 12, but at the same time that was with the heat, and i'm not sure if the triple pump system is messing with those numbers at all. I would imagine there would be a large efficiency drop with that hot weather we had for a bit.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Dude those things are ridiculous expensive! I can see buying one of those if you have nothing left to buy for your car but dang! A thousand bucks for a battery? Those are definitely good weight savers though

Coupe guys and their glasses. I swear...:lol1:

He has the 680. It's $499 not $999.

sneakysnake03

SVT
Established Member
What does the voltage read at the battery? You may have a blown fuse or something along those lines.

Users who are viewing this thread