Rebuilding The Terminated Cobra1FAFP48Y43F309694

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
Well that reminded me iv got bigger issues to solve. The plan and timeline has changed. Still running by 5 years but I'd hope to have a roller by the time I am out of college. Tube front is because of the nature of the front end damage. I need to do some more body work on the drivers side due to my now former roommate dinging the drives side multiple times. THANKS DUDE! As far as mods. Goal is back to stock. Gonna work on finding a stock ecu and harness to start with. Cool race car stuff will come later on but for now I want to do this on the cheap that mean if it's bit necessary it can wait a bit. Had a bit of a realty check.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Reality checks are actually good because they usually result in good corrections to stated goals. Stay focused on your goals and tackle the obstacles as they come. Delays are inevitable. (y)

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
Ok I'm gonna admit I need some directional guidance. Iv been told 5 different things by 5 different people. Car is a gutted shell with a bent front end. Where do I start from. One person says fix the damage, one said to me work from the back to the front. One said from the bottom up. What in the world do I do. 3 year goal is drop in ready roller. My thoughts were along the lines of fix the front end then go ahead and start from the middle and work out,
So sounds padding and wiring, then interior.

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Ok I'm gonna admit I need some directional guidance. Iv been told 5 different things by 5 different people. Car is a gutted shell with a bent front end. Where do I start from. One person says fix the damage, one said to me work from the back to the front. One said from the bottom up. What in the world do I do. 3 year goal is drop in ready roller. My thoughts were along the lines of fix the front end then go ahead and start from the middle and work out,

guidance!?! jeezus. you've already gotten 19 pages of guidance from everyone in this thread, but you never wanted to listen.

get out from under it.

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
I'd assume I should brace the shock towers when I cut , I'm planning on cutting just in front of the shock towers. Should I be worried about flex or should it be strong enough. Without the front/core support and k member.

term1991

My guidance is to sell this shell and find a better example. You can still build a better one that is more complete, without damage and a clean title. I wouldn’t even bother fixing the car because of salvage title history, which is quite a process alone and if one thing isn’t right paperwork wise, the car is totally worthless.

MG0h3

Established Member
Dude, I’m sorry,but you’re gonna end up with a car that isn’t even worth the spare parts value unless you part it back out.

Some of us have made this mistake when we were young and inexperienced, including me.

Nobody in their right mind will ever buy this thing so you must be thinking you’ll keep it forever. Guess what. Never happens. Then you’ll be stuck with a hacked up POS.

While this may have a Cobra VIN, it won’t even bring a clean Terminator swapped GT price.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
You do you man, but there's no way in hell I would take this project at your age, experience level, and lack of funds. This car is not worth all of what it's going to put you through for reasons stated above

There's potential that even if you do end up building a straight car, with whatever you want to put into it driveline-wise, you might not be able to ever legally drive it on the street (because of registration, insurance, etc on a salvaged title)

04Mike55

Established Member
You do you man, but there's no way in hell I would take this project at your age, experience level, and lack of funds. This car is not worth all of what it's going to put you through for reasons stated above

There's potential that even if you do end up building a straight car, with whatever you want to put into it driveline-wise, you might not be able to ever legally drive it on the street (because of registration, insurance, etc on a salvaged title)
Good point. It would be a good idea for Terminated Cobra to check out the state laws, if he hasn't already.

mariusvt

Established Member

So much this. I'd even go one step further and make sure all the documentation you have on the car will be enough to get it titled once fully repaired. If they say anything is missing I'd be dumping it as fast as you can.

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
Good point. It would be a good idea for Terminated Cobra to check out the state laws, if he hasn't already.
I am 99% sure it can be converted to a rebuilt title. The 1% does worry me just a bit, but I have talked to the state in witch I plan to move to after college, they confirmed with the paperwork I have it would be possible to have a rebuilt title. It would have to pass state inspection. Il have to turn the car back to as close to stock as I can. Stock exaust and air bags would need to go in. It would be a bit of a headache but from what I know yes I can get this thing to be road legal.
Before state inspections I plan to have a trusted Ford Dealer or 2 take a look at it and make sure that everything is done correctly.

LS WUT

Established Member
I’m unsure what you’re into this shell for. I’m really happy on one side of a coin to see someone trying to save a cobra versus letting it go to the scrap yard. However I’ve got to admit like I’ve said before. This cars really far gone. As stated above, you’ll never even come close to getting anything for it in the odd case you’d have to sell it finished (god willing). If you had to sell it even for parts you’d probably end up losing your butt. If you were a bit more financially stable, and not trying to finish college, and do a bunch of other things. Hell even @josephcostello has been tinkering around with his for quite some years. He had a complete car to work with, and a plethora of knowledge and it’s still undergoing the knife for him. What I mean to say is you need to reevaluate a lot of things before taking on a project such as this one. I feel even a solid roller for you would be very time consuming, and still a bit of knowledge, and funds to get that up and going. Also not to mention this thread began April 26, 2022. It’s been nearly and entire year and nothing really been accomplished, no offense however you have to realize that 3 year build you had mentioned. Your 1/3 of the way gone and you only picked up a spoiler, and misc parts.

Last edited:

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
This is a car forum, we are all car guys; we 110% love gas v8s, loud exhausts, etc. We love SVTs, we all really appreciate terminators like no other group of people will ever fully be able to understand.

However, I think the vast majority of people on this forum would not be willing to sacrifice the things that would need to be sacrificed in order to make this car what you want it to be when they were at the stage in life that you are. By that I mean sacrificing: developing a career, meeting a significant other, starting a family, having a life. If you're gonna use this car as a means to get the job you want at a customisation/race shop that you want, in as short of a time table that you've got in mind, you're gonna sacrifice everything I mentioned above. Can everything that you dream of be done with this particular car? Sure. But it will be your life. Where you're at in life, you're going to sacrifice a lot to make it happen. Is there a chance you could still meet "the one?" Can still have a job/career? Can still have a family? Yes, nothing is impossible. But I'm gonna play the odds.

I see 2 options if i was in your shoes:
1-get rid of this and all the headaches attached and come back to another project later on down the road
2-put this shit specimen of a shell (that just so happens to have the right VIN) on the back burner for about 10years until you've got a better understanding of what needs to be done and the means to do it (aka more experience and the finances to back it). Amass parts over time and add a zero to your timetable (30yrs vs 3yrs)

Last edited:

jessie_sanders

Established Member
This is a car forum, we are all car guys; we 110% love gas v8s, loud exhausts, etc. We love SVTs, we all really appreciate terminators like no other group of people will ever fully be able to understand.

However, I think the vast majority of people on this forum would not be willing to sacrifice the things that would need to be sacrificed in order to make this car what you want it to be when they were at the stage in life that you are. By that I mean sacrificing: developing a career, meeting a significant other, starting a family, having a life. If you're gonna use this car as a means to get the job you want at a customisation/race shop that you want, in as short of a time table that you've got in mind, you're gonna sacrifice everything I mentioned above. Can everything that you dream of be done with this particular car? Sure. But it will be your life. Where you're at in life, you're going to sacrifice a lot to make it happen. Is there a chance you could still meet "the one?" Can still have a job/career? Can still have a family? Yes, nothing is impossible. But I'm gonna play the odds.

I see 2 options if i was in your shoes:
1-get rid of this and all the headaches attached and come back to another project later on down the road
2-put this shit specimen of a shell (that just so happens to have the right VIN) on the back burner for about 10years until you've got a better understanding of what needs to be done and the means to do it (aka more experience and the finances to back it). Amass parts over time and add a zero to your timetable (30yrs vs 3yrs)
Very well said.

You'll be ready to take this project on when you no longer need to ask for guidance or advice. And when you have ~$40K to burn.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

03' White Snake

Established Member
Like I said in the beginning of this project. Remove the Cobra specific parts from it. Sell or keep the parts to fund or put into something better.

Use the bare shell as a learning canvas. Cut, weld, body work, modify any way you want to learn and gain experience and knowledge, but do not have any intention of trying to resurrect this shell. It is not worth it.

Take this new found knowledge and apply it to a better starting platform.

Users who are viewing this thread