Rebuilding The Terminated Cobra1FAFP48Y43F309694

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
My experience is not high, however I am going through the high performance automotive program at the University of Northwestern Ohio. I will learn how to do things during classes and as part of classes you have to put things into practice. For that practice part of the classes I will use that to rebuild the car.
I an young and a little bit crazy, in a good way. I worked for Chip Ganassi Racing after everyone told me it would not be possible. I am one to look at long term goals. This is a long term goal.
I've got to ask the question. You're obviously very young. What is your experience/training with engine building, wiring, fuel systems, electronics, suspensions, interiors, etc? You ARE talking about building an entire car from a bare shell.

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
Not being a Dick, but why is what I don’t understand. Good luck.
Why go so far? Because it's a statement piece. If I drive it to a job interview and they ask what I can do. Il have an entire car I built from the ground up to use as a example. As well it's a tribute to my late uncle who had a 98 cobra.

For why on the wiring. My tuner recommend doing a custom harness as it although is expensive we know that it will work and be of good quality. We will also be able to collect more data on what the car is doing. From individual cylinder Temps and AFRS to being able to change and adjust for heat soak and other things that may happen.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
My experience is not high, however I am going through the high performance automotive program at the University of Northwestern Ohio. I will learn how to do things during classes and as part of classes you have to put things into practice. For that practice part of the classes I will use that to rebuild the car.
I an young and a little bit crazy, in a good way. I worked for Chip Ganassi Racing after everyone told me it would not be possible. I am one to look at long term goals. This is a long term goal.

You can't bring the car in to your school, and build it as a school project? (At least some parts of the build anyway)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's an interesting question, Paul. But he'll probably be working on the car long after he finishes school. It's going to be a long, time consuming project.

@Terminated_cobra_03, one thing you definitely have going for you is your determination.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
That's an interesting question, Paul. But he'll probably be working on the car long after he finishes school. It's going to be a long, time consuming project.

@Terminated_cobra_03, one thing you definitely have going for you is your determination.

Yes, but at least he could get some key stuff crossed off the list for CHEAP.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
@Terminated_cobra_03 , there are a couple guys on this forum that buy/rebuild wrecked Terminators. They’d likely be a source for parts.
I don’t remember their forum names, but if you scroll back through the market section under Terminator “want to buy” section you can find them & maybe hook up.
They obviously know these cars well & may have some leftover parts they’re not using. It’d be worth a look.
Anyone remember their forum names?

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
My tuner needed to borrow the trailer so the Cobra has landed. I want to get some sort of wheels that arnt trailer wheels on this car. It hurts to see the steel wheels.
Screenshot_20220428-205444_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220428-205516_Gallery.jpg

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
For all the money this tuner has convinced you that you need to spend wouldnof thought he’d have his own

And who cares, project cars get project wheels until it’s time to run
The ecu us because or the fact that a,piggyback ecu can damage the car, he has a RHD 94 Supra put a piggy back system in and it almost caught fire. We may go stock ecu, plans are far from final.
As far as the trailer, he does, He has a normal car trailer. He needed to tow a mini truck and the Cobra was on was a Texas Roll Back so it has a stupid low approach angle that was needed for the mini truck. He needed to move.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Since you created this thread, you have to be prepared to accept different opinions, and here is mine. You are on a fool’s errand with this car, at this point. You’re still in school and are not established in life. Wants overshadow needs. You should be saving every nickel and dime and focusing on a career, and home ownership. This car journey needs to wait for the proper time.
im sorry to say, but that car is ****ed. It’s going to take a lot of MONEY to get it in a condition where you can be proud to show it off. Focus on your future and put that car away.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The ecu us because or the fact that a,piggyback ecu can damage the car, he has a RHD 94 Supra put a piggy back system in and it almost caught fire. We may go stock ecu, plans are far from final.
As far as the trailer, he does, He has a normal car trailer. He needed to tow a mini truck and the Cobra was on was a Texas Roll Back so it has a stupid low approach angle that was needed for the mini truck. He needed to move.
I mean this as helpfully as possible as other guys have said

1) you’re going to have a fortune in a bad title car, good money after bad.

2) you want to use it as a rolling resume but at the same time:
“So you wired it all yourself?” “Well, no”
“So you tuned it yourself?” “Well, no”
All that extra, over the top-ness won’t be to your benefit

3) I’m skeptical of whoever is telling you an ls swap is too complicated when you’re gonna spend 8k to wire and tune a mod motor. Go read sloppy mechanics or something

4) the tuners misfortune doesn’t mean squat imho. Outside of the stock harness possibly being hacked to shit like the rest of the car, the OE harness is pretty rock solid or you just run the Holley stuff

5) individual EGTS and such are cool in some ideal world but there are plenty of mod motors making 4 digit power that don’t need them. IAT, coolant temps and AF can do plenty to keep things in check for heat soak.

6) having this car as a rolling resume isn’t likely to land you that much extra income compared to what investing that money into a retirement fund and/or house will be worth down the road. Get paid to work on other peoples shit and document it, get paid to build your book of work.

cobracide

Established Member
I'm just wondering what the stock ecu is capable of, I don't have one, it's a clean slate car.
An easy way to search on this (or any domain) is by typing

site:svtperformance.com <search terms>

in the url bar on chrome or firefox.

Your answer is the stock ecu for a 2003/4 Cobra supports over 1200 hp.

Slow it down and just get started on the body repair.

Props for saving a decimated terminator. Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread