Rebuilding The Terminated Cobra1FAFP48Y43F309694

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I will gladly accept any parts donations if anyone has some Cobra parts laying around. I need everything.
If someone has some headlights that need to be restored. (YOU ALL ARE NOT READY FOR MY SCHEME ON HEADLIGHTS IF IT WORKS IT WILL BLOW YOUR MIND 50/50 shot that it works)
even a shift boot that has some blemishes that they want to get rid of let me know.
2Q==(52).jpg

Last edited:

FJohnny

Established Member
When it comes to the headlights my plan involves just a bit of Italian craftsmanship. I won't say more I need to try and test fit then finish sourcing components.
Develop the fancy Italian headlights.

Sell 1000 sets to current Cobra owners. Take the proceeds and buy a pristine, low mile terminator.

Sit around wondering what to do with the thousands of manhours you just saved yourself.

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
Develop the fancy Italian headlights.

Sell 1000 sets to current Cobra owners. Take the proceeds and buy a pristine, low-mile terminator.

Sit around wondering what to do with the thousands of manhours you just saved yourself.
pristine and low mileage. Why? I would kill the value. I don't buy or build a car to sit . I want to drive the car. I don't like garage queens. If I had a Cobra R id find a way to drive it to school every day. Low miles. never heard of it.

Last edited:

FJohnny

Established Member
I completely agree. I would do the same. I didn't think anything I said hinted at keeping it low mileage. Just that it's a nice place to start from a reliability and appearance standpoint.

However you go about it I hope you end up with what you want. You are choosing the hardest route. Sometimes that works.

I wish you all the best and hope to see the end result posted here at some point. Enjoy!

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
Well buying a low mileage car. I want to do things cheaply and save the car. It's a blank slate. I don't know how this story ends but hopefully one day it ends in a running and driving Cobra.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Wrecks are rebuilt everyday. I say go for it. If done correctly, you’ll have a decent driver. Plus, you saved an actual Cobra. Some things don’t make total sense financially to some in the hotrod world. That never stopped me from having fun.
If you want to do it, DO it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Because its probably something that happens all of the time. I am looking for parts that I can put some TLC in and save from getting thrown out. Not looking for NOS parts.
It is likely that you will need to source some of your needed parts from NOS, while other parts will come from junk yards, track tag sales, for sale here on SVTP, etc. I wouldn't dismiss it as an option when needed. Some parts will be donated but you're going to pay for most. You're going to invest a lot of time tracking parts down, but you already know that. All that said, I'm pulling for you. This whole project will be fun, painful at times, challenging, rewarding, thought provoking, and it will be a learning experience. We'll support and encourage you as much as possible, from the sidelines mostly. And offer up advice when needed or asked for. (y)

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
So after getting the car to a safe location it was time to get the washing started. I went and gave the car a good once over. Dish soap was used to take care of heavy moss around the rear trunk rain rails. I will later sandblast the outside of the trunk opening to clear away the oxidation then apply some auto grade primer.
Pictures of before and after the clean up.
Screenshot_20220427-125518_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220427-125504_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220427-125426_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220427-125432_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220427-125441_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220427-125420_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220427-125441_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220427-125441_Gallery.jpg
    611.8 KB · Views: 86

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
Well after looking at cost of things 20k at the least 8k in custom wiring and aftermarket controllers 10k in the framework. 2k in other parts at least.
the 8k in wiring would be done with any car I get. We will be able to monitor every single aspect of the car. Every bit of data possible will be available for me and my tuner. I will be getting components over time. The IRS will be disassembled and I will sandblast and repaint the components, and replace the bushings. This will be a hand-built car. I will list who does the work. I plan to do everything I can to do it on my own. I am not intimidated because the money won't leave at once. Yes, I will spend a lot but I will buy it one part at a time. The Electronics and engine components will be purchased over time. I don't need it running tomorrow. However, When we do eventually have the engine fire up I will let you know. If anyone has a stock blower, rods, crankshaft or any other cobra-specific parts, that you want to rehome let me know.

Last edited:

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I could be wrong, but I don’t think you are going to get very far asking people here for free parts to rebuild a stripped out roller that you seemingly can't afford.

I do appreciate your enthusiasm and desire to undertake this project. However, I can't help but think that there are better uses of your money, especially when you reveal that you only make $12.00/hour.

You are obviously free to do what you like and I don't know you or your situation, other than what you have posted here.

If you take the time to do this on your own and not beg for free stuff, you'll have a better sense of accomplishment.

You will receive a lot of help here with respect to guidance, answering questions, troubleshooting, etc.

I truly wish you the best and hope you enjoy the process and learning along the way.

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
I could be wrong, but I don’t think you are going to get very far asking people here for free parts to rebuild a stripped out roller that you seemingly can't afford.

I do appreciate your enthusiasm and desire to undertake this project. However, I can't help but think that there are better uses of your money, especially when you reveal that you only make $12.00/hour.

You are obviously free to do what you like and I don't know you or your situation, other than what you have posted here.

If you take the time to do this on your own and not beg for free stuff, you'll have a better sense of accomplishment.

You will receive a lot of help here with respect to guidance, answering questions, troubleshooting, etc.

I truly wish you the best and hope you enjoy the process and learning along the way.
I have started to get some new Moog suspension components, From my employer thankfully I get some good prices on some of the mustangs parts. That wage is starting pay. I can make more and try to often. I may take up a second job this summer. When it comes to the parts I am just looking to see who has extra parts for when the time comes, side note, what is the best alternator? I know they are known to have issues. Who makes the alternator relocation kit for a Teksid or WAP block?

Last edited:

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
For a stock type build, I would just go with OE or a parts store alternator.

Pay attention to pulley sizes, especially if you use aftermarket crank and/or water pump pulleys. You don't want to over spin the alternator; which is likely the cause of most failures.

I don't know about the relocation kits.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the 8k in wiring would be done with any car I get. We will be able to monitor every single aspect of the car

How do you come up with this number? You can buy a Holley EFI kit with all the harnesses for $1500. You can add all kinds of additional sensors to these kits. I have a hard time seeing where you come up with this 8k number.

Also I may have missed it - is the title clean on this car or not? If not thats a LOT of money to put into a car with a bad title. If it's clean there's enough info out there it will be easy to see it had significant damage and take a big value hit.

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
How do you come up with this number? You can buy a Holley EFI kit with all the harnesses for $1500. You can add all kinds of additional sensors to these kits. I have a hard time seeing where you come up with this 8k number.

Also I may have missed it - is the title clean on this car or not? If not thats a LOT of money to put into a car with a bad title. If it's clean there's enough info out there it will be easy to see it had significant damage and take a big value hit.
It will be all one-off wiring. Almost F1-type bespoke. This also counts in tuning and dyno rental, wiring, and making everything work. Car is salvage certificate

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've got to ask the question. You're obviously very young. What is your experience/training with engine building, wiring, fuel systems, electronics, suspensions, interiors, etc? You ARE talking about building an entire car from a bare shell.

Users who are viewing this thread