Rear tire sizes

What size tires on the back of your cobra?

• 275 40 17

Votes: 139 27.8%
  • 315 35 17

Votes: 253 50.6%
  • Other

Votes: 108 21.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
So am I to understand that if you run 315's on the back you have to shave the IRS bolts and put spacers on? Or one or the other or neither...Just got my 04..and wheels and tires are a soon to be done change..soon as I wear out the current tires!

MTI LS1

Originally posted by Cobra330
So am I to understand that if you run 315's on the back you have to shave the IRS bolts and put spacers on? Or one or the other or neither...Just got my 04..and wheels and tires are a soon to be done change..soon as I wear out the current tires!

The Nitto 315 will fit on the stock rim w/o any problem. The GSD3 or BFG 315 will require spacers and in some cases shaving the irs bolt. I am runnin a 315GSD3 out back with MM 1/4 spacer and a shaved IRS bolt.

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
Originally posted by BigZach
The Nitto 315 will fit on the stock rim w/o any problem. The GSD3 or BFG 315 will require spacers and in some cases shaving the irs bolt. I am runnin a 315GSD3 out back with MM 1/4 spacer and a shaved IRS bolt.

I would be getting the GSD3. Also, did you buy longer studs with the 1/4 spacers or just stick with stock? How did you shave your IRS bolt? Can it be done while it's on the car with a file?

03TKTGTR

Established Member
BFG/KDs

See sig. No problems with IRS bolt at all. I did shave the bolt head but didn't need to use spacers, thank god.
No rubbing at all even on really nasty roads & we have a bunch of them in VA.

03TKTGTR

Established Member
355s On 03 Cobr Vert? HOW???

:??: Can anyone help me with this question.
I want to put 335s on my car but didn't think they would fit.
I'm running 315s now with just enough room so I get no rub but 335s?
Will I need to go with 18" rims?
Thanks for any help & pics would be a great help or a link.

dam2v

Slow Cobras INC
Established Member
03TKTGTR said:
:??: Can anyone help me with this question.
I want to put 335s on my car but didn't think they would fit.
I'm running 315s now with just enough room so I get no rub but 335s?
Will I need to go with 18" rims?
Thanks for any help & pics would be a great help or a link.
You'll need spacers.

Postal Pimp

torque is my heroin....
Established Member
let me get this straight ive got 18x9's in front with 265's and 18x10's in back with 285's, if was to get 315's i need a spacer ect. ect.? 285's in back, WAY to small!

OhOneSnake

Let it melt......
Established Member
From what I know, when wanting to improve cornering grip, its best not to go with the biggest that will fit on the wheel, but rather something near the middle of the range. For a 10.5 that would be 285/40.

Anyone experianced with both 315s and 285s care to comment on the handling differences?

Hye

Established Member
Fleck 5 said:
It amazes me how few Cobra owners have the original size tires on their Cobras. When I created this poll I never guessed it would have turned out this way.

im not a fan of tires sticking out past the fenderwell at all

i think this is a big reason why im hesitant to start messing with tire sizes and wheel sizes in the back.

case in point: yesterday i saw this redfire cobra parked on the street with stock wheels with the nitto 315's and they just stick out too much for my liking.

plus you have fitment issues, bolt issues, all that crap, sometimes its easier just to leave it alone, but who knows im full of crap if i swap tires/wheels in the back.. :)

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
you think I can just goto a shop with tires and rims and say "do w/e it takes to get them on safely"? and they'll come through

Hye

Established Member
SurfingPhD said:
you think I can just goto a shop with tires and rims and say "do w/e it takes to get them on safely"? and they'll come through

no, i would do your 'homework' as best as possible on this board and maybe another one or two, and then take it from there. boards like these are much much more knowledgable (for the most part) than going to some shop and asking them to throw rims/tires on your car.

search feature is your friend
good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread