Rear shock tower brace questions???

greengt88

Established Member
Thinking of purchasing a rear shock tower brace....will it work in a convertible or will I have issues once the top goes down?? Also what brands are good? I've been looking at Steeda, kenny brown and CHE...anyone using any of these? My thoughts are since its a vert any sort of chassis bracing can't hurt and it should benefit the IRS as well...not planning to ever use coilovers though. Thanks in advance for ur thoughts.

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
i have the CHE, awesome piece! i do run coil overs and it is a worthy mod for me, made a big difference. for you, with conventional rear spring setup, i dont see it helping much....

greengt88

Established Member
I know they are pretty highly recommended with coilovers.....my thinking was since its a vert and cause of the irs....I'm gonna get one regardless....but of the 3 I mentioned the CHE or kenny krown look the best. I do like the double bar design of the KB, and the fact that it uses a mounting bolt to tie into the floor of the trunk as well, but I like the adj. Of the che and it seems to attach to the shock tower alittle nicer.....hmm..decisions,decisions?

greengt88

Established Member
The spring perches are attached to the same sheetmetal stamping that the shocks are....I'm buying one, its only $125...added peace of mind I guess

20psirabbit

Established Member
I've been on the fence about buying one of these for awhile now as well. I have kw variant 3 coilovers on my car which puts the springs back in the stock rear location with height adjustable perches. At the same time my thinking was along the same lines as the OP, being that I have a vert and I can't see any and all bracing available hurting me any. Any before and after reviews or anything?

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
wouldn't that interfere with the top down resting location? I'd be concerned of the back window cracking if you hit a bump or something. Maybe I'm not thinking of where it is located properly - but I'm always concerned with putting hard objects in the top down area.

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I've been on the fence about buying one of these for awhile now as well. I have kw variant 3 coilovers on my car which puts the springs back in the stock rear location with height adjustable perches. At the same time my thinking was along the same lines as the OP, being that I have a vert and I can't see any and all bracing available hurting me any. Any before and after reviews or anything?

How do the KWs compare to the MM kit?

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member

How can a coilover put the spring in the stock location? :shrug:

Tractionless1

Established Member
The spring perches are attached to the same sheetmetal stamping that the shocks are....I'm buying one, its only $125...added peace of mind I guess

The shock tower is "floating" above the trunk floor but if you think that helps to reinforce the top spring mount than by all means.....................:dw:

20psirabbit

Established Member
How can a coilover put the spring in the stock location? :shrug:

It's exactly like I said, it has an adjustable perch. So basically there's a double adjustable rear shock, and then in the stock location there's the spring, sitting on top of a threaded height adjustable ring and perch.

20psirabbit

Established Member
Interesting. Did you consider a Koni setup?

You mean a MM setup using Koni DAs? In that case I did, but like I mentioned in the other thread, after spending all the money I did on MM's product, I expected more out of them with regards to what I need to get the suspension more dialed in to how I want it to ride. More than telling me to raise the car to 4x4 status. If I ran another setup they suggested and wasn't happy with it, I would be extremely pissed. I had a discussion with Racerat on here and liked what she had to say about them on her car. I've used KWs on past vehicles and always liked them, so I figured I'd give them a try.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
It's exactly like I said, it has an adjustable perch. So basically there's a double adjustable rear shock, and then in the stock location there's the spring, sitting on top of a threaded height adjustable ring and perch.

wouldn't that make it a non coil over, since the coil is not over the shock :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread