Random Shit Thread

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I guarantee you've never seen this, or imagined this before.

Helicopter hedge trimming:

Saw it 10 years ago in north carolina on .y way to a bass tourny and i saw the guye up here in natural gas country do the same on the pipe lines...i nearly shit the first time a saw it!

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Pretty cool.

Army WO: the ****? You want me to land on a moving ship?
Yellow shirt: cmon pussy, park that thing on the deck ya ****in rookie

Lol

Did ya see the size of that meal team six **** driving the fork lift? Holy shit the standards have gotten bad since my days

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Saw it 10 years ago in north carolina on .y way to a bass tourny and i saw the guye up here in natural gas country do the same on the pipe lines...i nearly shit the first time a saw it!

Ha! I thought I've seen it all, then things like this pop up on the good ole YouTube.

Last year I had the pleasure of watching a helicopter linesmen crew work right by my house. I took some good pics and video. When the one guy was done he came up to me and asked if I could send him some pictures and video to show his 6 year old son. He said he's never been able to show him any video or pictures of him working. So I said sure thing no problem.

I asked him what they were doing and he said they need to install these bird deterrent metal triangles because he says the birds sit on these power line towers and their droppings corrode the wires and insulators. You can see these triangle looking things in the last picture. He said it costs the company millions of dollars to repair the damage and install these things because the only way to do it is by helicopter. He says they do this all the time all over the country.

Here are some of the pictures I took. The helicopter flies one guy in with a ladder that has hooks on it, then they fly the second guy in, all on a 100 ft line, and they clip on to the line with only a carabiner (2). The pilot has to thread him in through the wires and you should see the concentration on the pilot's face when they're doing that. Pilot does it all visually and no door because he needs a perfectly clear view. The noise and rotor wash must be intolerable and cold! This was last February and that day it was 25F out. To see a guy dangling from 100 ft line and being flown across the sky like that really is incredible. That last picture is from the previous sequence of pictures. That picture gives the impression they are not that high, but they are wayyyy up there!

Screenshot_20240218-214934_Gallery.jpeg
Screenshot_20240218-224133_Gallery[1].jpg
Screenshot_20240218-223957_Gallery[1].jpg
Screenshot_20240218-215331_Gallery.jpeg
Screenshot_20240218-215307_Gallery.jpeg
Screenshot_20240218-215235_Gallery.jpeg
Screenshot_20240218-222710_Gallery[1].jpg
Screenshot_20240218-220809_Gallery.jpeg

Last edited:

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ha! I thought I've seen it all, then things like this pop up on the good ole YouTube.

Last year I had the pleasure of watching a helicopter linesmen crew work right by my house. I took some good pics and video. When the one guy was done he came up to me and asked if I could send him some pictures and video to show his 6 year old son. He said he's never been able to show him any video or pictures of him working. So I said sure thing no problem.

I asked him what they were doing and he said they need to install these bird deterrent metal triangles because he says the birds sit on these power line towers and their droppings corrode the wires and insulators. You can see these triangle looking things in the last picture. He said it costs the company millions of dollars to repair the damage and install these things because the only way to do it is by helicopter. He says they do this all the time all over the country.

Here are some of the pictures I took. The helicopter flies one guy in with a ladder that has hooks on it, then they fly the second guy in, all on a 100 ft line, and they clip on to the line with only a carabiner (2). The pilot has to thread him in through the wires and you should see the concentration on the pilot's face when they're doing that. Pilot does it all visually and no door because he needs a perfectly clear view. The noise and rotor wash must be intolerable and cold! This was last February and that day it was 25F out. To see a guy dangling from 100 ft line and being flown across the sky like that really is incredible. That last picture is from the previous sequence of pictures. That picture gives the impression they are not that high, but they are wayyyy up there!

View attachment 1829358View attachment 1829377View attachment 1829376View attachment 1829360View attachment 1829361View attachment 1829362View attachment 1829365View attachment 1829364

We have large transmission line right-of-way just behind our house. They rebuilt on of the main lines in 2020. They also used Hughes MD530's for most of the tower assembly. Weeks of these guys flying in an out. The efficiency and planning of it was amazing. Like clockwork. That helicopter was never still for more than a few minutes.

With my aviation background, watching them do this, was the closest I've been to looking at switching careers. lol. I would've loved to be part of any of that operation. I looked on ComEd's website to see how to apply to be an apprentice lineman.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
We have large transmission line right-of-way just behind our house. They rebuilt on of the main lines in 2020. They also used Hughes MD530's for most of the tower assembly. Weeks of these guys flying in an out. The efficiency and planning of it was amazing. Like clockwork. That helicopter was never still for more than a few minutes.

With my aviation background, watching them do this, was the closest I've been to looking at switching careers. lol. I would've loved to be part of any of that operation. I looked on ComEd's website to see how to apply to be an apprentice lineman.
Yeah, I was completely blown away. I'm an aviation buff, so this was better than any movie to watch and be that close.

Two things really stood out for me. The first one is the amount of visual acuity, and hand-eye coordination you need to thread a human being between power lines hanging from 100 ft safety rope, while half hanging out of your helicopter, on a freezing cold winter day. The other thing that was mind-boggling is to see a human being hanging underneath a chopper as he's being moved as far as a mile or two just dangling in the air at a thousand feet. How this is OSHA acceptable in our snowflake society is impressive to me!

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Reading a lot about Florida insurance rates driving huge bumps in condo and HOA assessments. So, will that slow growth in FL or just certain parts of Florida?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Reading a lot about Florida insurance rates driving huge bumps in condo and HOA assessments. So, will that slow growth in FL or just certain parts of Florida?
Insurance has got stupid here along with everything else. Doubtful, but that and interest rates are making it expensive. Housing has gone nuts money wise.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Insurance has got stupid here along with everything else. Doubtful, but that and interest rates are making it expensive. Housing has gone nuts money wise.

Did read there is some price correction going on in condo's due to overbuilding and the before mentioned price increases in the more hurricane susceptible areas. I suppose it would still seem cheap to anyone from the NE moving down.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
i dunno how much difference it makes if you're getting bent over a barrel on a house or a condo - insurance is ****ing you all the same

Some of the reading suggests the condo market in central FL is overbuilt, single family homes not so much.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
fair enough but even if that's the case it's not property insurance driving up assessments that's slowing it down

I think the condo assessments skyrocketing is a reflection of everything skyrocketing. Plus condo associations will often time have common buildings/property and insuring them is certainly going up.

Users who are viewing this thread