Random Picture Thread

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I grew up in West Haven, CT. Savin Rock was an area in West Haven along Long Island Sound. It was most known for its Savin Rock Amusement Park. Our house was about a mile away. It was always packed in the summer months with local residents, kids, and visitors bused in from New York. There were lots of fun rides (nothing compared to today's amusement park offerings), good fast food (especially hot dogs, seafood and different varieties of flavored popcorn.

4470667373_9e2697ac5b_b.jpg

These two photo were of Jimmie's (hotdogs) in Savin Rock. Back in the mid'60s we'd all usually end up here after a date to munch on a hot dog, fries and maybe scallops. We'd park there for a couple of hours and walk around the lot to chat with friends. Good times!
a10f16814ae59200a13d710d91be3b8d.jpg

Scan%206.jpg

iu

Carousel ride! Most of the pieces are strewn across America as they were sold vs. being destroyed. The Park closed in 1966.
iu

The Wild Mouse ride!
iu

The Chute!
iu

The Virginia Wheel!
iu

Peter Frank's Fun House. I still remember the "oldness" smell on the inside. This was our favorite place to visit. There was a number of rides inside like a rotating barrel, potato sack slide, bouncing platforms and more. Fun times!
iu

On the other side of this fence was a 1/4 mile stock car track. There were races every Saturday night during the summer season. I could hear them racing from my bedroom window which was maybe a mile away.
iu
Stuff like this doesn't exist anymore, and won't ever exist again. Sad

I blame MTV, cell phones, and the internet

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I grew up in West Haven, CT. Savin Rock was an area in West Haven along Long Island Sound. It was most known for its Savin Rock Amusement Park. Our house was about a mile away. It was always packed in the summer months with local residents, kids, and visitors bused in from New York. There were lots of fun rides (nothing compared to today's amusement park offerings), good fast food (especially hot dogs, seafood and different varieties of flavored popcorn.

4470667373_9e2697ac5b_b.jpg

These two photo were of Jimmie's (hotdogs) in Savin Rock. Back in the mid'60s we'd all usually end up here after a date to munch on a hot dog, fries and maybe scallops. We'd park there for a couple of hours and walk around the lot to chat with friends. Good times!
a10f16814ae59200a13d710d91be3b8d.jpg

Scan%206.jpg

iu

Carousel ride! Most of the pieces are strewn across America as they were sold vs. being destroyed. The Park closed in 1966.
iu

The Wild Mouse ride!
iu

The Chute!
iu

The Virginia Wheel!
iu

Peter Frank's Fun House. I still remember the "oldness" smell on the inside. This was our favorite place to visit. There was a number of rides inside like a rotating barrel, potato sack slide, bouncing platforms and more. Fun times!
iu

On the other side of this fence was a 1/4 mile stock car track. There were races every Saturday night during the summer season. I could hear them racing from my bedroom window which was maybe a mile away.
iu

FWIW, Adventureland on LI still exists. Plus another small one. But yeah no strips, all expensive rip offs. There is a Skyzone on myside and yours of the Sound. Everything is spread out though.

Not totally gone but the vibe is. Used to be a place near me had Lazer tag, games, bowling, ice skating, etc.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
View attachment 1782856

- how many trains pass through there a day?
- how fast does a "normal" train travel through that tunnel?
- you get a "Crazy Train" T-shirt if you make it to the other end?

10-20 trains a day.
25mph is track speed through the tunnel
Fresh air is our reward no t-shirt lol.

Users who are viewing this thread