Random Picture Thread

VegasMichael

Established Member
daily_picdump_3150_640_high_78.jpg
Gotta love the safety harnesses they are wearing. Damn.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Curiosity got the best of me.

I dug around, if someone can walk directly around the circumference of the earth, non-stop at 3.1 mph it will take 335 days.

Doing this with the sun would take a little over 100 years, assuming no breaks for anything.

It appears that the fastest legit (documented, accepted by the WRA) circumnavigation is held by Tom Denniss who went 26,232km (16,300 miles) in 622 days. Because you can't physically walk in a straight line or walk the actual entire thing, that appears to be the accepted "walking around the world" distance.

He had an average of 1.09 mph, which is apparently pretty good.

The circumference of the sun is 2.72m miles, it would take 285 years (nearly) to walk around the sun at that pace.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Curiosity got the best of me.

I dug around, if someone can walk directly around the circumference of the earth, non-stop at 3.1 mph it will take 335 days.

Doing this with the sun would take a little over 100 years, assuming no breaks for anything.

It appears that the fastest legit (documented, accepted by the WRA) circumnavigation is held by Tom Denniss who went 26,232km (16,300 miles) in 622 days. Because you can't physically walk in a straight line or walk the actual entire thing, that appears to be the accepted "walking around the world" distance.

He had an average of 1.09 mph, which is apparently pretty good.

The circumference of the sun is 2.72m miles, it would take 285 years (nearly) to walk around the sun at that pace.
Interest facts. Cool facts, actually. We are so tiny, compared to the sun. Many don't really understand HOW much bigger the sun (our furnace) is.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Here's something to think about:
The sun is about 93 million miles away from us on average. It's got to be huge and incredibly hot in order for us to feel such radiation at that distance. However, in universal terms, our sun is a pretty small, relatively dim star. Check out a star called Stephenson 2-18 for comparison's sake.

Side note: I'm hoping Betelgeuse went supernova 600+ years ago so that we can see it with the naked eye in our lifetimes.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Portable radios. LOL. I've had more than a few of those. We've come a long way. Those are pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread