Radiator Cap Hissing..

zukman31

Established Member
I was just curious if anyone has ever had this problem. I do not have any over heating problems but when I park my Cobra, I can lift the hood and put my ear to the radiator cap and can hear a slight hiss, Its leaking air. I just put a new tank and new cap on it. I actually took another cap off of a taurus and its the same cap, and it does the same thing. Is it normal for this to happen?? Now it does not leak and it doesnt run hot but the air escaping is driving me crazy. Can anyone tell me if this is normal ???

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
i couldnt tell you if its normal, because quite frankly i dont ever/have never put my ear to the radiator cap. its definitely not something that i have ever noticed...or have never heard any noises/hissing that would make me want to put my ear there, in the first place. quit putting your ear on the cap, and you wont hear it anymore! =]~

honestly though, it doesnt sound "normal". just because the cap fits well, and so does some other cap that you tried (from the taurus), doesnt mean the tank itself is not slightly warped from the factory (for whatever reason), thus causing the hissing/air to escape.

that would be my guess.

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
what issues were you having before?

before throwing more parts at it,,,just think if its a 15 lb cap..at 16lbs it might not be overflowing yet and steam is ....

ive had steam come out of mine at times..i think each time i had other issues causing car to run hot...but not overheat

do you have anyway of seeing how hot your car is running?

zukman31

Established Member
Before I had a stuck thermostat and replaced it and i payed he&& getting the air burped out of the system. It was so bad I went and bought a new recovery jug and cap from Ford. Put the thermostat and all parts on and finially got all the air out. The car never runs hot or pukes antifreeze out like when it has air in it. I drilled the hole in the T-stat and it was a Ford Racing that Paul at Pro Dyno put in when he did my blower swap. I can drive it all the way from my house to Pro Dyno (90 mile drive ) and never over heats and when I park it and get out I lift the hood and no leaks but i can barely smell antifreeze and its hissing from the cap. Its not low or no puddles under the car. The hissing sound just drives me crazy

hotcobra03

Established Member
Before I had a stuck thermostat and replaced it and i payed he&& getting the air burped out of the system. It was so bad I went and bought a new recovery jug and cap from Ford. Put the thermostat and all parts on and finially got all the air out. The car never runs hot or pukes antifreeze out like when it has air in it. I drilled the hole in the T-stat and it was a Ford Racing that Paul at Pro Dyno put in when he did my blower swap. I can drive it all the way from my house to Pro Dyno (90 mile drive ) and never over heats and when I park it and get out I lift the hood and no leaks but i can barely smell antifreeze and its hissing from the cap. Its not low or no puddles under the car. The hissing sound just drives me crazy

without a tool to be able to read pcm its a guessing game,,,

on my stock temp gauge..it always sits in 1 spot...if its overheating its in the red,,ive never seen any other changes in gauge for a sign for running hot...

being your were overheating before says you might have other issues..

it could be as dumb as the fan settings in tune

if this car was normall you would just open cap add water....google...why is the tstat in front of motor and not in engine?

Last edited:

zukman31

Established Member
Thanks everyone, I went to Ford and got a new Radiator cap today and I talked to a guy that I knew there. He said they usually do hiss...I put the new cap on and it does fit alot tighter than the older one. I worked in the yard today and I will take it out some tomorrow. Thanks everyone for all of your input...

Users who are viewing this thread