Question From A Noob (Terminator Inquiry)

I apologize for the longer post, I will try to keep it short! I’m new here & to mustangs. The dealership doesn’t know if it’s been tuned and I don’t know much about mods and whether or not it needs a tune with the listed modifications, which include:
• BBK Cold Air Intake
• Steeda 2.76 SC Pulley
• Steeda SC Idler Pulley with Bracket
• Borla Catback Exhaust System
• Dual-Chrome Borla Exhaust Tips
• (I also noticed the interior has the triple gauge cluster)
The termi has about 48k miles and I just want to know if this is something I should avoid or if it’s something I will be safe to enjoy as a daily driver? It’s about 4 hours from me so I wanted to be sure before putting my time towards it. I don’t want to be driving down the highway and my car explodes. I don’t track, just occasional “pulls” for funsies with my wife. If this is something I should avoid, any suggestions on other fun cars (preferably muscle) that don’t really break the 32k mark; I’m just getting into cars and looking to enjoy something small but fun for now.
I am about as new as they come so I appreciate any feedback/advice and I’m all ears, sorry for the noob question(s).

LS WUT

Established Member
What’s up bud, welcome to SVTPerformance. Generally speaking any pulley modifications require a tune in order for things to be correct with air/fuel, timing, etc. How well do you know the dealer? Perhaps maybe ask them to reach out to the person who traded it in, or sold it to them to answer some simple questions. As far as mods are these mods the dealer has listed, or are these mods you’ve discovered yourself ?

What’s up bud, welcome to SVTPerformance. Generally speaking any pulley modifications require a tune in order for things to be correct with air/fuel, timing, etc. How well do you know the dealer? Perhaps maybe ask them to reach out to the person who traded it in, or sold it to them to answer some simple questions. As far as mods are these mods the dealer has listed, or are these mods you’ve discovered yourself ?
Thank you so much! These are the mods the dealer has listed specifically in the description; unfortunately the guy “can’t get ahold” of whomever traded it in, he hasn’t been of much help (very vague and back & forth); also had a guy looking at it today and he wanted to blow me off which I understand having a potential buyer…nonetheless I can’t get much out of them via phone or text.

LS WUT

Established Member
That’s very unfortunate, and annoying the way the dealer is treating you in regards to your question. Depending on if you’re set on this car or not, if you did so happen to buy it. I’d personally recommend having it retuned anyways just to be on the safe side. Is the car posted somewhere on the internet? If I saw a link I could try and look at some photos of the engine bay, etc. Also if the gauges on the tripod gauge has an Air/fuel ratio, boost, and coolant temperature generally those are what most remote tuners use to help remote tune cars.

That’s very unfortunate, and annoying the way the dealer is treating you in regards to your question. Depending on if you’re set on this car or not, if you did so happen to buy it. I’d personally recommend having it retuned anyways just to be on the safe side. Is the car posted somewhere on the internet? If I saw a link I could try and look at some photos of the engine bay, etc. Also if the gauges on the tripod gauge has an Air/fuel ratio, boost, and coolant temperature generally those are what most remote tuners use to help remote tune cars.
Of course…Carrollton, Texas Hot Rides (Silver 04 Cobra)

LS WUT

Established Member
Found the car you’re referring to. It appears to be rather clean. Simple basic bolt on car. With the stuff that’s done to the car, I can’t imagine it would have all of those things without a tune on it. I’ve personally never dealt with them, however I know a member on here who has dealt with them, I think he mentioned them in another thread earlier @Klaus

I’d say it’s one of those things that I’d recommend going to see it in person, since you’re not mechanically inclined as you said earlier. It’s worth the money to have a Ford Dealer, or even a reputable shop in Texas take a look at it for you, and do a compression test, etc. a lot can be learned from a test drive as well.

Roush6018

Established Member
i dont think you really want the cobra as a daily driver (my daily is a 2011 f-150). i have a 03 cobra and i have driven with the stock upper pulley, 2.93 pulley and the 2.76 pulley. i did have a tune when i added the pulleys, that was expensive about $400 each dyno tune.

i think you would want the cobra to drive for weekends and special occasions, maybe road trips. its a valuable car because its so easy to put too many miles on the car quick if you drive it 7 days a week rain or shine. but if you keep it lower miles it gets less wear, therefore more value. a cobra is all about having lots of performance and extra comfort for the driver, not so much being a daily driver.

i would recommend a twin disc clutch for your 03-04 cobra if you choose to buy one, its about 1k for the clutch 350 for the flywheel and about 500-600 for the install. it makes the car so much easier to drive in traffic and better at slow speeds like a drive thru, but then it holds so much power when you finally have a reason to go full throttle!!!! 0-100 real quick.

The Mustang s550 is a very good daily that i would recommend too.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Found the car you’re referring to. It appears to be rather clean. Simple basic bolt on car. With the stuff that’s done to the car, I can’t imagine it would have all of those things without a tune on it. I’ve personally never dealt with them, however I know a member on here who has dealt with them, I think he mentioned them in another thread earlier @Klaus

I’d say it’s one of those things that I’d recommend going to see it in person, since you’re not mechanically inclined as you said earlier. It’s worth the money to have a Ford Dealer, or even a reputable shop in Texas take a look at it for you, and do a compression test, etc. a lot can be learned from a test drive as well.

You have a good memory. I have bought and sold to TX Hot Rides. I still check their site weekly for something new. They are 100%, buy with confidence.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I don't see stock injectors. So it wouldn't run without a tune. I'd still get it checked out. Especially if it doesn't have any kind of hand held included. It would be worth asking if the car has a tuning device with it like the SCT stuff.

Those mods wouldn't scare me off. I'm not sure I'd daily my Cobra anymore. But I've been spoiled by my current vehicles.

Those wheels however....not my thing.

I appreciate everyone’s response, I’m between a rock and a hard place…I tell myself I’m a mustang fanboy but then I’m looking at same-price-category C6Z06 and I’m torn. Especially when I seen guys on the SVT forums saying the C6Z is superior lol.

Cobracletus

Established Member
I appreciate everyone’s response, I’m between a rock and a hard place…I tell myself I’m a mustang fanboy but then I’m looking at same-price-category C6Z06 and I’m torn. Especially when I seen guys on the SVT forums saying the C6Z is superior lol.
I would agree that the C6Z is a superior vehicle. I would not recommend daily driving that or a terminator.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Do you have at least one other car in your household? Because I wouldn't recommend daily driving a Terminator. You CAN, of course, but it's going to be a rough-around-the-edges ride and (as already mentioned) you're going to pile on the mileage very quickly. If this will be your only car, find another high-performance car that you can truly enjoy as a daily driver. The S550 Mustangs fit that bill. Also remember that Terminators are not 20 years old, so you'll have to expect parts are going to fail or wear out, upping your maintenance costs. Some OEM parts aren't even available any longer. The C6Z is a nice, fun ride but really doesn't make a nice daily. Now with say, an S550 Mustang GT, you get high performance, more comfort, better over technology/engineering, likely less maintenance, more creature comforts, and more features.

If this is truly going to be a second, "weekend" type, car, go for it. These Cobras are generally fun to drive and when they're running well with no issues, always will put a smile on your face. The dealership sounds like a good one, so that's a big plus. You definitely should get it re-tuned if you buy it, for engine safety and your peace of mind. As suggested, get the car checked over, including a compression check of all cylinders. When you test drive it, overcome the initial WOW emotions and really focus on how the car drives and feels. Brakes. Shifting. Engine smoothness (ie. no missing, hesitations, etc.). Suspension smoothness. Internal controls. Take your time with this.

I hope that (1) this really would be a weekend type of car vs. a daily driver, and (2) that everything works smoothly for you if you decide to buy it.

LS WUT

Established Member
You have a good memory. I have bought and sold to TX Hot Rides. I still check their site weekly for something new. They are 100%, buy with confidence.
Every now and then I have a good memory. That’s good you gave the okay to buy with confidence. Maybe you can give the sales man you used in the past to not only help him with commission, and help ease OP mind.

LS WUT

Established Member
I think everyone’s responses, and questions are extremely valid. I’d guess there are quite a few questions I’d have to ask as well.

1. Is this going to be a weekend car?
2. What are you used to driving?
3. Are you just looking at cars in a specific price point, not necessarily what you’ve been wanting?

So I’m a tough one. I’ve had 27 cars in the last 7 years. I’ve driven a plethora of cars. My cars get lots of mileage, only one car I own that doesn’t move. Well 2 If I’m being honest. I daily drive my black 03 cobra 17k miles in one year, then I drove my 13 GT500 about 14k or so the year after. I’ve done about 15k in my hellcat now. I drove a lot for work, now I work at one primary place.

I ask what you’re coming from because if you’re used to modern comforts like cooled/heated seats, leg room, and other things I feel you might be a little let down. As stated by @CobraBob this is a 20 year old New Edge mustang. I could also recommend a 13/14 GT Mustang. However price point, I’d go with an 15 and up Mustang. I’ve had both, my 17 GT Premium Track Pack was amazing, and light years ahead technology wise, and comfort wise.

As for the C6Z06 my biggest issues with corvettes is they seem really tight for me. Which is great for corners, and such. However I like a little more room. They’re a blast to drive, and the torque is something you can’t replace on those bad boys. At the moment have a buddy rebuilding his motor due to the valve guide issue. However it’s a 2006, and it let go at 106k miles. My brother has a 16 Z51 corvette. Stupid awesome car, looks good, and is extremely enjoyable to drive.

Wow every time I check here there’s too many people to quote lol; great advice from all of you. It would pretty much be a weekend car as I’ll have a work truck….but now everybody has me looking at a Premium 6 speed GTPP. Corvette is off the list @LS WUT, I enjoy leg space and have a little one so back seats would make sense in my scenario.

LS WUT

Established Member
I think you’ll enjoy the S550 Track Pack Premium. I loved mine, and if you want a little more fun and power. Consider getting an RS3 :)

Attachments

• IMG_2579.jpeg
    IMG_2579.jpeg
    473.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2584.jpeg
    IMG_2584.jpeg
    561.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2949.jpeg
    IMG_2949.jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2952.jpeg
    IMG_2952.jpeg
    373.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2951.jpeg
    IMG_2951.jpeg
    307.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2950.jpeg
    IMG_2950.jpeg
    348.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2957.jpeg
    IMG_2957.jpeg
    227.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3084.jpeg
    IMG_3084.jpeg
    504.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3444.jpeg
    IMG_3444.jpeg
    456.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3622.jpeg
    IMG_3622.jpeg
    553.5 KB · Views: 49

LS WUT

Established Member
Also some cool cars to consider that have some good power, and fun as hell. What about a 2014-2017 Chevrolet SS, or even a Gen 2 CTS-V. Both bad ass cars, and fun to drive with the kiddo’s in the back. I’ve been spoiled with my hellcat charger. It’s heavier than Rosie O’Donnell, but she still scoots when I need her to. She ran 11.7@122 on all seasons in poop weather and 2650 DA.

Users who are viewing this thread