Question for Scotch drinkers

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I had one, forget the name, but it was like the seasalt at the beach and then after a few seconds a bonfire with seasalt at the beach. I was blown away by how distinct it tasted.

Sounds like Laphroiag. My wife says it is like drinking the smoke from a peat fire. Even among Scotch, it is pretty distinctive for the flavor of the peat smoke.

MFE

Established Member
It's impossible to give you a recommendation without knowing what you like in a scotch. Do you like delicate and mild or do you like heavy and peaty? Whiskey, scotch, or bourbon?

When you figure that out get back to us. If you can't figure that out take your $300 and go to https://www.masterofmalt.com/samples/ and order a whole bunch of types and figure it out. This is the better option than buying a bottle and hoping everyone likes it.

I agree with MFE, don't get Laphroaig if you don't know if everyone will like it. If everyone's tastes are all over the place you're better off getting a few different types inside your $300 range. Maybe a Jameson 18 Year Old Limited Reserve (if you can find it) or Balvenie Doublewood 17 alongside something peaty and heavy (yes I realize Jameson isn't scotch).

He said he Aberlour was his kind of thing, so it sounds like he might be a Speyside fan (and an acceptable human being), hence the Balvenie reco.

But more on the Laphroaig thing...the quickest way to turn people off Scotch is to make them drink Laphroaig or Lagavullen before they have an appreciation of the flavors involved. To the uninitiated they might as well be used WWII-era gauze bandages steeped in everclear, and then that's that...scotch, ALL scotch, is ruined for them.

GRUSE

Established Member
What is the milestone coming up next month? If you don't mind sharing,whatever it is congratulations.

Verde

Established Member
I've always been a bourbon drinker, but my best friend has been a scotch fan. We've since converted each other to our respective dark side of whiskey, but man, I still can't forgive him for giving me Laphroaig for my first taste of scotch. Tasted like a campfire that was snuffed out by scotch infused piss. Of course I finsihed the glass, each sip tasted of urine soaked ash.

We changed it up over the days, Balvenie, Oban, Macallan, couple different Glens, eventually I started to find my taste for scotch. Turning him on to bourbon was a much easier process. Enjoy the special occasion!

Mackey

Established Member
Lagavulin is typically my go-to scotch. I've tried the majority of the Macallan's, all the JW, and many more. I have not found anything that compares.

Only $70-80 a bottle.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Lagavulin is typically my go-to scotch. I've tried the majority of the Macallan's, all the JW, and many more. I have not found anything that compares.

Only $70-80 a bottle.

Lag 16 is an amazing drink. It's a little more expensive in ohio, but it's my favorite so far.

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
Picked up a bottle of Glenlivet 18 for my Dad's birthday. We both enjoyed it, smooth.

A buddy of mine had Dalmore Cigar Malt Reserve, good stuff as well.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I stick to the 12 year singles like Balvenie Doublewood, Cardhu, Glenlivet, Caol Ila, and Bowmore. I rarely spend money on 15 and 18 year old scotch.

Blown 89

Established Member
Well, I can tell you my favorite scotch is Aberlour 18, so more on the rich side. Besides that I don't have a ton of experience to compare bottles in that price range. The budget has never catered to it and neither will buying too many samples of random Scotch hoping to get a winner.

As for the company, there's only one Scotch snob. I'm not particularly worried about that.
Everyone is a scotch snob and they're all just as ridiculous as the next. Don't worry too much about him. If your favorite is Aberlour then yes, the Balvanie Double Wood is a good choice as is the Jameson 18 y/o Limited Reserve. To be honest I wouldn't worry too much about the price and just find something you'll like.

I stand by my previous statement about getting on masters of malt and getting a whole bunch of drams for everyone to try. $300 will buy you a ton of things to try and you'll end up with a bunch of these and in the end you'll find some you're crazy about and others you're not. It's a sure fire way to avoid the disappointment of buying a $300 of scotch only to find out it's a) overrated or b) terrible:
8644221720_0e8bc6320d_b.jpg

He said he Aberlour was his kind of thing, so it sounds like he might be a Speyside fan (and an acceptable human being), hence the Balvenie reco.
Ah, I was cooking dinner so in the time I saw the post and finished my reply I missed a few replies, his preference being one of them.

I stick to the 12 year singles like Balvenie Doublewood, Cardhu, Glenlivet, Caol Ila, and Bowmore. I rarely spend money on 15 and 18 year old scotch.
It depends on the scotch....there are a few that I actually prefer the 12 over the 18 and others just aren't worth the price difference.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
It depends on the scotch....there are a few that I actually prefer the 12 over the 18 and others just aren't worth the price difference.

Yep, I really like the Doublewood and Cardhu, so smooth and they won't leave a mark on yah. I think they are the best bang for the buck at that price point.

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
Another vote for Balvenie. Overall, The Balvenie scotches are "approachable" -- not big smoke or peat bombs. Especially if you're sharing with a mixed group. Balvenie 21 year Portwood is definitely a "special occasion" scotch, is really excellent and is about $150. (near me) But my favorite Balvenie is actually their Caribbean Cask 14 year, which can usually be found for under $100.

paluka21

Established Member

Balvenie 12 yr is a decent single malt for the coin. The 14 yr Caribbean cask is IMO a bit better for a little more money. Finishing a bottle of that right now.

paluka21

Established Member
For the smoothness of scotches, I also recommend Highland Park 18 and also their 12 year if you're on a budget. The 15 year is decent, but for some reason doesn't have the "complexity" or smoothness of their 12.

Users who are viewing this thread