Question for Scotch drinkers

MFE

Established Member
Do you want great, enjoyable scotch, or do you just want to pay a fortune for it? And what other scotches have you had that you liked and didn't like?

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Hibiki- https://dekanta.com/store/hibiki-12-years-old/?utm_campaign=adwords2

My friend is a Scotch enthusiast, and given that Scotch has to be from Scotland, he said that this Whiskey from Japan is his favorite among all the Scotch he has. I've tried a lot of his and I can vouch that it is really good.

With your budget you could do something like this and another good authentic Scotch.

MFE

Established Member
For the love of god, don't waste your money on Laphroaig unless you know for a fact that all the people you'll be drinking with actually like it.

MFE

Established Member
Macallan 18- Liked it, but wasn't especially remarkable
Aberlour 18- Like it a lot. Right flavor for me

Besides that I've mostly stuck to the 12 years, which are never incredibly special.

Try a nice Balvenie, or 6 bottles of Glenlivet Nadurra LOL

VegasMichael

Established Member
^If 40 or 50 bucks for good Scotch is too much you're in the wrong line of booze. Try T-bird or Old Milwaukee Lite.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Surprisingly never heard of it, even after spending a couple years in Japan. I'll look into it.

It was given to him by a Japanese friend of ours. I think he drank it all and he said he's been having trouble finding it again, but it seems to be available in the link.

Blown 89

Established Member
It's impossible to give you a recommendation without knowing what you like in a scotch. Do you like delicate and mild or do you like heavy and peaty? Whiskey, scotch, or bourbon?

When you figure that out get back to us. If you can't figure that out take your $300 and go to https://www.masterofmalt.com/samples/ and order a whole bunch of types and figure it out. This is the better option than buying a bottle and hoping everyone likes it.

I agree with MFE, don't get Laphroaig if you don't know if everyone will like it. If everyone's tastes are all over the place you're better off getting a few different types inside your $300 range. Maybe a Jameson 18 Year Old Limited Reserve (if you can find it) or Balvenie Doublewood 17 alongside something peaty and heavy (yes I realize Jameson isn't scotch).

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Glenfiddich is a damn good Scotch. It's a single malt, and the last time I got a bottle, it was under $100.00. Great Scotch is like great wine: if you don't have the palette to appreciate it, it's not worth the money.

Never serve it chilled, room temp only. If you can't take it straight, mix it with an equal amount of water. If you have to have it cold, one ice cube only! Too cold and it masks all the flavors it has to give.

Before you drink, take a normal breath. Take a sip, coat the inside of your mouth with it for a few seconds. Swallow, then slowly exhale. As you do, pay attention to what your taste buds are telling you, and you will perceive the the change in the flavor. The more you practice, the more of it you will "get." It's a lot like drinking wine, in that respect.

Enjoy!

and if you find you don't like it, and some people just don't, hey ... there's always Vodka!

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Glenfiddich is a damn good Scotch. It's a single malt, and the last time I got a bottle, it was under $100.00. Great Scotch is like great wine: if you don't have the palette to appreciate it, it's not worth the money.

Never serve it chilled, room temp only. If you can't take it straight, mix it with an equal amount of water. If you have to have it cold, one ice cube only! Too cold and it masks all the flavors it has to give.

Before you drink, take a normal breath. Take a sip, coat the inside of your mouth with it for a few seconds. Swallow, then slowly exhale. As you do, pay attention to what your taste buds are telling you, and you will perceive the the change in the flavor. The more you practice, the more of it you will "get." It's a lot like drinking wine, in that respect.

Enjoy!

and if you find you don't like it, and some people just don't, hey ... there's always Vodka!

I had one, forget the name, but it was like the seasalt at the beach and then after a few seconds a bonfire with seasalt at the beach. I was blown away by how distinct it tasted.

Users who are viewing this thread