Question about LED headlights - terminator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefe

Established Member
Those are Yukes projects which are DIY around $350 or $600ish ready to install. StockD15b does it as well. For those with HIDs all you need are projectors, bulbs and shrouds as well as any customization. You can reuse your ballasts/relays. He is around $400 if you send him your headlights. I believe Yukes prefers to get you a new set of headlights so you can sell your stock ones to make up the price tag

I want everything inside the headlight housing as black as possible to avoid that "Transformers" look haha.

Sounds like projectors are 3-5x brighter than halogens. Cant wait

Tractionless1

Established Member
^^ Good info. I'm going to try the LED's in the OE housing then make a decision on which route to go. If the LED's clean up the scatter that HID's cause in the OE housing I'll probably just stick with them. If I don't like them I'll most likely go the $400 projector route.

Tractionless1

Established Member
UPDATE

I did a trial run hookup of the LED system this weekend and left it in (even with the slight difficulty as described below) as the improvement over HID’s is enormous! The bulb fits in the housing and has enough clearance to clear the radiator core support without any modification. There is an issue with the OE bulb retaining ring fitting; however, I've sourced a forum post about modifying said ring and will begin working on that soon. If I cannot make ours work, I will purchase the ring the author of the forum post used and copy his method. I will do a how-to write up here for whatever solution I find and post a link in the How-To Forum. For now it's retained in the housing tight with the gasket and I taped it for added peace of mind due to the weight at the back of the bulb. This is actually American Muscle's chosen method for their HID kits. Ghetto if you ask me and DEFINITELY not how I go about modding my car, but it will work until I mess with the OE ring and at least I was able to take pics. the pics. below.

First impression in the garage was much less, almost zero scatter compared to the HID bulb in the other housing. The light is also MUCH brighter/denser, both the housing glow' as well as the light emitted. I'd estimate almost 50% compared to my 6k 35w McCullough HID system. You’ll see in the pictures below the HID beam travels farther down the road; however, I’m sure I can adjust the LED beam to do the same once the retainer ring is fit.

The LED driver module is absolutely tiny compared to the existing driver and igniter for my HID system. It's also very small even compared to the compact HID system drivers I recently purchased for a motorcycle install. It's the smallest I've seen and you can truly put this thing anywhere! The wiring is kindergarten easy, plug the driver into the car harness side followed by the driver into the LED bulb and you’re done. True plug and play! I feel this is a better option than an up to $600 projector retrofit to get HID's to look the same as LED's in our housings.

I used a $90 kit from Ebay as to be the guinea pig and possibly fail I wanted the least initial out of pocket expense. I've since found brighter kits but I'll stick with this one for now. I noticed in the forum post mentioned above all of the kit parts look identical to the Lifetime Warranty product.

Top of pic. is what's required to install one side LED, bottom same for HID.
photo2_zps0fc22a56.gif

LED driver compared to credit card size.
photo_zps70a39b6c.gif

6k 35w Bi-Xenon HID in OE housings.
photo1c_zpsd7db22fd.gif

6K 35w LED 2100 LM brightness (I've since found brighter). I feel once I get the retainer ring fit I can adjust the beam farther down the street.
photo3a_zps91ccf3d9.gif

HID's
photo2c_zpsf4aff044.gif

HID in driver's side LED in passenger side, note zero scatter on passenger side.
photo1b_zpscb7b378a.gif

LED Low Beam
photo2a_zps21e91ac9.gif

LED High Beam
photo1a_zps7b614a5e.gif

LED in passenger side, HID in driver. LED doesn't look as yellow to the naked eye, the camera is distorting it. I can't tell a difference in person between the 6k HID Fog's and the LED headlights.
photo3c_zpse13287bf.gif

6K LED Headlights and 6K HID Fog Lights, see comment immediately above.
photo4_zps42ecf58e.gif

Last edited:

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
What is the power rating on those bulbs? I'm just curious if they are less than the 35W needed for the HIDs.

Edit: Nevermind - I see it now - 35W LEDs.

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
Does look brighter, anyone ever flash their brights at you before? I wonder if they will now.

Im having retrofits done on mine to get that sharp cut off and wider disbursement. Im going with mini d2s square projectors

Tractionless1

Established Member
Does look brighter, anyone ever flash their brights at you before? I wonder if they will now.

Im having retrofits done on mine to get that sharp cut off and wider disbursement. Im going with mini d2s square projectors

Have never been flashed. In every vehicle I retrofit I trace the OE halogen beam pattern on the garage door, mark the spot my tires are at in the driveway, and adjust the new lights to the OE pattern. That's 5 vehicles and counting.

sav03cobra

Established Member
Yup I like em....I wonder how the Fogs would be?

Thanks for posting as promised. Appreciate your feedback.

Can you please explain a little more about the adapter ring?

Tractionless1

Established Member
Yup I like em....I wonder how the Fogs would be?

Thanks for posting as promised. Appreciate your feedback.

Can you please explain a little more about the adapter ring?

Yes, as soon as the retainer ring is done I'll post up the modification needed. I hope to tackle it July 4th weekend along with 4 struts and auto. trans service on the Neice's car, putting suspension back on a motorcycle, changing my Cobra to summer wheel set, etc.

I wish I could help with the fogs, according to what I read above BADASS03SVT above has them already, maybe he can chime in more info. for us. I would do them but as I said before I have 0 room for them on the passenger side due to 3 way valve and hosing for the KC.

sav03cobra

Established Member
Yes, as soon as the retainer ring is done I'll post up the modification needed. I hope to tackle it July 4th weekend along with 4 struts and auto. trans service on the Neice's car, putting suspension back on a motorcycle, changing my Cobra to summer wheel set, etc.

I wish I could help with the fogs, according to what I read above BADASS03SVT above has them already, maybe he can chime in more info. for us. I would do them but as I said before I have 0 room for them on the passenger side due to 3 way valve and hosing for the KC.

Ahhh thats what you meant for not having room, apologize I miss read. Think I am going to bite the bullet on these too. I think LED would be less prone to burn outs/ballast going bad....etc etc.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Ahhh thats what you meant for not having room, apologize I miss read. Think I am going to bite the bullet on these too. I think LED would be less prone to burn outs/ballast going bad....etc etc.

And the retainer ring just needs to be downsized and most likely the 3 tabs ground down some to fit onto the LED bulb due to the fan size. At this point it's just a formality I need to get to and I'm 100% confident all will work out well.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Jake,

Ugh OE lights are horrible, going HID was my very 1st mod. When I was driving home I felt like a flashlight was taped to the hood compared to my previous HID equipped car. Do you have a source for the LED fogs?

sav03cobra

Established Member
Jake,

Ugh OE lights are horrible, going HID was my very 1st mod. When I was driving home I felt like a flashlight was taped to the hood compared to my previous HID equipped car. Do you have a source for the LED fogs?

From my understanding the H10 bulb is the same bulb as a 9145/9005/HB3 etc etc....I contacted the seller (the one you purchased from) and they said that a 9005 LED should work for our fogs. I previously ran a 9005 HID and it fit in the housing fine. Here is the link to the new 2014 6400LM 9005 LED Bulb:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/26151417665...eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I am waiting for the seller to get back to me because I want to order both the High Power Headlights and Fogs....Almost $200 in lights but most likely it will be worth it over lifespan, quality, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread