Question about LED headlights - terminator

Status
Not open for further replies.

THunterW

SGTSVT & SVTSGT
Established Member
Keep us updated! I'm currently running Silverstar Ultras on my heads and fogs that I swapped over from my Lightning, since the L and Cobra use the same bulbs and I went 6k HID in my L. I would defininitely like more light when I'm driving at night, and if I can do that without running a bunch of wiring and balasts, then I'm all for the LEDs!

Tractionless1

Established Member
Keep us updated! I'm currently running Silverstar Ultras on my heads and fogs that I swapped over from my Lightning, since the L and Cobra use the same bulbs and I went 6k HID in my L. I would defininitely like more light when I'm driving at night, and if I can do that without running a bunch of wiring and balasts, then I'm all for the LEDs!

10-4 it looks like for high/low LED's there's just a single slim ballast per headlight housing. Plug your harness to one end and bulb to the other, done. My current HID system has 2 full size ballasts, 2 full size ignitors, and a separate controller for the high circuit. Looking forward to dumping 2/3's of that gear and using smaller ballasts supplied with the LED's.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
10-4 it looks like for high/low LED's there's just a single slim ballast per headlight housing. Plug your harness to one end and bulb to the other, done. My current HID system has 2 full size ballasts, 2 full size ignitors, and a separate controller for the high circuit. Looking forward to dumping 2/3's of that gear and using smaller ballasts supplied with the LED's.

I haven't bought my silver star ultra's yet as I'm waitin to hear what you have to say about the LEDs. How much where they?

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
subscribing to this thread.......I have had HID's for several years now and been happy, but I am curious to see experiences with LED

Tractionless1

Established Member
I haven't bought my silver star ultra's yet as I'm waitin to hear what you have to say about the LEDs. How much where they?

Bought a set on Ebay with Cree bulbs from Hong Kong or China for $90 shipped. I figured on doing so rather than spending $150 at Lifetimeled.com as they'll be easier to sell for $80 or so if this winds up being a FAIL.

Honestly I've had Chinese HID fogs for 7 years without a single issue. Hopefully all will go well with the LED's also. Link to the set is below, higher lumen than most in the price range. It's also the only that gives you a 6k choice which are the same as the aforementioned fogs. I figure on keeping them as the base of our # bulb in LED form definitely won't fit on the passenger side of my car with all my KC valving and hoses. I'm skeptical that it will fit the fog light housing itself without modification. Someone else will have to be the guinea pig on that one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/26142152085...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Last edited:

Tractionless1

Established Member
Good news, I found a source for H10 fogs that look lower profile and may fit our housings. I'm waiting on dimensions from the retailer. They also don't have ballasts so true plug and play into the OE harness without any other additions. They may also have headlight 9007's without ballasts, just waiting on a response as the last I saw they were in production.

The original kit I ordered estimated arrival time is between 6/4 and 7/5, thanks for your patience.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Very interested in how this works out. I've switched over to HID due to the lower power/higher lumens compared to Halogen. LED is even lower power - and if it is anything like the Cree flashlight I have - it should be plenty bright. I can brightly light up a house 3 doors down. My flashlight doesn't even have the most powerful bulb in it.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
led are good for close range lighting not so good for long distance range like for a head light .

This is false. They just need to be done right, and most people have no clue about LED's. In a lot of ways, people are just misusing them like we misuse HID's in a halogen housing.
The 2013-2014 mustang already comes with LED foglights, and they are INSANE. What's different about those than putting an LED in a halogen housing? Again, almost the same thing as putting and HID bulb in our housing. The light needs to be focused to be effective. I learned about how important this was a few months ago with the thread below. Very informative. If you want to do LED lights, this is the only way IMO.
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forum...ng-fog-light-retrofit-project-2004-cobra.html

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I LOVE how my 6k HID's light up street signs from a half mile away, I'm not prepared to give that up.

everyone driving the opposite way also flips you off half a mile away....lol

I just put LED fogs in...HID Guy sells them and also the headlights.

Jmurrz

Established Member
I love my HID Guy LED fog lights. I got the high power white and they are perfect. I am waiting to hear how these LED headlights do...

Jefe

Established Member
I'm with you on that, not to mention IMO the projector housings look silly on SN95's. I'm hoping the plug and play LED"s are the answer.
That was my thinking as well but after seeing how good the light output is on a properly setup projector, I can get over that. Besides there are tons of options for projectors and how you want it to look. Now that pretty much every car has projectors, it doesnt look as "ricey" to me as it used to

These you cant even really tell its in there

customer-ride-21.jpg

customer-ride-22.jpg

customer-ride-76.jpg

customer-ride-73.jpg

Pretty sure im going this route soon

I'm sick of HID's, I believe I'm just going to go with Silver Star Ultra's and call it a day.

That's not going to be a good move. Went through 2 sets myself and the warranty is VERY limited and the brightness over stock, doesn't meet the marketing claims. And for what you are paying for a set, that money is spent better elsewhere.

I love my HID Guy LED fog lights. I got the high power white and they are perfect. I am waiting to hear how these LED headlights do...

The problem with HID GUY is that he's a CROOK and doesn't honor any warranty on his products, until recently it seems. And those LED fog lights with the high power option, only have a 90 day warranty on them. Be careful with that low life, slimeball, who is Mr. Customer service until you have an issue with your item and make a warranty claim. Oscar the Crook of HIDGUY is not someone anyone should feel comfortable doing business with.

THunterW

SGTSVT & SVTSGT
Established Member
I've got SilverStar Ultras in my heads and fogs that I re-used from my Lightning when I put HIDs in it. The brightness sucks. I can't imagine how dark it would be with factory bulbs in...

Tractionless1

Established Member
That was my thinking as well but after seeing how good the light output is on a properly setup projector, I can get over that. Besides there are tons of options for projectors and how you want it to look. Now that pretty much every car has projectors, it doesnt look as "ricey" to me as it used to

These you cant even really tell its in there

View attachment 18429

View attachment 18430

View attachment 18431

View attachment 18432

Pretty sure im going this route soon

I agree the referenced look good during the day, not so sure at night. Are these the offerings from the member here for $600 or elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread