Question about LED headlights - terminator

Status
Not open for further replies.

teapizzle

Established Member
Does anyone know if they make LED headlight bulb replacements similar to ones you purchase for tag and reverse/brake lights on a 03-04 Cobra?

TheDome

Established Member
I have used V-LED's for several vehicle projects. They have a great selection and customer service is top notch. They are in the US and stock Morimoto which is a quality system. If you can get a list for the bulb numbers in your vehicle the sky is the limit on their website.

Tractionless1

Established Member

I've read when OE's started supplying them they run so cool they didn't melt snow off the housings. I'm not sure if that's still an issue or not, or how it would relate to a retrofit.

I checked out some Youtube vids. comparing LED to both HID and Halogen. The LED's didn't have a very far reaching beam. Sure they were great right on the road in front of you but when compared even to halogen the beam distance was much shorter. I LOVE how my 6k HID's light up street signs from a half mile away, I'm not prepared to give that up, especially at the same wattage draw. But for $150 I may be the guinea pig and get first hand experience with them.

I checked clearances based on the LED bulbs 9007 schematic and they're the same length as my current HID's. It seems the 55mm width of the cooling fan will fit where it will sit as well. So, I went ahead and ordered what seems like a good set on Ebay after comparing with the link above (which are backordered). Even got to choose from 5k or 6k color and went 6k to match the HID fogs. The lumens are high on the Ebay kit as well with 22 low and 26 hi.

As far as I can tell there's no way the LED bulbs will fit in our fogs and especially mine considering KC and 3 way valve plumbing. Who knows maybe the HID fogs LED Heads will be a good mix. Either way I'll be able to sell either the LED kit or current HID kit.

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
^x2! was really thinking about it but since you already ordered some I'll see how you prefer them to your hid's.

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
I just switched from stock bulbs to Zxe's (direct plug in replacement) and the difference is literally night and day.

It was scary driving the back roads of Charlotte at night until I switched. I would avoid taking it out at night.

Now I can enjoy driving the Cobra at night.

Last edited:

Tractionless1

Established Member
I just switched from stock bulbs to Zxe's (direct plug in replacement) and the difference is literally night and day.

It was scary driving the back roads of Charlotte at night until I switched. I would avoid taking it out at night.

Now I can enjoy driving the Cobra at night.

What's ZXE? Another halogen? If so they don't hold a candle to HID (pun intended). Make sure they aren't substantial wattage over OE or you'll be frying your wiring and other components.

Additionally, I'll definitely update; though it may be awhile considering I ordered overseas. They did ship on Friday 5/16 so keeping fingers crossed.

Last edited:

THunterW

SGTSVT & SVTSGT
Established Member
Do the LED bulbs scatter the beam pattern all over the road like when using HIDs in a non-projector (OEM) housing? I have 6k HIDs in my '02 Lightning and love the brightness of them, but it has a weird beam pattern since I'm not using projectors. I've been hesitant to put HIDs on my Terminator due to 1) beam pattern in non-projector housing, and 2) pictures of HIDs in Cobras I've seen seem to have a greenish tint to them, maybe from the factory smoked lenses? Wondering if LEDs would fix any of that?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I'm sick of HID's, I believe I'm just going to go with Silver Star Ultra's and call it a day.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Do the LED bulbs scatter the beam pattern all over the road like when using HIDs in a non-projector (OEM) housing? I have 6k HIDs in my '02 Lightning and love the brightness of them, but it has a weird beam pattern since I'm not using projectors. I've been hesitant to put HIDs on my Terminator due to 1) beam pattern in non-projector housing, and 2) pictures of HIDs in Cobras I've seen seem to have a greenish tint to them, maybe from the factory smoked lenses? Wondering if LEDs would fix any of that?

Evidently not and is why I'm giving them a try.

Anyone have pics of the lifetime LEDs at night.

Youtube

I'm sick of HID's, I believe I'm just going to go with Silver Star Ultra's and call it a day.

Are you sick of the scattered beam or you having problems?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Evidently not and is why I'm giving them a try.

Youtube

Are you sick of the scattered beam or you having problems?

There bright but they have usless and scattered light output. I don't want to pay $500+ for retrofitted lights.

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member

I thought the same as I had a bulb out and had to pick up something quick so I grabbed the best on the shelf.
More than happy with the results with stock housings.

My lighting looks just like the pic that is advertised.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread