Quality difference between AMR wheels and Forgestar F14's?

joey-roma

Established Member
Forgestar is made in the USA. I just got some for my 2013 Boss 302. Great wheel great company. These wheels are extremely light and strong. They really made my car look great. You can not go wrong with Forgestar. Give them a call and talk to them. Whats great is thy can make them however you want. Offsets color everything can be customized.

P7270975.jpg

P7270971.jpg

P7270964.jpg

P7270961.jpg

P7270966.jpg

Not Made In USA

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
And you can tell the difference in performance and drivability of a $700 set of wheels vs a $2k set of wheels? :rollseyes

unlikely, but I will know lol

Damn that is a nice ass GT500...wait... he is on AMR's :lol1:

nah im jk I thought about those but I have seen quite few on cars around me. I haven't seen any F14s around me. BUT, it was a no brainer because I wanted a 11" wide wheel for a 315 setup. Plus deep concave :beer:

burke985

Established Member
I got TSW and they are pretty light at 22 lbs each and are forged , but if I were buying wheels today id go with forgestars they are very nice and even nicer in person. Pics dont do them justice

Last edited:

Chameleon76

Formerly Bad_302
Established Member
AMR's sucked for me. Balance issues big time. Put stockers back on. Can't beat Ford wheels unless you buy quality like Forgestar etc. not cheap AMR crap.

+1 Selling my AMR's and going with Forgestar asap.

NinjaBum

Established Member
My f14's just passed QC and shipped out. Pretty excited, despite not knowing if I'll like em as much since I had to order 19's to pass the wife's cost limit requirements.

SVTour99

Up and Coming SVT Poster
Established Member
While doing the same functional job its still really an apples to oranges. One is unapologetically budget oriented. They are heavier but look good and are cheaper. The other are targeted to a higher end customer. Its not a fair comparison...

Cruzinaround

Forgstars are flow spun presure formed and Heated

The Forgestars' use an efficient process that is actually not a casting process. Its called flow forming which includes a pressure heated process during cooling to roller compress the form into a denser and stronger mass per volume displacement. Resulting in a lighter and stronger end result. These are not simply poured cooled then CNC'd to order. This is a hybrid process closer to forging but more efficient to maintain a more even distribution of mass around the wheel barrel. Resulting in better balance and a lighter performance wheel that is more predictably controlled than even a traditional Forged process. Its also less expensive to manufacture resulting in a cost savings to the end user for a product that rivals all the benefits of a traditional forged wheel. These will bend before they crack and won't simply shatter like a Cast wheel. And inch per inch in comparison to Cast ...these are lighter and stronger. When compared to Traditional forged wheels... they are similar in strength and weight but also have an overall better balance out the box due to the nature of its production.

This is an innovative advancement in wheel technology that is a benefit to the customer in price, performance and reliability. And therefore you pay a bit more than Cast wheels, but not as much as an old school forged wheel.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
I've got charcoal AMR's because I got them practically for free and they will be for winter use. Once spring rolls around I'll be in the market for Forgestars!

DanenGraham

Established Member
Has anyone in the mustang world had problems with Forgestars coatings? I know most people realize there is a long wait to get them if you get a custom offset, or they are backordered. But there have been many cases where the coatings were flaking off, or a hue off from one another.

I have some for my syclone in gunmetal finish, and you can see what looks like hair line cracks in the coating. Its not bad but it is there on i think 3 out of the 4 wheels. I had a major problem with the company i ordered my wheels from (DEA drug bust, paid them in full, they only made a deposit, payed extra to get my wheels i paid for /rant). And also had a custom offset, custom order, it took almost 8 months to get my wheels.

8 months

Another person on our local board had major problems with the coating flaking off while he was waxing the wheel the same day he got them. He went back and forth with Forgestar and ended up paying shipping to have them recoated, when he got them back the hues did not match on each wheel, there were like 3 different shades.

They didnt want to do anymore after that, so he posted the story on as many BMW forums as he could find. They worked a deal out to have them coated a few days later, and asked that he take all the post down.

I love the wheels, and im sure they are decent quality. But i hope they have figured out how to powder coat by now. Anyone else?

BV600

Established Member
Has anyone in the mustang world had problems with Forgestars coatings? I know most people realize there is a long wait to get them if you get a custom offset, or they are backordered. But there have been many cases where the coatings were flaking off, or a hue off from one another.

I have some for my syclone in gunmetal finish, and you can see what looks like hair line cracks in the coating. Its not bad but it is there on i think 3 out of the 4 wheels. I had a major problem with the company i ordered my wheels from (DEA drug bust, paid them in full, they only made a deposit, payed extra to get my wheels i paid for /rant). And also had a custom offset, custom order, it took almost 8 months to get my wheels.

8 months

Another person on our local board had major problems with the coating flaking off while he was waxing the wheel the same day he got them. He went back and forth with Forgestar and ended up paying shipping to have them recoated, when he got them back the hues did not match on each wheel, there were like 3 different shades.

They didnt want to do anymore after that, so he posted the story on as many BMW forums as he could find. They worked a deal out to have them coated a few days later, and asked that he take all the post down.

I love the wheels, and im sure they are decent quality. But i hope they have figured out how to powder coat by now. Anyone else?

I had an issue with the coating.
Matte black that turned greyish in like 5 months, only washed with water and car wash soap.
Also the coating on the fronts was thicker than the other ended up scratching lug holes getting lugs on and off. Used the thinnest socket also.

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
I had my tires mounted at a good shop (touchless tire mounting) in washington. When I brought the wheels to him brand new he immediately pointed out a flaw on the lip. It was a pit in the powder coating down to the metal. Then he started to say that every time that a customer has brought in forgestars, there has been defects in the finish every time. :nonono:

They are on the car now and I can't even notice.I used the splined lugs for mine and the socket is very small in diameter so no issues with banging up your finish in the lug holes.

Last edited:

R-SPEC015

Established Member
I have just received the CF5's I ordered back in May this year. They arrived in Sydney, Australia last Wednesday.

I was told there had been some problems with the CF5 moulds and then a delay in powdercoating.

The wheels themselves though look pretty good, they were well protected with the packaging. I've done a trial fitment and clearances seem OK.

I've posted a photo of my car, the front 6-pot Brembos and the wheels. I hope to get the tyres done in the next week so. Sizes are 19x8.5 (+30) F and 19x9.5 (+40) rear.

The red wheels are the original Ford wheels 19x8 and 19x9.

frontsideb.jpg

46m.JPG

t2q4.jpg

y41e.JPG

Last edited:

Squamishcoyote

Wheel Hoppin
Established Member
I have just received the CF5's I ordered back in May this year. They arrived in Sydney, Australia last Wednesday.

I was told there had been some problems with the CF5 moulds and then a delay in powdercoating.

The wheels themselves though look pretty good, they were well protected with the packaging. I've done a trial fitment and clearances seem OK.

I've posted a photo of my car, the front 6-pot Brembos and the wheels. I hope to get the tyres done in the next week so. Sizes are 19x8.5 (+30) F and 19x9.5 (+40) rear.

The red wheels are the original Ford wheels 19x8 and 19x9.

frontsideb.jpg

46m.JPG

t2q4.jpg

y41e.JPG

Damnit why the hell can't we get the f'n falcon in North America... Sexy ass car you got there

R-SPEC015

Established Member
^^^^ Thanks for that! ^^^^

She is a beauty! Supercharged V8, the supercharger was developed locally by Harrop Engineering for FPV (Prodrive and Ford). Sorry to post up here in the Mustangs Forum but I've joined to find out as much as possible as the next model will be coming to Australia.

Falcon will die in 2016. Such a shame after 50 odd years.

Ford NA give the reason for the Falcon not being sold there as being it was not engineered for LHD but we have seen pictures of an FG (current model released in 2008) firewall showing steering can be fitted on the LHS of the car.

Probably NIH (Not Invented Here) syndrome has something to do with it as well.

c. love

Established Member
Wow I love peoples opinions here are mine.

AMR is like any cheap wheel. If you have a few hundred to spend get them. Probably not bad will not be as light as a forged wheel, finish might be mediocre and the style is just a rip off from something else

Forgestar--Personally I ****en hate them but not because the wheel is shit. I also own them. I ordered them the finish was pretty legit, the wheels are pretty light, the balance just fine, but the company pisses me off to no end. I waited forever!!! (17 weeks) to get these wheels and I always heard oh waiting for this or waiting for that or colors we list but don't do all the time take longer. THEY ARE F14'S FOR Gods sake the wheel that "everyone" has. Then to boot the fitment is ok, they specs are not stamped on the wheel or the box. Little things yes but enough to make me never want forgestar again.

As for MADE IN THE USA . LOL I would rather have a high end Japanese wheel any day. Quality is top notch and the wheels that are forged are generally very very light. CCW is one USA wheel I would love though

As for 800 wheels on a 30K car. That's a dumb argument. I have had wheels from 800-4000 for all 4. In the end the spendier ones are nicer, sometimes lighter and all the details are covered. Personally I wish I could afford a 20 inch Volk TE-37 for my car but I cannot justify the price they want for these. Eventually I will get Taiwan knockoffs GASP!!!! My point is you wallet, your style and what you can make fit all have a say in your choice.

Stock wheels look like shit--even the nicer track pack wheels. Gross

Users who are viewing this thread