Procharger Challenge!

MarauderTJA

# 2 Procharger Marauder
Established Member
BillyGman said:
It didn't seem to matter really. I ran two 12.2's consecutively in 70 degree temperature. Both were when the engine was fully warmed up. Then at around a 50 degree track temperature, I ran two 12.0's back to back. One was done when the engine was only partially warmed up, and the other was about 10 minutes later, and the engine was fully warmed up. And I don't usually bother with icing down the engine. I'm not saying that's neccessarily wrong to do. I just don't bother with things like that. The same goes with removing the driver's side headlight or using race gas. I always want to see what my car will run while it's in the exact same mechanical condition as the way it's run on the street.The only thing I sometimes do is open up the hood for a few minutes after a run while I'm in the staging lanes waiting to run again. But with a nice 1st & 2nd gear burnout before the race, I think that will usually heat up the engine pretty good anyway, unless the temperature is in the low 40's.

The only thing that I do differently when my car is on the track is take the air pressure down a little bit in the back tires to take full advantage of the track and the VHT compound. That's it. I'm pretty much an open book about what I do on the track as well as what I've done to my car. I get really turned off by racers who always want to keep secrets, and never want to say exactly what they did to their car. That's childish as far as I'm concerned. I would understand if we were professional racers, but come on. We're just amatuers, and this is just supposed to be for fun. it's our hobby, so why all the secrets? I don't like racing guys who want to keep secrets. That's for teenagers. If my car beats yours or anybody else's, I'm perfectly willing to tell them what I've done to it on and off the car boards.

I agree 100% Billy. I do exactly the same thing. You are right, we are not professionals so what is hte purpose of having the 007 attitude. Nothing like having a 70 degree day for racing though. That is about the only thing I miss about back home in New England. We have to wait until the winter for those temps. Makes a big difference at the track.

Tom

Last edited:

maraudernkc

Procharger Kit #0
Established Member
Billy, when racing aginst each other both parties should put the mods on the table. I agree. I am suprised you car runs just as fast warm as it does cold. That's great that it does.

Our cars will run faster cold because our tune is running 12 degrees of timing with adders of up to another 4 degrees. If conditions are perfect you could get up to 16 degrees total timing. I think it's based off IAT, coolant tempature etc.

I hope you guys have a fun race. There really are no losers. These cars all run great.

BillyGman said:
It didn't seem to matter really. I ran two 12.2's consecutively in 70 degree temperature. Both were when the engine was fully warmed up. Then at around a 50 degree track temperature, I ran two 12.0's back to back. One was done when the engine was only partially warmed up, and the other was about 10 minutes later, and the engine was fully warmed up. And I don't usually bother with icing down the engine. I'm not saying that's neccessarily wrong to do. I just don't bother with things like that. The same goes with removing the driver's side headlight or using race gas. I always want to see what my car will run while it's in the exact same mechanical condition as the way it's run on the street.The only thing I sometimes do is open up the hood for a few minutes after a run while I'm in the staging lanes waiting to run again. But with a nice 1st & 2nd gear burnout before the race, I think that will usually heat up the engine pretty good anyway, unless the temperature is in the low 40's.

The only thing that I do differently when my car is on the track is take the air pressure down a little bit in the back tires to take full advantage of the track and the VHT compound. That's it. I'm pretty much an open book about what I do on the track as well as what I've done to my car. I get really turned off by racers who always want to keep secrets, and never want to say exactly what they did to their car. That's childish as far as I'm concerned. I would understand if we were professional racers, but come on. We're just amatuers, and this is just supposed to be for fun. it's our hobby, so why all the secrets? I don't like racing guys who want to keep secrets. That's for teenagers. If my car beats yours or anybody else's, I'm perfectly willing to tell them what I've done to it on and off the car boards.

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Yeah, some engine tuners have different formulas for what they've found to be best in their own tuning experience in order to avoid detonation in supercharged engines. Some engine tuners go with more timing advance, and richen the air/fuel ratio (AFR) more, while others, run an AFR that isn't as rich, and run a more conservative ignition timing advance to keep supercharged engines away from pinging. For instance, a local engine tuner told me that in supercharged engines you should NEVER run a leaner AFR than 10.5:1 or 11.0:1. But that depends on what your timing advance is. AFR and timing advance aren't totsally independent of eachother when it comes to avoiding detonation in the supercharged engine.

Some engine tuners place more emphasis on a conservative timing advance, and claim that the timing advance is more important for staying away from detonation in supercharged engines, than running a pig rich AFR is. Either way you still have to run on the rich side with a supercharged engine ofcourse, but some engine tuners run their customers' engines more rich than others do. All I know for certain is, that so far, I have 19,000 supercharged miles on my ride, and a stock botton end, and so far, it's great. I never thought that this can be done with a compression ratio of 10.0:1 but Lidio is one of the guys who has proven that old theory wrong. It really depends on the tune.

Users who are viewing this thread