Prepping the 98 Cobra for the Open Track!

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
i think you should keep it cobra, and not the saleen kit.

pics or ban, pics or ban!!

LOL

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
i think you should keep it cobra, and not the saleen kit.

pics or ban, pics or ban!!

LOL

Yeah I have been thinking and decided to keep it Cobra.

I want to take pics, but I haven't had the time to get the drivers side door skin replaced (some did a hit and run on me while I had it parked at my girls place). Of course the 1 time I decide to cruise it.

The wing hasn't been painted either. Just haven't found the time to do so with Q4. Business has been very time consuming.

:nonono:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Removed the back seat yesterday and ordered a rear seat delete from 50 resto.

Took a good amount of weight out of the car. That bracket is pretty heavy.

Next I plan to remove the driver side and passenger side seats - I think I'm going with suede Cobra Daytona race seats w/ some harnesses.

My girlfriend has my camera so if I can grab it today I'll snap some pics - finally.

Last edited:

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
Removed the back seat yesterday and ordered a rear seat delete from 50 resto.

Took a good amount of weight out of the car. That bracket is pretty heavy.

Next I plan to remove the driver side and passenger side seats - I think I'm going with suede Cobra race seats w/ some harnesses.

My girlfriend has my camera so if I can grab it today I'll snap some pics - finally.

Sweet, cant wait to finally see some pics.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Is this saga finished yet? NASA puts less effort sending the shuttle into orbit. :lol:

Just joking.... have you had the car out on track yet?

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Is this saga finished yet? NASA puts less effort sending the shuttle into orbit. :lol:

Just joking.... have you had the car out on track yet?
:lol:
Well right now I'm in Utah on a ski vacation. Next order of business is getting the wing painted when I return and getting the braided lines installed. I haven't had time to address the accusump or road race pan.

There really isn't much left to do though. The panhard setup is in the car, the rear seat has been pulled, the rear is completely built, the coilovers have been adjusted, the brake cooling foglight housings have been installed, the 180 degree stat has been installed with water and water wetter and the steeda ball joints and bumpsteer kit have been installed.

Here's what's left in no particular order:
1. Installing the 4 stainless braided brake lines with fresh valvoline synthetic brake fluid.
2. Brake cooling ducts installed.
3. T1 race wing painted.
4. Accusump kit and canton windage tray/road race pan installed.
5. Black Microsuede Corbeau CR1 Race seats (driver and passenger).
6. Black Corbeau 5 Point Harnesses.
7. Corbeau Bracket Adapters
8. Cross bar welded in on cage for harnesses.
9. New (lighter) MAC catted mid-pipe.
10. Waiting for my new dual setup AeroForce gauges to arrive so I can install those.
11. Fix my drivers side door skin - not necessary to go to the track, but I want it fixed.

Not much left for the car to be ready to go on the track, but still a lot I want to complete.

Takes time, money and patience, but trust me I'm doing this to take it to the track.

As far as pics my girl has had my camera forever, but when I return I'll snap some pics of the car as it sits.

I'll be sure to snap some pics of the parts installed too for those who are curious.

:beer:

Last edited:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Ok let the games begin.

Spoiler is getting painted and will be done this Weds.

I'm getting the brake lines installed w/ new valvoline full synthetic brake fluid as I write this.

I also priced out 2 corbeau cr1s, corbeau 5 point harnesses, adapter brakets and harness pads for about $1,450 shipped.

The aeroforce gauges came, but for some reason are not reading correctly. I'm working with Todd and the Aeroforce crew on resolving the issue. I will say I have had a few issues with the parts, but they have been nothing but helpful. These are my second set of dual gauges and I still stand behind the product especially with the customer service I am receiving.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Time to finally get the accusump and road race pan in. I'm going to take it to a shop for this install. Any of you Cali folk know of a good shop familar with this installation?

I also finally took some pics today so as soon as I upload them to photobucket I'll finally show you guys this myth of a Cobra I have been talking about for so long.

As soon as the pan and accusump are installed I'm taking her to the track. The sooner the better.

So anyone know of any shops you'd recommend I hae do this job?

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
Time to finally get the accusump and road race pan in. I'm going to take it to a shop for this install. Any of you Cali folk know of a good shop familar with this installation?

I also finally took some pics today so as soon as I upload them to photobucket I'll finally show you guys this myth of a Cobra I have been talking about for so long.

As soon as the pan and accusump are installed I'm taking her to the track. The sooner the better.

So anyone know of any shops you'd recommend I hae do this job?

Man i cant wait to see the pics man! I finally got my cobra up and running today! Glad this problem isnt gonna get carried into 2008. :beer:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
OK so I just got the T1 wing painted and installed on the car so I'm going to post pics of that. The pics I took were with no wing at all.

I had the panhard bar adjusted, the rear seat delete is installed, my aeroforce dual gauge setup arrived and is now installed and working flawlessly. The 4 Russell stainless braided brake lines are now on the car w/ valvoline full synthetic brake fluid.

The car is going into the shop to get the 3 qt. Accusump installed with a really nice electronic valve system along with the Canton Road Race pan and windage tray. Hoping to have it mounted in the trunk. I'm also having the shop install the brake cooling kit.

Then time to get an cross bar welded in and... race seats/harnesses/brackets and a Mac catted H.

I'm also looking at the GR40 hood. I left Bruce Griggs a message about the hood as I'm looking to have the same one Ernesto has on his American Iron car... (vented) I believe Ernesto has 2 additional vents on his hood.

Anyone have any experience with this hood?

Last edited:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
The car is getting dropped off at the shop today to get the Canton Road Race pan/Windage Tray installed along with the 3 qt Canton Accusump.

I ordered a Canton EPC valve system which offers a no hassle electronically operated valve setup with quick recharge rates. The system monitors the pressure on the system and keeps it within the range specified on the valve. between an electronic valve and a manual this is the best of both worlds.

Other then the below, the car is pretty close to where I want it. I'm looking forward to getting it on the track.

What's left to do:
- Mid-pipe
- Lightweight Race Seats
- 5pt. Harnesses
- Cross bar welded in for the roll cage
- Autometer steering column gauge pod
- oil pressure gauge
- Eventually going to look into a built road racing transmission

Unclebens

my sack is huge
Established Member
Anyone have any experience with this hood?

I talked to Ernesto at Sema a year ago, i think he told me it was a Tiger-Racing hood, not sure about that though :shrug:

The build looks sweet man :beer:

My buddy is looking to buy this bad a$$ black 98 with an aftercooled vortech and GR40 World Challenge suspension :bowdown:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
I talked to Ernesto at Sema a year ago, i think he told me it was a Tiger-Racing hood, not sure about that though :shrug:

The build looks sweet man :beer:

My buddy is looking to buy this bad a$$ black 98 with an aftercooled vortech and GR40 World Challenge suspension :bowdown:

The old one was definitely a tiger racing hood.

The hood he runs now I believe is a GR40 hood from griggs racing. I called Bruce Griggs and he said they could get me the same hood Ernesto runs.

I'm going to go for it shortly.

An Aftercooled Vortech will be a future project, but I want to get her on the track N/A first and get used to what I have already done.

:beer::pop:

Last edited:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
So the accusump, road race pan/windage tray and brake cooling kit installs look like they will be fairly long installs... 15hrs total possibly according to the performance shop.

Looking forward to finishing it up!

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Quick update:
The Canton EPC Valve is here! This thing looks great!

I'll be dropping that off at the shop later today.

I also put in an order for a custom oil pressure gauge from speedhut to match the other two gauges in the car as well as a steering column pod.

Hopefully the Accusump, road race pan and brake cooling ducts will be done before the weekend. Then we can address the oil pressure gauge next week.

We are also going to make sure the drivers side rear coilover has the strongest bolt possible back there. See the Rear Coilover Thread in the section on why...

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Picture time!

I have a few, but they are wingless (since they were taken when my T1 wing was getting painted).

The car is currently in the shop getting the road race pan, 3 qt. accusump w/ EPC valve system, brake cooling ducts and shortly after oil pressure gauge.

We are also putting in a stronger bolt on the driverside rear coilover (eyelet).

The car should finally be complete sometime next week.

Then I'm going to do something to the 04.
  • Install a oil temp gauge/custom cup holder bezel in the cup holder to monitor the rear differential oil temps.
  • Install a flip switch in the coil holder to activate the rear diff cooler pump (It currently turns on automatically when the oil reaches a certain temp).

I guess you can say I want more control and awareness of what's going on back there.

Users who are viewing this thread