Prepping the 98 Cobra for the Open Track!

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
So I just ordered a few more parts...

- Accufab 96-98 Cobra Throttle Body
- Steeda 180 Thermostat Cobra
- Steeda 9mm Plug Wires 96-98 Cobra

I'm going to do some installs with my friend...

1) Change the plugs to NGK TR6's gapped @ .54 and replace the old coil wires with the new Steeda 9mm plug wires.
2) Port the intake manifold for the new single blade throttle body
3) Install the single blade throttle body
4) Flush the coolant system out, replace the stat with the 180 and run distilled water and water wetter
5) Install Anthony's brake cooling duct

The larger installs to come will be done by my friend...

1) Canton Road Race Oil Pan w/ Windage Tray - still needs to be installed
2) Canton Accusump Kit - still needs to be installed
3) Tranny Swap and Clutch/Flywheel replacement

I may decide to throw in the LDC head cooling mod for good measure. I also need to decide on which mid-pipe I want to go with....

The saleen T1 wing should be finished @ Tiger Racing by the end of this week - supposedly weighing in at ~6-10lbs. So that will be getting painted and installed pretty quickly.

Lot's of work still left to do, but I figured I can do some of the easier things myself. More rewarding to work on the car myself.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Ordered some aeroforce gauges (dual setup).

This week is going to be a long one. I have a lot of installs to do with my buddy.

:beer:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
So it looks like the rear of the tranny is leaking a bit. Thankfully I have another mint T45 to swap in, but I think this tranny is actually ok. It's seems either the motor mounts need to be replaced or the rear seal is leaking (maybe the yoke is incorrectly sized).

I'll look into this and fix what needs fixing.

Getting really close! I was hoping to make the upcoming HPDE on Nov. 3rd, but I don't think the car will be ready. We'll see...

My buddies built SS should be done at the end of the month. He's raising the compression to just under 11 and threw in a new Centerforce clutch and throttle body to take advantage of the ported intake/heads etc... Should be a beast.

I can't wait to race against him at the open track. We are pretty competitive....

I will definitely post up some pics of the car and of the car at the track when it is finished.

:beer:

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Getting really close! I was hoping to make the upcoming HPDE on Nov. 3rd, but I don't think the car will be ready. We'll see...

My buddies built SS should be done at the end of the month. He's raising the compression to just under 11 and threw in a new Centerforce clutch and throttle body to take advantage of the ported intake/heads etc... Should be a beast.

I can't wait to race against him at the open track. We are pretty competitive....

It's not a race. Remember, you're going there to learn. The more you open your mind and take in what's offered, the better you'll become.

If it's a NASA HPDE, they'll boot you if they catch you trying to race a buddy. If your instructor even lets you try. There was a guy at a Car Guys event at Pocono a couple years ago that was following his buddy around with a video camera in his car do catch all the "cool moves" his buddy could do. Very akin to racing, and the following car with the camera had a new instructor, that couldn't get him to stop. As his buddy went into an infield turn, he slid, and the following car ran off track, right into a line of cars gridded to go out (that grid location has since been changed). Guess who's never going back to Car Guys again.

It gets competitive out there, that's part of the thrill. But remember what you're there for. It'll serve you better in the long run.

Last edited:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Steeda x2 ball joints and bumpsteer kit are now in the car and the car has a pretty aggressive alignment. We also lowered the car a bit more in the front and rear (the control arms are level still). Both parts made a significant change to the ride height and handling and I am pleased.

Next are the brake cooling ducts, steel braided lines, valvoline full synthetic brake fluid and Saleen T1 wing installation.

Your shop did actually measure bumpsteer and adjust it, right? If not, have it checked.

Brian

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
It's not a race. Remember, you're going there to learn. The more you open your mind and take in what's offered, the better you'll become.

If it's a NASA HPDE, they'll boot you if they catch you trying to race a buddy. If your instructor even lets you try. There was a guy at a Car Guys event at Pocono a couple years ago that was following his buddy around with a video camera in his car do catch all the "cool moves" his buddy could do. Very akin to racing, and the following car with the camera had a new instructor, that couldn't get him to stop. As his buddy went into an infield turn, he slid, and the following car ran off track, right into a line of cars gridded to go out (that grid location has since been changed). Guess who's never going back to Car Guys again.

It gets competitive out there, that's part of the thrill. But remember what you're there for. It'll serve you better in the long run.
I'm glad you said this. :beer:

I'd actually have to say I'm a pretty conservative driver at the track. Very apt to my progress and in touch with the car. I push it but far from where some of you do.

My buddy on the other hand is going to be competitive and will have to learn the ropes of safety on the track before he goes Mad Max.

What I'm looking forward to is progressing within my comfort level. Learning the car I have setup more and more. The fun of racing with my buddy is more so meant to have another buddy I can open track with.

One who can say "Wow that was a blast! Turn 4 gave me some problems and my exit speed out of turn 3 is lacking, but I'm learning and feeling better each time out there."

It's something we can do and have fun with together which will be a blast.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I'm glad you said this. :beer:

I'd actually have to say I'm a pretty conservative driver at the track. Very apt to my progress and in touch with the car. I push it but far from where some of you do.

My buddy on the other hand is going to be competitive and will have to learn the ropes of safety on the track before he goes Mad Max.

What I'm looking forward to is progressing within my comfort level. Learning the car I have setup more and more. The fun of racing with my buddy is more so meant to have another buddy I can open track with.

One who can say "Wow that was a blast! Turn 4 gave me some problems and my exit speed out of turn 3 is lacking, but I'm learning and feeling better each time out there."

It's something we can do and have fun with together which will be a blast.
:bowdown: Agree 100%.

Last edited:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
So I changed the spark plugs (NGK TR6's gapped @ .054), changed the wires to FR 9mm and pulled the intake manifold so a local machine shop could machine out the inlet for the single blade throttle body. The machine work will be finished today and the intake manifold/single blade will be on the car shortly after.

I did notice that a clear thin hose was disconnected behind the manifold and triggered a lean bank 1 code on the car. I never noticed this until I pulled the manifold. It wasn't unhooked for long, but I did notice a loss of power and rough idle. Any ideas what the hose is and where it goes? A picture would be of grat help if someon e has one. Also any thoughts on the gap of the spark plugs?

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Guys do you think running TR6s gapped @ .054 is a bad idea? Will I lose performance?

To give you an idea the car has a ported intake manifold inlet, single blade throttle body and decked heads so I have a bit more compression then stock = increased cylinder temps/pressure.

Thoughts?

BTW the single blade sounds like a supercharger. Sounds like it's going to suck in a bird or something.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Thanks for all the advice here guys. I gapped the new TR6s @ .045 and found out that 2 of the old TR6ixs were fouled (2 and 7) which caused the idle to be off.

The clear hose turned out to be the vaccum hose from the old boost gauge when the old motor was supercharged. It wasn even connected to anything. I know. I know :lol1:

The new plugs, wires and single blade throttle body are in and the car runs great other then the tranny.

I believe the rear yoke going into the rear of the tranny is sized incorrectly or the seal is leaking b/c there is some tranny oil getting thrown around back there. I have an extra T45 so I'll probably throw that one in and hae the other one beefed up by ProMotion or another tranny builder and while I'm at it I might just throw in the head cooling mod, my centerforce cluthch assembly and the 03/04 cobra flywheel I have laying around.

Last parts to install are as follows:

1. Stainless steel braided brake lines with fresh valvoline full synthetic brake fluid.
2. Brake pads
3. Brake cooling ducts
4. 180 degree thermostat
5. Distilled water and water wetter.
6. Canton Accusump kit
7. Canton road race pan and windage tray.
8. Saleen T1 race wing
9. Aeroforce gauges (2)

Almost done!!! I might make the track events I had hoped to after all.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
DJ, your location of "Someplace Sunny" I assume is like CA or FL or someplace where you can run water all year round? I ask because I've had distilled water and Water Wetter in all summer, and I'm just planning to drain and add coolant before it gets too close to 32 degrees here.

BTW, winter sucks!

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
DJ, your location of "Someplace Sunny" I assume is like CA or FL or someplace where you can run water all year round? I ask because I've had distilled water and Water Wetter in all summer, and I'm just planning to drain and add coolant before it gets too close to 32 degrees here.

BTW, winter sucks!

That's correct... California. :beer:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Hope you're safe from the fires. Looks bad from over on this side.
Thanks for that. It has been getting really bad out here. Luckily I'm in the clear but others haven't been as lucky and my prayers go out to those families who have lost their lives, their homes and everything they built. A couple of my really good friends volunteered to help in SD on their day off.

Very sad.

Last edited:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
180 degree stat is in with distilled water and water wetter. Runs about 10-20 degrees cooler and actually cools much faster! Temps drop pretty quickly. I'm very satisfied and the water and oil temps look great.

We tried to install the rest of the Kenny Brown Panhard setup, but the rod my friend gave me is too long so he is going to get me a shorter one. I can't wait to get that part on.

I'll get the brake cooling ducts installed with my friend as soon as I get Anthony's new fog light brackets. (Anthony do you recommend removing the fog lights? It looks like there is more then enough room for both. I was just wondering if the fog light can remain with your brackets?).

I also need to send in my 2 aeroforce gauges for firmware updates. The new ones I ordered I put in the 04 and took the older ones out of the 04 for the 98. Hopefully I'll get those back within a week.

Tiger Racing should have the 6 lb. Saleen T1 wing completed shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread