Power tools: corded or cordless

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member
Thanks guys, this is what I picked up this weekend and it was on sale for $99

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Cordless stuff is pretty damn good anymore.

I've got all Ridgid, I like the lifetime service agreement that includes batteries (although I've never used it). I buy far too many of them because they go on sale constantly. I also like that Ridgid said they will continue to build tools to work with old batteries, so even my 10-11 year old batteries work with my little cordless air pump that was designed like a year ago.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Cordless stuff is pretty damn good anymore.

I've got all Ridgid, I like the lifetime service agreement that includes batteries (although I've never used it). I buy far too many of them because they go on sale constantly. I also like that Ridgid said they will continue to build tools to work with old batteries, so even my 10-11 year old batteries work with my little cordless air pump that was designed like a year ago.
I worked with a guy that only bought Ridgid. He dropped a drill 3 stories up and broke it. The next day he had a new one he got at Home Depot. They simply gave him a new one. I recall him mentioning that the warranty had changed since then, but good to know your experience is good also.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I worked with a guy that only bought Ridgid. He dropped a drill 3 stories up and broke it. The next day he had a new one he got at Home Depot. They simply gave him a new one. I recall him mentioning that the warranty had changed since then, but good to know your experience is good also.
I've only had to replace one tool and it wasn't due to age or anything. Just a sawzall from one of those big 6 tool packs that was defective upon opening.

I just went in with the tool, told them it was defective (no receipt) and it came out of one of the big packs. They asked me to point out which pack I had bought, and I did, then proceeded to open the pack and pull one out to exchange it. I tried to tell the guy to just open one of the single box ones but they really did not give a shit. For older tools you are supposed to send them into ridgid for the service agreement but I have a feeling you could go to the store and have it taken care of pretty easily.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member

DeWalt used to do this at Home Depot. I returned many many DeWalt 18v hammer drills and regular 18v drills back in the day.
They used to check the date on the bottom of the drill/on the battery to confirm the warranty, then swap it out on the spot. This was back in the DeWalt NiCad 18v days though.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
DeWalt used to do this at Home Depot. I returned many many DeWalt 18v hammer drills and regular 18v drills back in the day.
They used to check the date on the bottom of the drill/on the battery to confirm the warranty, then swap it out on the spot. This was back in the DeWalt NiCad 18v days though.
Sometimes it’s better to buy the whole tool with the battery than just the battery.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Sometimes it’s better to buy the whole tool with the battery than just the battery.

That's what I do. Ego 5ah battery is like 250.

Ego blower 765cfm + battery was like 290.
I have 2 blowers now lol.
Going to convert one to a smaller tunnel for a portable car drying blower

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
That's what I do. Ego 5ah battery is like 250.

Ego blower 765cfm + battery was like 290.
I have 2 blowers now lol.
Going to convert one to a smaller tunnel for a portable car drying blower
Bingo, plus you have a spare battery.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member

Yeah, I never buy just the batteries. But they used to check the date on the drill and the 2 batteries to confirm it was a legit kit, and not an old drill and 2 old batteries getting passed off as new.

Last year HD had a deal going where you buy 2 DeWalt batteries, and you get a free 20v tool. We figured out that you can return the batteries and keep the free tool. I did this 3x last year in a month :D
My brother in law saw a vid on YT with a guy explaining it. So we went and tried it and sure enough they let us return the batteries. So at that point it was off to the races.:p
They deal was supposed to end in January, but HD ended it early. Haha. I wonder why. I bet people were doing it everywhere before they really noticed.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Gonna have to vote on Milwaukee cordless tools. I use them in a industrial environment and they hold up well. They have a 1” drive impact that we use at work and it’s a beast! My 3/8ths m18 impact will rip lug nuts right off. The guys use to use dewalt but have all converted to the m18 stuff. My wife’s favorite tool I own is their leaf blower. She says I never in my life thought I would enjoy using a leaf blower so much. My 3yo and I were launching some of his toy cars from the leaf blower the other day, it was an awesome time.
b87591c0abc72d885d2d45ff64cf6e3b.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
I still have all corded tools, and air. This is a good thread to maybe get me on some of these battery operated gizmos.

My Craftsman Brushwacker finally bit the dust. Think I cracked the piston or the ring peaced out. But it made it from 1992 to 2022. Went to check out a electric Stihl. Was over $600 for the battery and weed eater. Ended up with an FS94r.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
After having used a gas powered limb trimmer for a long time, I bought a Craftsman battery one (about two years ago), highly recommended in numerous places. So impressed. In the winter I work around the woods edges, cutting low limbs, saplings, etc. The battery would last all day and it was about the only thing I used. Cut some limbs that were thicker than the bar length. So much better than gas.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I still have all corded tools, and air. This is a good thread to maybe get me on some of these battery operated gizmos.

For pretty much any weekend warrior work, it doesn't matter what brand you choose, just stick with it. I would look around at what you will need, then wait for deals because they are really common.

I couldn't believe it when my buddy (who barely uses his tools) switched from Craftsman to Dewalt out of no where.

You'll be pretty impressed the first time you use a 1/2" impact, stuff is getting pretty much as strong as air.

Blown 89

Established Member
I use battery for almost everything at this point. Thank God I got into it all when battery prices were cheap.

I use a battery powered Ryobi pressure washer the most. There's a bottle attachment that allows me to rinse with 1.5 gallons of distilled water so I can let it air dry while I do other things. It dries spotless every time and the annoying drips out of the mirrors and trunk dry invisibly. It's also nice to rinse off a dusty car instead of washing it.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
we did buy the expensive hammer drill setup from Milwaukee since we have to do a decent number of anchors in concrete and it works very well and we dont have to pull the generator cart with us. I'll probably be buying the 1" extended anvil impact for removing lugs on the garbage trucks.

I ended up with the milwaukee stuff at home because the impact had more torque than my craftsman air impact (cheap one that came in the kit with the noisy ass compressor) and it was all down hill from there. I would like to try out the chainsaw and such too

Users who are viewing this thread