Power tools: corded or cordless

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Both
If I’m set up on a table I use corded saws. Drills I use battery. Ryobi is good around the house.
I haven’t worn tools at work for a long time so for me that’s irrelevant.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Ryobi CORE demonstrated its torque and performance duties during that bridge decking job. The drill would predrill 1/4"×12" holes and the impact would drive 3/8 shank timber screws through the clips and into 7 pressure treated 2x6's stood on edge. I had Milwaukie and Dewalt on hand as well, they simply couldn't handle that task. Money and tools were no object on this job, as we only had 2 weeks to completely refurbish the bridge. Thing is, I recently bought a new set of Ryobi driver and drill combo, It simply is not made as well as years ago.
Screenshot_20220730-063944_Gallery.jpeg
Screenshot_20220730-063904_Gallery.jpeg
Screenshot_20220730-062552_Gallery.jpeg
Screenshot_20220730-062604_Gallery.jpeg
Screenshot_20220730-062641_Gallery.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S506DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

Established Member
I started making the move to battery tools a few months ago. I have the stubby 1/2" Milwaukee impact and it can knock the lug nuts off my truck with no problem. I've since bought the long reach ratchet and flashlight. My drill is a black and decker the kids got me years ago for fathers day. The battery is starting to show its age, but the drill itself is still strong.

I have a corded 1/2" drill just in case, but rarely use it. My son didn't even know I had it because it's been so long since I've used it.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I didn't have luck with Dewalt,

Milwaukee was much better,and worked better with larger battery,,

I'm still hesitant being these have changed so much ,
To stock pile one brand

But when I used a battery chain saw and weed Wacker. The battery was so nice. No issues starting and weed Wacker worked very well on low.

Just got a zero turn mower and those even come now battery powered ,,I went gas model ,

SHOdown220

Established Member
I jumped on the Ryobi band wagon a few years back. Have a ton of their 18v stuff, not just drills but fans, inflators, hedge clippers, weed eater, sander, power inverter, lights, the list goes on. Home depot got me on one of their 2 batteries and a free tool for $99 deals. Direct tools outlet sealed the deal with half price "factory blemished" or reman tools that look and work as good as new.

I find I use lifestyle "tools" more than I do actual tools like drills and such. I'm always grabbing the work light, taking fans to outdoor family gatherings, using the inflator to check tire pressure on the vehicles or inflate pool floats, etc. Point being as others have said pick a brand that has a bunch of stuff so your batteries work for all your tools. I have a supercharger that holds 6 batteries at once so I'm always good to go.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I didn't have luck with Dewalt,

Milwaukee was much better,and worked better with larger battery,,

I'm still hesitant being these have changed so much ,
To stock pile one brand

But when I used a battery chain saw and weed Wacker. The battery was so nice. No issues starting and weed Wacker worked very well on low.

Just got a zero turn mower and those even come now battery powered ,,I went gas model ,

I have a bunch of the DeWalt yard tools (weed Wacker, hedge trimmer, 60v chainsaw with 16" bar, and leaf blower)
As long as you use the higher amp batteries, so they last long enough, they all get the job done everytime.
I just took down a tree in my backyard with the 60v chainsaw.
I can say, I've had the 20v (12" bar), and it wasn't up for the tasks I was trying to put it through. Had to sell it in favor of the 60v.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Cant complain about any of my dewalt stuff and i have a pile of em. Impact, driver, drill, circular, angle grinder etc...but...i still have a air compressor for a reason lol

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Cant complain about any of my dewalt stuff and i have a pile of em. Impact, driver, drill, circular, angle grinder etc...but...i still have a air compressor for a reason lol
Tires and blowing stuff out, still need the compressor. I have all Dewalt myself. Still want a cordless hammer drill and angle grinder, as the ones I have now are corded. My lawn stuff is all EGO, but still have my gas Echo stuff. Gas zero turn as well.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Tires and blowing stuff out, still need the compressor. I have all Dewalt myself. Still want a cordless hammer drill and angle grinder, as the ones I have now are corded. My lawn stuff is all EGO, but still have my gas Echo stuff. Gas zero turn as well.
The 18v Milwaukee looks pretty damned good but I already have a pancake compressor for that stuff.

I’d like to compare the brushless hammer drill I have now against a chorded one. A few years back using my craftsman battery powered against my uncles chorded piece, he could drill 2-3 holes in a block house for my one

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I have a bunch of the DeWalt yard tools (weed Wacker, hedge trimmer, 60v chainsaw with 16" bar, and leaf blower)
As long as you use the higher amp batteries, so they last long enough, they all get the job done everytime.
I just took down a tree in my backyard with the 60v chainsaw.
I can say, I've had the 20v (12" bar), and it wasn't up for the tasks I was trying to put it through. Had to sell it in favor of the 60v.

Battery chain saws are awesome. Much safer and lighter for timber construction. Picking away at the twisted tree house today for the grandkids. Floor happens next. We have no electricity here. Solar charges everything. Another great thing about Battery tools are no air compressor or generator back ground sound. Just Music playing in the woods.
Screenshot_20220731-082805_Gallery.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S506DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

boost88

Established Member
Cordless is the way to go. I've got ryobi 18v stuff and it's great. Theyve been through2 remodel projects, 100s of customer furniture builds and the Sawzall I left outside all winter still works....

Sent from my SM-G988U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Cordless is the way to go. I've got ryobi 18v stuff and it's great. Theyve been through2 remodel projects, 100s of customer furniture builds and the Sawzall I left outside all winter still works....

Sent from my SM-G988U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I did the same thing with my DeWalt sawzall. I found it behind me shed, it was legit frozen to the ground after some snow had melted. Battery and all. I was surprised to see it still worked after a heavy thawing :D

beau t

Established Member
Just about all cordless drills nowadays are capable -- i just wish they would opt for good chucks on them without making you get the top tier or buying your own to install.

shurur

Established Member
I am just a outdoor shade tree "mechanic" with tarps to lay on, a nice set of AL ramps and an extension cord.

Corded tools....nobody makes all the battery tools you will use...now you have a shit-ton of different batteries and chargers. Then you have batteries to replace and dispose of.
Then you have the overall lack of performance when compared to corded tools as stated in previous posts.

Of you work out in the middle of nowhere, then sure, battery tools make sense. You have nothing else you can do.

If you all like battery shit so much..buy an electric car..just kidding..just kidding..

Last edited:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
The 18v Milwaukee looks pretty damned good but I already have a pancake compressor for that stuff.

I’d like to compare the brushless hammer drill I have now against a chorded one. A few years back using my craftsman battery powered against my uncles chorded piece, he could drill 2-3 holes in a block house for my one
I will say the couple new dewalt XR i have are bad ass compsred to older stuff

My new drill and impact driver are XR and the drill is way better than the old

Lowes had the buy one get another deal goin on and wtf what man doesnt need 2 drills and 2 drivers? And hell yes come winter when that sale hits again im getting a ocsilating tool i dont need and some other thing i dont need lol

Users who are viewing this thread