Post one newer pic of your ride (EVERYONE!!)

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Trying to learn a dslr with a pain in the ass colour to shoot
838df3e21561852c96915114552edbb0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Try shooting at golden hour and pay close attention to your iso and shutter speed if it gets dark quicker than you wanted. Keep at it and it'll all click eventually.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Try shooting at golden hour and pay close attention to your iso and shutter speed if it gets dark quicker than you wanted. Keep at it and it'll all click eventually.

All this and you leave out the most important advice.

Have a very lovely sister-in-law willing to be photographed with the vehicle.

Tob trying to keep all the secrets to himself.

On a serious note, do you think the light coming in from the garage door, behind the vehicle, take away from the image? My wife is the DSLR go to-person in our house.

Silver95

Established Member
All this and you leave out the most important advice.

Have a very lovely sister-in-law willing to be photographed with the vehicle.

Tob trying to keep all the secrets to himself.

On a serious note, do you think the light coming in from the garage door, behind the vehicle, take away from the image? My wife is the DSLR go to-person in our house.

Big time they do. Could have spent more time editing

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member

As garbage as you felt that picture was, the car, the garage floor, and the legitimately clean brick wall made up for it.

More to digest there than I care to admit I’m jealous of. Good work man.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator

I can only share my experience here. I'd guess it was just an impromptu photo, a quickie if you will, so criticism isn't really fair but it may help in some way, don't know.

The photo of the orange car is kind of stuck between two worlds. One with artificial light and the other with harsh light from the sun. The issue is that the highlights get blown out. The white areas outside are over exposed. The detail in the overexposed areas gets lost and you can't recover it in post. I encircled those areas at the front of the car.

838df3e21561852c96915114552edbb0.jpg

In a nutshell, try to set your exposure so that those highlights maintain detail. Study up on what a histogram is as it can tell you when this is happening in real time. The problem is that if you control the outside light to maintain detail, the darker areas of the photo (such as any shadows) may turn out to be underexposed. You can tweak those areas in post to lighten them but you have to be wary of noise. Neutral density filters can work magic in allowing you to set aperture on a bright and sunny day without everything getting blown out. If you like to shoot on bright and sunny days I'd consider getting one for your favorite or most used lens.

If I owned that orange car I'd be thinking along these lines...that color is all about contrast. It's punchy as they say. Find a desolate area. No trees, telephone poles, people, etc. Get low and back away from the car to get some separation. If you do have a wall in the background (for example) allow some space between the car and the wall in an effort to manage depth of field. This can work to force the eyes to focus on the subject or in this case, the car. Shoot early in the morning when the sun is coming up, or late when it is going down. Or on a cloudy, overcast day. Try to control the light in a way that shows the lines of the S550 best. Shoot from numerous angles and elevations. Take advantage of aperture if you have something like an f1.2 lens to get a blurry effect in the background.

If you have a tripod, try shooting at night with long exposure - you'll learn a lot.

Above all, experiment. Try some unconventional angles and if you have a few different lenses, try all of them so that you can better familiarize yourself with their limitations or sweet spots. Since my sister in law was mentioned :))) I'll use her as an example of what I'm saying here. I have quite a few Canon RF lenses to choose from now but I wanted a 24-70 f/2.8 for some different angles when doing portraits or video auditions for commercials. Right outta the box from B&H Photo, camera handheld up in the air, with a stark white studio background. I wanted a high key variant, as the lighting works well to soothen imperfections (in skin, etc).

Bellissimo%20Madame-X4.jpg

Will that lens work well when out with the S550? Sure, as it works well with landscape type scenery too. I'll have to spend time with it to find out how I can get the most out of it. I plan to use it for some interior shots too as the focal length should work well in a limited space.

Anyway, sorry for being long winded. The key is to get out there and have some fun with photography. It's a great feeling when you get that one bangin' shot...even if it took you 50 or more to get there.

andymarkv

Established Member
I know squat about taking photo's...but it seems like it can also come down to super simple things. It took me forever to realize why I liked some pictures of the trucks I owned a lot more than others.
I finally realized that I liked the pictures where I drove over dirt and it stuck to the tread blocks of the MT's, really highlighting their aggressiveness.
I'm sure pro-photog guys have a HUGE bag of tricks like that and are super observant as to why some things "look" better than others.
f150.png

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I know squat about taking photo's...but it seems like it can also come down to super simple things. It took me forever to realize why I liked some pictures of the trucks I owned a lot more than others.
I finally realized that I liked the pictures where I drove over dirt and it stuck to the tread blocks of the MT's, really highlighting their aggressiveness.
I'm sure pro-photog guys have a HUGE bag of tricks like that and are super observant as to why some things "look" better than others.
View attachment 1813796
I typically use my iphone 12. I'm no photo snob.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
View attachment 1813796
Good looking F-150! Simply stated and purty. ;) I love the wheels/tires package.

ArabianOak

Established Member
Bentley replacement already??? Post up some more pics and thoughts when you get a chance.
i had the bentley on consignment at my friends dealer the last few months. the ford dealer FINALLY called me on tuesday to tell me they will sell raptors at or below MSRP...they had a used one that was a nice chunk under sticker, I drove it yesterday and pulled the trigger. Picking it up today.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
i had the bentley on consignment at my friends dealer the last few months. the ford dealer FINALLY called me on tuesday to tell me they will sell raptors at or below MSRP...they had a used one that was a nice chunk under sticker, I drove it yesterday and pulled the trigger. Picking it up today.

Nice... love me some BRaptor

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I can't keep up with you, Abe! LOL. Pretty cool that you can try so many vehicles like you do. Living the (short term) dream, you are. (y)

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
View attachment 1813796
Perspective is huge and when you get it right it can make all the difference. That's a good angle for that truck and a nice wheel/tire combination.

Users who are viewing this thread