Possible help from ford

JaysonMFK

5.0 Fanboy
Established Member
My last post came off more hostile than I had intended, so I apologize.

But I'm just at a loss on why people think this is a minor mod... Perhaps it's because I come from a high performance turbo background where tuning is essential to longevity and power. It's also not a simple plug and play application. My car had a standalone that had to be mated to the stock car multiplex computer systems. So usually people who fiddled with the tuning had some background in EFI before venturing into such endeavors.

I wish everyone the best of luck with their modding, but hope people start taking the time to research a bit more how the specific mods effect their vehicles. Believing what you see on a youtube sales video and not doing any due diligence is never a recipe for success.

Happy 4th! :)

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I guess being in the business I look at it from a different stand point as I mentioned earlier their were no issues of the 05-10 4.6L cars blowing up as a result of an cai/tune combo. It's very easy for you guys to say "You play, you pay" when you're not the one with a blown up 7k mile car with as you stated "the basics" which in 99% of cases are the first 3 things most Mustang guys do to their cars CAI/Exhaust/tune!

it is easy to say it when we are not blowing up engines, it is also easy to say it when I mod a 7k mile engine and it blows up. it is called accepting personal responsibility for your actions and your choices. it doesn't matter that the 05-10 4.6L cars aren't blowing up. they are a different engine than the 5.0 so things may or may not work the same.

by basics I am referring to suspension, exhaust and CAI. those are the basics once you go into the tune you are no longer doing the basics. yeah a LOT of guys do a tune (including me on my cars) but that does not make them basic that makes them popular.

and I don't know who you are talking about but the first three things I do to a car is suspension, exhaust, and CAI. I think exhaust and suspension are probably at the head of most peoples list.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
I guess being in the business I look at it from a different stand point as I mentioned earlier their were no issues of the 05-10 4.6L cars blowing up as a result of an cai/tune combo. It's very easy for you guys to say "You play, you pay" when you're not the one with a blown up 7k mile car with as you stated "the basics" which in 99% of cases are the first 3 things most Mustang guys do to their cars CAI/Exhaust/tune!
you understand that this is a 100% BRAND NEW engine, right??? it doesn't share ANYTHING in common with the previous mod motors aside from physical dimensions. there were barely any parts even carried over. like Jayson said, this is a very high compression engine with complex variable cam timing, you better know what the hell your doing when you mess with the tune.
it is NOT ford's job to make this engine idiot proof for tuners who don't know what they're doing.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
you understand that this is a 100% BRAND NEW engine, right??? it doesn't share ANYTHING in common with the previous mod motors aside from physical dimensions. there were barely any parts even carried over. like Jayson said, this is a very high compression engine with complex variable cam timing, you better know what the hell your doing when you mess with the tune.
it is NOT ford's job to make this engine idiot proof for tuners who don't know what they're doing.

GOOD call. I dont know why these mail order guys dont double check on a dyno just to be sure when getting the tune. I used to be into the putting the intake and tune in on other mustangs i had. I hardly ever drag race. Im over the intake/tune deal. Unless your racing

wtfchuck

Established Member
I find it amusing at the number of people who make statements like "You play, you pay" and crap like this. Simple fact is anybody who was running a cai/tune combo and broke their engine would be pissed as shit and doing whatever they could to rally support from the community. The money is not the issue the car will be fixed regardless it's more a principle thing. Trust me it was not some "shady" tuner even though the tuner's name has not been said it's merely out of respect for him and his attention to the subject!

tuner has been named in other posts through out the various forums

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
GOOD call. I dont know why these mail order guys dont double check on a dyno just to be sure when getting the tune. I used to be into the putting the intake and tune in on other mustangs i had. I hardly ever drag race. Im over the intake/tune deal. Unless your racing

we have a dyno and everything was researched and hours were spent datalogging on both the street and the dyno before our e tunes were offered to the public..but still any tune that is not optimalized and verified based on datalogs and AF from your vehicle specifically is taking the chance of a not pleasant outcome

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Linn, does Rick change the knock sensor settings? Has an amazon tuned car lost #8 that you know of?

And an out of curiosity question. If the knock sensor setting is left alone, shouldn't a tune written for 91 (or even 93) octane still be able to pull timing like stick for bad or less octane fuel? If not, why not? Thanks in advance, I've been very curious about this.

BOD89LX

Established Member
So this is how I see it if you mod your car under warranty dont install any parts that you have to remove to before you go in for service and you will be covered if you have a problem. If you want to see how FRPP test's there warranty compliant parts go to there web site, they do 100's of hours in the wind tunnel and in all types of conditions that these car will ever see. I plan to do the FRPP power pack and run it hard for the 1st year maybe a little longer then do a TVS blower and if it breaks after that I will pay to fix it. So like I said if you feel like you are not doing anything that you shouldnt do to affect your warranty then why take the parts off and retune??

:beer:

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
we have a dyno and everything was researched and hours were spent datalogging on both the street and the dyno before our e tunes were offered to the public..but still any tune that is not optimalized and verified based on datalogs and AF from your vehicle specifically is taking the chance of a not pleasant outcome

Good to know. thanks for taking the time to post. It was nice u took the time to explain.

95RioRedCobra

This Cobra Bites!
Established Member
Trust me when I say I understand the term "You play, you pay" and when dealing with "new" technology there is a bit of concern, however when the same tuner has tuned hundreds without any similar issues it creates a cause for concern with the product. Do you honestly believe that everybody who has had this issue posts about it on the internet? The internet is not the holy grail of facts. Posted below is a picture of a tech discussion forum where multiple techs discuss the #8 issue and of course it's not 100% verifiable, but one tech does say the car he is working on seems to be stock.

forddoc1.jpg

JaysonMFK

5.0 Fanboy
Established Member
The spelling alone has me worried about ever needing to take my car to a Ford dealership.

TBuick87

Established Member
DAM!! As I posted last month, dealer near me had a Confirmed
Stock car, with a number 8 dead...Replaced motor, and sent Ford Forensics...

Users who are viewing this thread