Positives & Negatives of Coffee

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
I usually have a cup or 2 of black iced coffee at work everyday. We have a Keurig in the office so it makes it idiot proof to make it.

I kind of in the minority when it comes to K-cups because I think they suck. They're not even half filled with coffee which makes for a watery cup IMO. When I use it, I fill up one of those reusable ones to the brim to get a smooth cup. Less wasteful too.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
^^ this exactly. I can never get a k-cup to be as dark as I like it. Don't like them one bit. They also just taste kind of funky.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I started drinking coffee because I felt it was unhealthy to drink sodas at 9am to get caffeine to stay away. Now I chug a 20oz mug of coffee basically every day on the way to work (skim milk and stevia to attempt healthiness), then a Monster Zero on the way home so I don't fall asleep at the wheel. I need more sleep.

Although I'm fairly positive I became immune to caffeine during college because I drank so much Monster to try and stay awake. And because I like how it tastes. And because it goes well with vodka...

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I drink it black in the morning about an hour into the office. I have and still do at times, drink it in the afternoon and evening. Lately, I've been drinking it black on ice cubes in the morning.

One thing about coffee, it removes any doubt you may have about having a #2 in the staging lanes. Find you a burnout box, quick.

BWAHAHA...it's a part of my 'drop heat routine' in mornings before work and afternoons before a run.

THunterW

SGTSVT & SVTSGT
Established Member
I've never really been a fan, since I don't care to drink hot beverages or like the bitter after-taste from drinking regular black coffee. I used to drink a NOS energy drink every morning, but have cut those out lately. I'm pretty immune to caffeine too (even though I need it to function!). I have no problem falling asleep soon after drinking an energy drink or pre-workout...

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
i drink about 16 oz every morning and drink some in the afternoon of non workout days. i think i drink too much caffeine since ill get a headache if i dont have my AM coffee

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
I have to say, its pretty incredible how addicted to caffeine you guys are lol. I have never heard of headaches from lack of caffeine, i didn't even know that was a thing. But multiple energy drinks, and coffees, and 5 hour energies. Not at all judging or downing anyone, i just never knew people really were as dependent on coffee as all the jokes seem to make it seem. Nobody just goes all natural and drinks fruit juices for a little extra boost? I will say that if I'm having a sluggish morning and I dont get my juicer going in the am, I am not the same for the rest of the day. But even then I've never needed my juicer on a daily basis.

Last edited:

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Wife and I are coffee snobs, seriously. We used go use our Vue by Keurig but realized the plastic from the cups does seep into the brewed coffee. We bought a press and started buying beans and grinding them using a coffee burr/mill grinder. Our favorites so far are kicking horse, Deathwish coffee and valhalla by deathwish. Going to try bulletproof once or twice and continue to use the same beans. We drink coffee everyday out of enjoyment, not necessity. I'm usually up at 6 every day, even on the weekends and do not need coffee to wake up. If you need coffee to wake up, it means you have a poor diet, no energy and are addicted to coffee and cannot not have it.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Some coffee makers say that due to the cooking/baking process of the darker roast beans, the caffeine is reduced. Lighter roast coffees tend to be more acidic and more caffeinated than a darker roast. I prefer dark roast coffee over light roast but do enjoy a few medium roast coffees as well.

Rct851

Established Member
I have to say, its pretty incredible how addicted to caffeine you guys are lol. I have never heard of headaches from lack of caffeine, i didn't even know that was a thing. But multiple energy drinks, and coffees, and 5 hour energies. Not at all judging or downing anyone, i just never knew people really were as dependent on coffee as all the jokes seem to make it seem. Nobody just goes all natural and drinks fruit juices for a little extra boost? I will say that if I'm having a sluggish morning and I dont get my juicer going in the am, I am not the same for the rest of the day. But even then I've never needed my juicer on a daily basis.
I would sacrifice many infants if it meant I got my coffee

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member

What type of juices do you drink? 90% of bottled juiced has a shit ton of sugar and artificial chemicals. I stopped drinking all juices, sodas, etc because of that.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
What is everyone's view on cold brewed coffee? I don't particularly like the flavor of coffee, but have heard cold brewed coffee tastes different.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I do not drink coffee and I'm somewhat insensitive to caffeine. I was the odd ball at my last job but I would rather be tired then become dependant on it. I recently started to drink espresso sometimes in the morning and the jolt is fun. So far Italian is the only tolerable type, none of the bitter tasting poverty blends.

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
What type of juices do you drink? 90% of bottled juiced has a shit ton of sugar and artificial chemicals. I stopped drinking all juices, sodas, etc because of that.

I have a commercial grade juicer and usually do an apple, 3 oranges, a grape fruit, and 2 handfuls of carrots (all organic). If I'm really tired I substitute some of the carrots for a second apple. But i 100% agree, most of the bottled juices are full of crap. Naked Juice does really well keeping their stuff pure, and there are a few organic brands I trust. Fruits are naturally high in fructose, so sugar is always going to be involved whether your drinking something pre-bottled or eating it off the tree. In a pinch I will drink Minute Maid, but thats if im really tired and didnt have time to juice in the morning.

Sodas, i never ever drink. Even on my cheat days It is basically a no-no. Once in a blue moon ill have a cherry coke, and since its so rare the taste is SO sweet its like a treat for me. I save the sugar indulgence for ice cream on my cheat day (usually sunday)

BlackOutUT

Established Member
I have a commercial grade juicer and usually do an apple, 3 oranges, a grape fruit, and 2 handfuls of carrots (all organic). If I'm really tired I substitute some of the carrots for a second apple. But i 100% agree, most of the bottled juices are full of crap. Naked Juice does really well keeping their stuff pure, and there are a few organic brands I trust. Fruits are naturally high in fructose, so sugar is always going to be involved whether your drinking something pre-bottled or eating it off the tree. In a pinch I will drink Minute Maid, but thats if im really tired and didnt have time to juice in the morning.

Sodas, i never ever drink. Even on my cheat days It is basically a no-no. Once in a blue moon ill have a cherry coke, and since its so rare the taste is SO sweet its like a treat for me. I save the sugar indulgence for ice cream on my cheat day (usually sunday)
Have you read up on nakeds lately? They were my go to for a long time until recently.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
I make a pot of coffee, 7 days a week, the wife will drink a couple of cups before she leaves for work and I drink the rest of it through out the day.

Black for me, 1/2 & 1/2 + sugar for her.

I use the whole bean, dark roasted, Sumatran, from Costco and have a burr grinder for it.

I have never had the need to "drop the kids off at the pool" from drinking coffee and if I don't have it, I have never experienced any bad side effects.

I can dink a cup before bed and sleep like the dead.

-Brian

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
Have you read up on nakeds lately? They were my go to for a long time until recently.

Wow, thanks for letting me know. I had no idea about their law suits over false 'gmo-free' and 'all natural' advertising. I haven't bought a Naked juice in around 9 months or so, but the articles I read briefly said it was reimbursing people as far back as 2007! Smh, its insane what we are consuming as a country. I was about to make a sandwhich this morning and noticed the bread my girlfriend bought ... had freaking high fructose corn syrup in it!!! I would have expected (yet not eaten) enriched flour, but corn syrup. smh

Sorry if this is slightly dis-railing the coffee thread. I originally posted up the juice stuff since it can be a great alternative to coffee. Apples do have more sugar than coffee, and can give you that extra boost you need in the morning. But the important thing to note too is that on the glycemic index (basically how fast sugar makes its way into your blood stream) an apple is a low 35ish, and table sugar people add to coffee is around 70. But black coffee is really the way to go. I never even thought about the melting/heated up plastic in K-cups. That right there is enough to make me want to ditch it for an old Mr Coffee. I totally agree you can never get the K cups to be dark enough either.

Users who are viewing this thread