• Tri Ax

Votes: 348 52.7%
  • Pro 5.0

Votes: 312 47.3%

• Total voters

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Loctite Tite’N for Bolts. You may also want to consider epoxy or cold weld compound.

ltv1

Established Member
Originally posted by 03blacksnake
I just installed the Pro 5.0 and it is like night and day over the stock shifter. I don't know about the Steeda, but I love the feel of the Pro 5.0

I did notice that after driving the car 300 miles back home the handle started to vibrate loose and I had to re-tighten it. Are any of you using anything (lock tight, etc) to prevent this?

Yes, do fix that.
Mine came loose during heavy use one night. Almost punched out my radio. Luckily I was able to thread it together to get home. it was as useless as a rubber dong. I am glad the parts didn't fall down into the console, like my allen wrench did after I fixed it.

I still carry an allen wrench in the glove box. Never saw that one coming.

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
I'm using the Blu Thunder shifter from UPR. At $149 its a bargain. It's also a direct copy of the Tri-ax. In fact Steeda and UPR are suing one another over the design.

I'm definitely satisfied with the Blu Thunder. I'll probably put one into my 5.0 which has a Tremec.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Like 2fast said. Tri-ax makes some noise in the beginning...chit a lot of noise on mine but went away after 1000 miles or so. I can still hear it a little but the Exhaust covers a lot of it.

Never missed 3rd or 2nd but friends have. Id understand if they missed it with the stock one but with the tri-ax how i dont know?

steveforte

Established Member
I bought mine from http://www.stangshifters.com free shipping, received it so fast...

My tri-ax is great! Never tried the pro 5.0 but I'm sure they're both great. The tri-ax is supposedly bent towards the driver better than the pro 5.0. I believe the pro 5.0 handle is just straight, while the Tri-ax is bent 3 ways... to the left, up and back towards the driver.

Steve

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
Originally posted by Wild Bill
I have the UPR shifter and MGW handle comming.I hope they are good pieces.Any thoughts?

Thoughts? Yeah, the UPR instructions stink. It doesn't say, but you should put a thin bead of RTV around the shifter opening in the transmission, where the shifter will contact the tranny housing. Not too much RTV, just a little is enough.

Also, I used synthetic grease to coat the "ball" which is located on the bottom of the shaft (the "ball" is the part that inserts into the tranny).

Also be careful when removing the shift console. I understand new ones cost $400.

I took my time so it required about 45 minutes.

Hope this helps!

NOGM4ME

Wasted Rock Ranger
Established Member
Just put the Tri-ax in mine and it's a big improvement over the stock piece. Theres definetly a noise difference but not annoying.
Can't compare to the other shifters but I like this one!

Wild Bill

Established Member
I just canceled my order with UPR.It has been over a week.No shifter,no calls,no e mail on why its taking so long or if its even in stock.I tried to call them today and message says that number is no longer in service.I ordered the Steeda Tri-ax instead.

dkd58

Established Member
I have a Pro 5.0 that I'm happy with and as a result of reading the posts in this thread I ordered the adjustable MGW handle. I started out with the stock handle adapter bushings sold by pro5 but later switched to the shorty handle after running the quarter. It took some getting used to, I kept changing cd's unintentionally. I have concluded that ANY shifter is better than the comparatively flimsy stock shifter but a replacement should come with an adjustable handle. After all, this is a custom piece of equipment so why not make it easy for the discriminating consumer to get the perfect fit. Are you listening Pro 5.0 and Steeda?

One Fast Cobra

Established Member
dkd58
I don't know about the Pro 5.0 but my Steeda Tri-Ax came with an adjustable shift lever. I set mine at the lower setting and it works great... Maybe you should of tried the Steeda and you wouldn't have had to buy an additional MGW adjustable shift lever.:beer: :beer: :beer:

Last edited:

03redfiresnake

Established Member
redfirevenom, I have the pro5.0 shifter with the triax handle, (and the stock knob) I am 5-11 and it works perfectly- the only thing I have seen that kind of appeals to me a little more is the retro looking handles that look like the hurst shifters in the 60's and 70's, with a t handle or ball.

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
FWIW - I was reading an article on the Tri-ax where the installer used a urethane (neoprene?) gasket between the shifter and the trans.

It's supposed to cut down on vibration and noise. I think I'll try this...

Users who are viewing this thread