Tri Ax or Pro 5.0

• Tri Ax

Votes: 348 52.7%
  • Pro 5.0

Votes: 312 47.3%

• Total voters

davidmax

Established Member
I have the pro 5.0,with LTD. experience with the Steeda,The pro 5.0 is a great shifter a little vague from 5th to 3rd but all around a great tool.Dave S.

ALA G8R

Banned
I went with the Tri-ax. Spring quides shifting from 2nd to 3rd works great. 4th to 5th is easy also.

Comes with two height settings. I use the taller setting. I love the whine of the transmission I get using the Tri-ax.

SVT 03 Cobra

I have te Tri-ax with MGW handle and Redline D4 tranny fluid. This is the ultimate setup in my opinion, but everyone has diffent driving styles and preferences. Try just the MGW handle 1st, as it is only about $40. Best of luck.

Jayson

VNMHISS

Established Member
I had a STEEDA Tri-ax in my '98 Cobra for three years. Great shifter BUT,I always grinded 2nd gear,when trying to powershift over 5000 rpm. I recently switched to a Pro-5.0 w/STEEDA handle and I have never ginded 2nd gear since.(knock on wood) It has enabled me to powershift with confidence,and run my best personal E.T. They felt similiar,but the Pro-5.0 felt twice as smooth in all the gates,than the STEEDA even after three years of use. I do agree the Pro-5.0 handle is too short,and really strained my neck to reach 5th gear.(I have long arms too). As far as having to trim the rubber boot. I discovered the rubber boot to be pretty torn up,and getting rubber gunk all over(and inside the STEEDA shifter mechanism). I think the Pro-5.0/trimmed boot,looks alot cleaner. Here's where I bought mine(Free shipping) $189.99 www.gtrhipo.com

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Putting a new shifter in your car shouldn't void your warranty. Even if you did have some problems and need to take it in for work, you could probably change it in 20 minutes once you have done it the first time. I chose the Pro 5.0 and am now deciding between a MGW handle or a Tri-ax handle. Any feedback on either one?

Btw, Sheehy ford here in MD has the Pro 5.0 in stock for $160.

Last edited:

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by Redfire2003Cobr
Putting a new shifter in your car shouldn't void your warranty.

I agree that it shouldn't, but it definately can. There's a post somewhere on this board of a guy who's warranty was nearly voided due to the shifter. 03Blackcobra I think it was...

Ford is broke right now and is taking every chance they can to void warranties. Don't think anyone on here will help you when the field engineer voids your warranty.

Mod at your own risk.

Last edited:

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
we have a used 03 cobra with a pro 5.0 and cat-x and catbacks, we had NO problem certifying it, giving the powertrain more then twice the standard warranty, and its my no means the most modded certified used car weve sold:thumbsup:

jtfx6552

Established Member
Pro 5.0 has a new, well at least relatively new handle for their T-56 shifter in an SN-95. They call it their "mid length" handle. It is powder coated, unlike the handle that originally came with the shifter (which I found unusable).

I switched from the stock handle on the pro 50 which was real nice, to the mid length handle which is great.

JT

ltv1

Established Member
Originally posted by HIGH ROLLER
I have the pro50 in my car right now and tommorrow it is coming out,i had no problem shifting with the stock shifter and since i put the pro50 in i have not been comfortable with it,granted the throws are quicker with just a click but for some reason i just cannot find 4th gear at WOT:shrug: and my stops are set just fine.I am going to try the MGW handle on stock shifter or try the triax shifter after that.

I have that same problem @WOT. I also have to rev pretty hard from 5th to get into 4th or I hear a small grind. When not WOT everything is fine. What type of adjustments can be made? I would hate to trash it, it works well otherwise. Tranny is new, old one was replaced.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Ordered the TriAx today. Feedback on both shifters has been positive, I figured I couldn't make a bad choice. The deciding factor for me was not having to cut the boot.

Sin

Established Member
Had a Tri-Ax in my 00GT, compared to my 5.0 I have now....no comparison that the 5.0 is better (cant tell by the polls though)

One Fast Cobra

Established Member
Brad,
It comes down to personal preference. I like the Tri-Ax better, although the Pro5.0 is an OK shifter. I recommend the Steeda Tri-Ax to my friends or anyone that asks. Good luck with
your 03 Cobra... :beer: :beer: :beer:

MadNesss

Established Member
Originally posted by TOC
Guess I must be the only person on this board that has installed the 03 Cobra Kirban shifter. Have to say it is very well made and you can power shift 2nd to 3rd gear without blowing the shift, also doesn't seem to transmit much noise. I added their polished alum. shift ball and like the look (kind of like the Bullit Mustang).

Have a Kirban on 93 Cobra open track car (has a Tremec 3550), and it's what sold me on using one for my 03.

Just thought I'd let everyone know there is yet another alternative out there.

Nope you aint the only one ;) I to have and LOVE the Kirban... everyone I know with Vettes and Vipers with the t56 ALL use the Kirban... we couldnt be happier with ours :)

03blacksnake

Time Traveler
Established Member
I just installed the Pro 5.0 and it is like night and day over the stock shifter. I don't know about the Steeda, but I love the feel of the Pro 5.0

I did notice that after driving the car 300 miles back home the handle started to vibrate loose and I had to re-tighten it. Are any of you using anything (lock tight, etc) to prevent this?

Users who are viewing this thread