Polished Stinger Exhaust (Lots of Pics)

zeus201

Established Member
Figured I'd share my Stinger catback I polished up a few months ago and finally got around to posting. Even though it required a "little" elbow grease, this is something that is totally worth it!

Process was pretty much identical to 04Sleepers:

- 180 Grit Flapper Wheel
- 600 (probably wasn't necessary)
- Cotton Buffing wheel with Megs Mag / Aluminum Polish

I wish I took pictures during the sanding process...:bash:, but the unpolished pipes is basically the way they came which wasn't a big deal as I got the catback for an amazing deal. I didn't do much around the welds for the exhaust tips as I didn't want to scuff up the chrome tips.

There are still some imperfections on the pipes that I should have went back and re-sanded, but I was eager to get it on the car. Perhaps I'll take it off over the winter, re-sand, and get it up to 04Sleeper level :beer:

Pictures taken on a overcast day:

DSC05775.gif

DSC05776.gif

DSC05777.gif

DSC05781.gif

DSC05783.gif

DSC05786.gif

DSC05791.gif

DSC05802.gif

Not sure what those streaks are on the black insert, but they aren't there anymore :nonono:
DSC05871.gif

Ryan

ps - i have my old duracoat mac catback laying around it anyone wants to buy it.

mi_l123

JDM = Just Dust ME
Established Member
Looks good ! do you really need the 180 Grit Flapper Wheel ? i plan on polishing mine soon, so buying the sandpaper etc.

oldmodman

Established Member
It turned out great, even if you did go a little overboard on the sanding steps.
But I can't argue about the results. Absolutely mirror like finish.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
Looks good ! do you really need the 180 Grit Flapper Wheel ? i plan on polishing mine soon, so buying the sandpaper etc.

IMO the flapper wheel is a must. it will really knock off the grime fast and also get alot of the imperfections from the mandrel bending process out so you can finish things off nice.

bwahl602

Established Member
awesome job

has anyone used clear powdercoat or paint to try to seal in the polish job so they can just be "washed" and not re-buffed often?

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
I thought you wanted to get rid of it!

Looks good though.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
awesome job

has anyone used clear powdercoat or paint to try to seal in the polish job so they can just be "washed" and not re-buffed often?

Once you get a good coat of polish on them the upkeep is very minor. I just wipe mine down when I wipe the car down.

zeus201

Established Member

Like forcefed said...the flapper wheel is worth it!

It turned out great, even if you did go a little overboard on the sanding steps.
But I can't argue about the results. Absolutely mirror like finish.

Thanks...now I have all this sandpaper laying around.

looks great, how long did it take you?

I worked on it an hour or two for about a week. Once you get above 1000 grit, it's smooth sailing.

awesome job

Upkeep is minimal.

I thought you wanted to get rid of it!

Looks good though.

Thanks!

I always have the thought in my mind to get rid of it...even had a serious buyer but I backed out at the last minute. Just something about this car that prevents me from selling it...:??:

Users who are viewing this thread