Votes: 170 95.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
Thank you for taking the time to take the pictures and do the write up. It is much appreciated

the only thing I would ask, is do you have any tips/expierence for guys who do this to a cat back that has miles on it? I want to do this to mine, but I am to scared of getting started only to get frustrated becuase of road gunk built up on the pipes.

Thanks again:beer:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Thank you for taking the time to take the pictures and do the write up. It is much appreciated

the only thing I would ask, is do you have any tips/expierence for guys who do this to a cat back that has miles on it? I want to do this to mine, but I am to scared of getting started only to get frustrated becuase of road gunk built up on the pipes.

As long as you wipe them off when you wash your car you should have no problem. Also just do a touch up polish to them with some Mothers by hand every so often will keep them looking good for a long time.

Looks awesome Kevin! Want to do this sometime soon also.
Thanks Andy. :beer:

Outstanding.I`ll be doing this when i get a ss catback.Another Sticky vote
Thanks Brad. I am going to make a Sticky Poll and see if we can get this done.

rstang98

Game on
Established Member
Quick questions...how hard are you pushing on the sand paper, how fast are you sanding and how long did you sand each section for?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Quick questions...how hard are you pushing on the sand paper, how fast are you sanding and how long did you sand each section for?
You have to use a LOT of elbow grease with the sand paper. I am pushing about as hard as I can to get the results I want with each grit.

I do not know how long it takes each section, you just keep sanding until you break down all the marks from the previous grit. Each grit gets easier and easier though. Getting started is the hardest part.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
04sleeper.......Sorry, I don't think I worded my question in a clear manner.

My cat back has alot of road grime on it, it was used when I bought it. The cat back you polished was brand new.

Any tips/tricks for those who are starting out with a cat back that's got tar/rocks already on there?? I wasn't sure if there was a great method or way to get that initial layer of gunk off there before you get to the smaller gritted sandpaper.

Thanks

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Kevin..I hate you. Now I have another project I am too lazy to tackle.

Anyone who posted wishing to have a SS to try this on, feel free to come to Kentucky and you can practice on mine!

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator

My catback was used and actually not even shiney when I received it. I just cleaned it really well with a degreaser and S.O.S. pad and let it dry. Then the next day I started the polish portion.

My94GT

Established Member
04sleeper.......Sorry, I don't think I worded my question in a clear manner.

My cat back has alot of road grime on it, it was used when I bought it. The cat back you polished was brand new.

Any tips/tricks for those who are starting out with a cat back that's got tar/rocks already on there?? I wasn't sure if there was a great method or way to get that initial layer of gunk off there before you get to the smaller gritted sandpaper.

Thanks

my advice is use some sort of strong aluminum wheel cleaer and a sos pad to clean the pipes befor hand then contiune with the posted process.

edit- red turtle beat me to it haha

blksvtCOBRA714

Established Member
Really nice work and looks great. I've wanted to do this for awhile but due to the lack of time I haven't had the chance but when I get the chance I will be following this write-up thanks!

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
how is this NOT a sticky? especially seeing some of the bullshit in the Terminator talk forum thats years old and nobody even cares about anymore. This is good relevant detailing information that ANY new 03/04 Terminator owner (or anyone who wants nice looking catback) needs to see.

Users who are viewing this thread