Please School Me on Basic Tuning

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
Ok, so in about 3 weeks I'm going to be getting a 2.93 upper and a tune. From all my reading and research, I figure I have three options, please tell me if I'm correct:

1) Amazon has a cool package that has the pulley, belt, plugs and SCT with custom tune...would I just take this to my local guy and have him install it and then strap it on the dyno to get my #'s and a/f and be done with it?

2) Go to a local tuner, have him install everything and do his own tune and adjust as necessary.

3) Go to a local guy, have him install the stuff and load a canned tune...does a company like SCT account for modifications such as intake, exhaust and pullye? Or is it a basic tune that will adjust timing and straighten out the a/f? Is a canned tune even worth considering with a pulley?

If anyone has any more suggestions as to what I should do, I would greatly appreciate it. I know all about what the tune will do, why a smaller pulley is better, etc...I just don't know THE best way to go about getting it done.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
From your post it sounds like you may not trust your local tuner.

Every car is different so "Canned" tunes should be avoided.

I would go with option "1" and get the tune from Amazon and have a local dyno verify the A/F and send the datalog and dyno file back to Amazon to make sure the car is doing what they tuned it for.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Ok, so in about 3 weeks I'm going to be getting a 2.93 upper and a tune. From all my reading and research, I figure I have three options, please tell me if I'm correct:

1) Amazon has a cool package that has the pulley, belt, plugs and SCT with custom tune...would I just take this to my local guy and have him install it and then strap it on the dyno to get my #'s and a/f and be done with it?

I agree with Kevin, this is the option I'd go with. Rick has enough experience and has tuned enough cars where you can pretty much get the car dead on if he know's the combo. I would definetely strap it to a dyno and get the AFR along with the datalogs through the handheld tuner and email all that to Rick. If there are any issues while on the dyno those logs and dyno runs will allow him to fine tune it without being there.

2) Go to a local tuner, have him install everything and do his own tune and adjust as necessary.

Unless you have a good local tuner that has experience with these cars I wouldn't take this route. I have a few local tuners to me that are certified yet I drive the 2.5hrs each way to see Rick for my tuning. I wouldn't trust the local guys to tune my basically stock Explorer.

3) Go to a local guy, have him install the stuff and load a canned tune...does a company like SCT account for modifications such as intake, exhaust and pullye? Or is it a basic tune that will adjust timing and straighten out the a/f? Is a canned tune even worth considering with a pulley?

Definetely the last option I would take. The canned tune that comes with the handhelds is very generic and I wouldn't trust on my car at all. Sometimes the AFR looks good on some cars but the timing is very low and didn't get the full potential out of the pulley swap, along with other parameters like part throttle driving and idle issues a real tune can make better won't be taken into account with a canned tune. Others the AFR looks horrid and the car has too much timing. Either way I wouldn't trust it.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
From your post it sounds like you may not trust your local tuner.

Every car is different so "Canned" tunes should be avoided.

I would go with option "1" and get the tune from Amazon and have a local dyno verify the A/F and send the datalog and dyno file back to Amazon to make sure the car is doing what they tuned it for.

I agree w/Kevin also.I did this w/a different tuner via datalogs and e-mail,but I have a w/b in my car to verify the a/f ratio.

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
Thank you guys! This is basically validating my instincts to go with option 1, which is the package deal with custom SCT tune. Even though I've got basic stuff (intake, exhaust, 2.93 eventually), the more knowledge I have the better. Plus Amazon's done these thousand's of times I'm sure...

It's not that I don't trust my tuner, he just doesn't really tune that many Cobras or Mustangs specifically. The guy he brings in to do that won't be around much, so I basically have a local guy who's got tons of mechanical knowledge but not sure that he's a 'Mustang' guy. He's more of a general tuner. I also don't think he'd have a problem installing the package, especially if his Mustang tuner isn't around.

If Rick and Linn are that good (as I've read), then I'm going to assume that once I load the tune with the 2.93 - there really shouldn't be any adjustments necessary. Just confirmation of the #'s on his dyno jet. I am not looking to squeeze every last HP out of the car - I just want some solid gains with the upper, and a nice flat a/f.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Thank you guys! This is basically validating my instincts to go with option 1, which is the package deal with custom SCT tune. Even though I've got basic stuff (intake, exhaust, 2.93 eventually), the more knowledge I have the better. Plus Amazon's done these thousand's of times I'm sure...

It's not that I don't trust my tuner, he just doesn't really tune that many Cobras or Mustangs specifically. The guy he brings in to do that won't be around much, so I basically have a local guy who's got tons of mechanical knowledge but not sure that he's a 'Mustang' guy. He's more of a general tuner. I also don't think he'd have a problem installing the package, especially if his Mustang tuner isn't around.

If Rick and Linn are that good (as I've read), then I'm going to assume that once I load the tune with the 2.93 - there really shouldn't be any adjustments necessary. Just confirmation of the #'s on his dyno jet. I am not looking to squeeze every last HP out of the car - I just want some solid gains with the upper, and a nice flat a/f.
I wouldn't just "Assume" that the tune will be perfect on the first try. Is is possible? Sure. But you know what happens when you "Ass-U-Me" anything.

There are simply too many other factors that come into play when tuning. No 2 cars are exactly the same. (Even if you have the exact same parts).

It's good to hear that your local shop has mechanical experience, but it is nice to have lots of first hand experience when tuning 03-04 Cobra specific cars. (Like Amazon has)

Now would also be a great time to learn how to datalog your self with LiveLink. It can be a great tool when paired with your handheld tuner.

If you have the know how to navigate this site, then you can easily learn how to datalog. It's really a great way to learn about your car and what it's doing. That way you don't have to "Assume" that your car is doing what you want it to, you can actually see it!

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I wouldn't just "Assume" that the tune will be perfect on the first try. Is is possible? Sure. But you know what happens when you "Ass-U-Me" anything.

There are simply too many other factors that come into play when tuning. No 2 cars are exactly the same. (Even if you have the exact same parts).

It's good to hear that your local shop has mechanical experience, but it is nice to have lots of first hand experience when tuning 03-04 Cobra specific cars. (Like Amazon has)

Now would also be a great time to learn how to datalog your self with LiveLink. It can be a great tool when paired with your handheld tuner.

If you have the know how to navigate this site, then you can easily learn how to datalog. It's really a great way to learn about your car and what it's doing. That way you don't have to "Assume" that your car is doing what you want it to, you can actually see it!

LiveLink is a great tool.Here is a old log using Livelink
Livelink.jpg

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
Rick also does remote tuning sessions..all you need to do is set it up with him for when you are going to be on the dyno in your location..there is a $250 charge.. as long as there is internet available at the shop he can tune your vehicle from right here in SC..he has been doing this for several years and is a great way to take advantage of all his years of expereince and get your tune optimalized on a dyno in your area....

Users who are viewing this thread