please help with wideband install

dlaude

Established Member
ordered an autometer wideband and it should be coming today. Just checked out the instructions online prior to install to see what I'll be dealing with. Read a few other wideband install posts so I got a good idea on what I'm doing, but I'm not certain on where I should connect some wires to. From autometer's website:

"Red Wire(Power):
Connect to a fused and switched 12V positive source
that is turned on and off with the ignition switch. Place
a 3 amp automotive fuse (available commercially) in line with this connection to protect your gauge. It is
recommended that vehicles without alternators connect
this wire to a separate switch or direct to the vehicle’s
master cutoff switch. (See Sensor Heating Element Section)

Black Wire(Ground):
Connect to good engine ground.

Brown Wire(Optional Peak/Recall & Warning WOT Switch):
Connect to Wide Open Throttle Switch. Required for
Peak Recall Functionality."

For the red wire I've read to get an add a fuse and connect to cig lighter. Are add a fuses that simple? Just saw a pic, and yes they look that easy haha. Just connect the wire to the add a fuse, plug the fuse in and done. For black wire, saw the ground just below the fuse box, so I should be good there. But I want to hook up the brown wire so I can do the peak recall. Where should I connect this? IE - where can I easily access a/the WOT switch? Thanks.

Terminated03

Established Member
Use add-a-fuse with #5 fuse.

Run ground to negative battery terminal.

I just did this last week with my wideband (AEM) and everything worked great. Running the ground to the negative terminal is a bit anal, but it is correct.

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
Use add-a-fuse with #5 fuse.

Run ground to negative battery terminal.

I just did this last week with my wideband (AEM) and everything worked great. Running the ground to the negative terminal is a bit anal, but it is correct.

Describe the add a fuse.

And why would you run a ground to the battery terminal? You can get a good ground in a lot of places, just make sure to scrape the paint off. Plus to get technical the less wire on a ground the better.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Describe the add a fuse.

And why would you run a ground to the battery terminal? You can get a good ground in a lot of places, just make sure to scrape the paint off. Plus to get technical the less wire on a ground the better.

Pics of the "Add-a-Fuse" in this thread.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...nstallation-speedhut-gauges-sos-pod-pics.html
Running the ground to the battery or block is the best way to go. Whem I first installed my DJ w/b I used a chassis ground by thr radio and the w/b was real slow and goofy. Ran the ground direct to the battery and it made all the difference in the world. Some of guys have run a ground from the battery and hooked up a terminal strip so the can hook up other grounds for other things such as gauges, etc.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
My gauge works flawlessly using one of the fuse box screws for the ground. It seems to work for some and not so much with others. Just like the NGK TR6 spark plugs,lol.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I'm good on the red and black wires, but where should I route the brown one to?

Do you have a separate WOT switch installed?
If not either ignore the brown wire or buy and install a WOT switch.

dlaude

Established Member
Do you have a separate WOT switch installed?
If not either ignore the brown wire or buy and install a WOT switch.

Oh dang, didn't know I'd need a separate wot switch, thought I couldhook it up stock. Eh guess I'll ignore it. Haha. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread