Pics of blower removal

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by Dana
Terry,
Marks is a dry setup. Maybe 75 shot, unless he scaled it down.

Mark,
you're wife was right. You have waaaaaaaaaaay tooooo much time on your hands.
Are you going to at least have the INSIDE of the housing polished while its off?
Call Razor's Edge and talk to Paul about it.

Dan

Hey Dan,

That little project was my way of spending a little "me" time after the wife had me cleaning out the attic all day yesterday. ;-)

You know, I hate to say it but I was seriously considering removing the rotors and working the case BUT honestly there didn't seem to be much area for improvement.

Now, the intake ports of the heads however had a SHITLOAD of casting flash in them. My feeling is that a mild port & polish of the heads would net some NICE hp. If I ever yank the motor I'll do head work and cams.

MJ

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
Mark, did your TICK ever come back after you did the retorque yourself?

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Nice pictures, but you just took it off so you could clean the intake? I wish I had that kind of free time :)

Now go get the KB before that Eaton makes it back on!

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
Looks clean to me. I saw a KB swap on a Lightning this weekend. They also have the oil issue like we do. Although when i swapped my TB out i didnt notice as much oil as i saw on the Lightning.

Can you explain what exactly these oil issues are?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
it would be great if more people with pulley(s) could do teardown inspections to see if overspinning/overheating was affecting the Teflon

the nitrous theory does sound very plausible though....

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by caveman6666
Can you explain what exactly these oil issues are?

It is a normal problem with the closed loop design of modern vehicles. To prevent unmetered air from entering the system the vents from the top of the heads is connected to the intake path just in front of the throttle body. The problem is depending on the design the vacuum created in the intake path can result in a lot of oil entering the engine. I have heard that Corvette's have a really bad problem with this. It can be minimized by using an oil separator. Also some using open element breathers which some are very adamant against it due to the inability to monitor or control the air entering and leaving the system.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by JB
it would be great if more people with pulley(s) could do teardown inspections to see if overspinning/overheating was affecting the Teflon

the nitrous theory does sound very plausible though....

What about all these people removing the eaton for the KB. Most of them are probably using smaller the stock pulleys before the change. Pete should have an inventory.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by mjchip
Pic5: Teflon coating on rotors....okay atleast there's some left. :(

My feeling is that running nitrous through the blower is what caused the rotor coating to flake off. It's only speculation but it seems feasible that extremely cold air hitting hot rotors could be the cause. Thoughts?

MJ

Some of the moving partsd on the Space Shuttle are dry-lubed with PTFE, and they do not flake off - pretty cold up there.

BOOOOST

Established Member
Teflon flaking is standard issue on these blowers, even at stock boost levels, and no modifications (they flake on bone stock Lightnings all the time). On the Lightnings the flaking seemed to be a problem more so on the 99-00 years, though.

There are some dealers who was replacing the blowers on the Lightnings if they showed signs of flaking, when they were getting their intercooler recall upgrades done (99-00), only to find out they were doing it again after some miles.

There are aftermarket graphite rotors as well.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Other than the obvious, the loose teflon flakes blowing through the cylinders, has anyone figured out if the loss of the teflon on the rotors has any actual detrimental effects on the operation of the motor/blower?
Is there an alternative coating that could be applied to the stock rotors?
Would it be worth it?

Dana

vetkilr

When 600rwhp isnt enough.
Established Member
Does anyone know if the bolt pattern (for mounting) the M-112 blower is the same pattern as the M-90 one I might buy one of your old blowers if I can mount it on my intercooler!Or does anyone know if anyone makes a adapter plate.??????????
JOEL

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Informative thread. Balances out the otherwise fruitless material we encounter on a daily basis.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DarkShadow
Just curious. How long did it take you to remove the blower and misc parts etc..? And you have waaaaay too much time on your hands! lol

Well, about 45 minutes and then I got stuck. So, I called Don at Modular Madness and he gave me a BIG pointer. Ten minutes later it was apart. Took about the same to reinstall.

MJ

P.S. Yeah, too much time.....right! :)

Users who are viewing this thread