Painting Rotors, Opinions Wanted

Shoeman 1

Established Member
Need to paint my stock Cobra rotors which color should I go with, redo the Black or go with Silver?????????? Calipers are Red and the wheels are Silver Y2K's.
Thanks

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
The paint actually holds up well. I can't post pics now, but maybe you can see it in my sig. Mine are done silver, I really like it. It's not the best solution, but sure beats rust. I didn't let mine dry good and didn't have them taped off as well as they should have been, so mine aren't holding up excellent (been 7 months and still looks fine), but if done properly they'll hold up well. The key is prep, and that's something I didn't do much of.

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
Homo? I'm sorry, but not all of us are just rolling in money so that we can just buy new stuff anytime something like this happens. Myself, I had new rotors/pads put on the rear and within a month they were rusted. Brakes are 100% functional. Why replace something that isn't broke? I painted them, and now it looks much better and only cost a few bucks versus a few hundred.
IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

Shoeman 1

Established Member
Homo? I'm sorry, but not all of us are just rolling in money so that we can just buy new stuff anytime something like this happens. Myself, I had new rotors/pads put on the rear and within a month they were rusted. Brakes are 100% functional. Why replace something that isn't broke? I painted them, and now it looks much better and only cost a few bucks versus a few hundred.
+1 on that
Rotors are fine less than 35K on them, just dingy original paint breaking down (not rusty). Leaning towards the silver, I like the way yours look!!!!!

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i went with red. it's a little flashy but the car is white and i think it goes well together. homo's get there stuff zinc plated!

DSCN1435.gif

Last edited:

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
damn. i misunderstood the thread. calipers are red but i did repaint the rotors, i painted them with high heat silver. it came out nice i think.

DSCN1433.gif

ARdoller

Established Member
...but the only place you have paint left is that thin little stripe closest to the hub where the pads dont touch the rotor.

NoviBlown92

Tire Smoker
Established Member
Guys the reason people paint their rotors is so that you don't see all the rust on the rotor hat. Yes it comes off where the pads wear but it stays on the cent part. I got tired of looking at nasty rusted rotors so I sprayed mine with high temp black paint. Looks awesome now. Those of you who don't understand what they are talking about scare me. How hard is it to understand? :shrug:

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
My car is my daily driver. I drive 15-20k miles a year. I painted mine over 7 months ago and they're holding up great to this day. The only area that rusts in the center portion of the rotor, where the pads don't contact. This is the area we are painting. I taped off the outer portion of the rotor where the pad does touch, no rust there so not a problem.The pads don't touch this area, so how can they strip off the paint? It's not difficult to understand. Here You can see the before. This is only about a month after new rotors.
IMG_0314.jpg

Last edited:

SVTPower97

she's broken :(
Established Member
Guys the reason people paint their rotors is so that you don't see all the rust on the rotor hat. Yes it comes off where the pads wear but it stays on the cent part. I got tired of looking at nasty rusted rotors so I sprayed mine with high temp black paint. Looks awesome now. Those of you who don't understand what they are talking about scare me. How hard is it to understand? :shrug:

pretty hard from reading the thread until you explained it lol...i saw people arguing back and forth but didn't see any paint on anyones rotors til i found out where to look...nice idea tho guess i'll be homo and do mine too but i think im gonna try black since my wheels are black

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
I never could find pics of black when I did mine, so I chose silver (especially with my chrome wheels). Look forward to pics of the black though. And yes, just use high temp paint and you should be fine. I'd really like to find some high temp clear coat to use, but didn't have any luck when I did mine.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Black rotors with dark shadow grey calipers to match the car.-Shane
DSC00441.jpg

Zinc Coated on the Cobra..
IMG_0206.jpg

ARdoller

Established Member
maybe its just me, but it looks kinda dumb just having one small inch-wide ring of paint around the hub, and nowhere else. i mean, i could see if the entire rotor was painted, and the paint didnt come off when the brakes were applied, but just to have that small ring painted, looks out of place.

NoviBlown92

Tire Smoker
Established Member
maybe its just me, but it looks kinda dumb just having one small inch-wide ring of paint around the hub, and nowhere else. i mean, i could see if the entire rotor was painted, and the paint didnt come off when the brakes were applied, but just to have that small ring painted, looks out of place.

More out of place than the ring of rust? If you use black it doesn't even stand out. Every time I look at a car with nice wheel and calipers but rusted rotors I cringe.

Users who are viewing this thread