Painting Rotors, Opinions Wanted

RedTwilight

Shinigami Akakage
Established Member
Next time try painting the entire caliper. Then let the paint sit for 45 minutes till it's soft and use a flat tip exacto knife to remove the tops of the Cobra letters. This way the wall and the area around the letters looks great. Dont do the vasoline or sandpaper.-Shane

I just masked off the letters and the surrounding area.
Then painted the entire caliper with a silver metallic base, then sprayed the red. Removed the masking, then took a small brush and filled the area around the letters with silver. No sanding, no scrapping, no vaseline. Just removed the tape.

Last edited:

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I just masked off the letters and the surrounding area.
Then painted the entire caliper with a silver metallic base, then sprayed the red. Removed the masking, then took a small brush and field the area around the letters with silver. No sanding, no scrapping, no vaseline. Just removed the tape.

Unless you have 100 hours and a magnifying glass, I doubt you coated the walls of the raised letters perfectly with tape hanging over the raised edges. Might sound overkill but I do want the best I can possible do. Try it my way next time and see how it works for you. :beer:-Shane

RedTwilight

Shinigami Akakage
Established Member
Unless you have 100 hours and a magnifying glass, I doubt you coated the walls of the raised letters perfectly with tape hanging over the raised edges. Might sound overkill but I do want the best I can possible do. Try it my way next time and see how it works for you. :beer:-Shane

Painted them silver with the micro brush!;-) The tape was only to keep the red from getting onto the letters ,"walls", and fill area. No I might not have gotten them all perfectly but I was running short on time to use the shop. I didn't even remove the caliper from the car. Just hung it while I was replacing the rotors and pads.
I've got an extra set of calipers that I'm going to take my time on and do it right.:thumbsup::burnout:

Back on topic: Next time if I don't get the zinc rotors I'll probably paint the rotor centers black.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread